UKC

Freemasons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 woolsack 07 Apr 2014
What would the attraction be for Policemen joining this odd outfit?

What's this all about?
 thermal_t 07 Apr 2014
In reply to woolsack: My local lodge had a Premier League referee as a member, can't think what they would have to gain from it either, maybe Andy Carroll was a member there as well!

tony 07 Apr 2014
In reply to woolsack:

They're part of an international conspiracy designed to give conspiracy theorists free rein to indulge in whatever tosh they choose to indulge in. They're closely related to shape-shifting reptiles. I thought everyone knew that.
 Scarab9 07 Apr 2014
In reply to woolsack:

While its wrapped in bullshit, the attraction for many is

1/ the feeling of being in a club, even an 'exclusive' one

2/ the belief (rather misguidedly) that there's s whole host of people out there who'll do them favours if they know the secret handshakes.
My dad was briefly one and was convinced if he was ever before a judge he just needed to do the handshake.
I should probably clarify that he was an idiot.
 The New NickB 07 Apr 2014
In reply to woolsack:

There is certainly a perception of membership helping to gain you influential friends, there is some truth to this, but probably not as much as there used to be. It is a club for old fashioned blokes with a bit of cash and generally right of centre views. I know my local lodge is dominated by the local Conservative Party and the provincial grand master is a former Tory Minister.
mgco3 07 Apr 2014
In reply to woolsack:

Dont forget the Lady Masons, or Maisonettes as we Royal Arch chaps refer to them as.

OP woolsack 07 Apr 2014
In reply to woolsack:

I'm just curious why it has the attraction for coppers in particular
 Albert Tatlock 07 Apr 2014
In reply to woolsack:

Perhaps the same reason that the following join;
Doctors
Politicians
Opticians
Builders
Bankers
Publishers
Local Government workers
Business people
Financial / Insurance workers
Climbers ?
Et al
 Choss 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

why would Climbers join the Freemasons?

Theyve got the much more Secretive and sinister Climbers Club

<Laughs and runs away before puppythedog Turns up>
andymac 07 Apr 2014
In reply to woolsack:

Believe gaining entry is advantageous to future career prospects.

And goat grooming skills.

Owen W-G 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Choss:

I met a climber who was one, said the main reason he was in was that they look after each other's families if anything happened to them. Interesting and unusual guy and a total nutter.
 Albert Tatlock 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Choss:

Or even worse the Alpine club !
 The Lemming 07 Apr 2014
In reply to woolsack:

There's nothing sinister about The mason's that I am aware of.

Its primarily just a place where like minded men can go to have an evening out from their wives. The do a bit of stuff in the Lodge Room and then wander down the the Dining Room for some nosh and a bit of fund raising.

Before the Lottery Fund came along The Mason's were the largest donators to charity in the country. Since then, they have been knocked into second place. Not a bad effort for some blokes having a good night out and helping local causes, mostly unpublicised too.

I can assure you that there is no preferential treatment in any walk of life or within any official setting where a funny handshake will get you off a fine or other such nonsense.

If people want to know what goes on either ask a Mason, join a Lodge or research it on that tinterweb.

Its a peculiar system of morality, veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbols.

Why not knock on the door of your local lodge and ask to look round?

http://www.ugle.org.uk/
 Choss 07 Apr 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Think youve got our Lizard overlords at the masons mixed up with the local rotary club.
 David Barratt 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Choss:

I was of the understanding that the Masons and the Rotary club were very similar. I know the masons are far mor open than many believe. My brother was intrigued so asked to join and was invited along. He chose not to join in the end because religion (or at least belief in a creator) is quite central.
 The Lemming 08 Apr 2014
In reply to David Barratt:

> (or at least belief in a creator) is quite central.

And que the hard-line atheists to vent their ill informed views.

If you want to know what it is all about then ask a Mason, or contact their website.

There is no great mystery, its just a bunch of men in a Men Only club getting away from their wives.

Unlike the movies, nobody gets a free ride or let off when they break the law.

Choss 08 Apr 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Ssshhh!!!

Youve said too much Already
 Kevster 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Choss:

In reply to the OP, what attracts people to be coppers? What a wierd bunch.....

I thought it was just a boys club for older men, an excuse for a meal out with the lads and maybe do some good/self discovery at the same time.
Personally I so far took the more selfish route of going fishing occasionally.
 Mike Stretford 08 Apr 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> Why not knock on the door of your local lodge and ask to look round?

I don't think I'd get in the Sine Favore lodge

http://www.essex-lodges.org/docs/misc/sine_favore.pdf

OP: Promotion prospects I've been told by a non-mason cop, and the chance to have a chin wag in private.
 Mike Stretford 08 Apr 2014

> He chose not to join in the end because religion (or at least belief in a creator) is quite central.

Yeah as long as you have 'religious belief' yer in. It's a funny one that, you can't join if you don't believe in anything but you can if it contradicts what other masons believe in (best be careful, I'll have a rodent snapping at my ankles).
Jim C 08 Apr 2014
In reply to woolsack:
> What would the attraction be for Policemen joining this odd outfit?

> What's this all about?

youtube.com/watch?v=yUD4vTW5SS4&

My old man was a Mason ( top bloke, never did anyone a bad turn in his life)

They did , lots of charity work and general good deeds is what I remember.
( and they had great kids parties- or at least they were good back in the 60's anyway)
Post edited at 19:11
 Tom Valentine 08 Apr 2014

Perhaps the Oddfellows might have suited him better. I don't think religion is central to their mission.
 plyometrics 08 Apr 2014
In reply to woolsack:
Interested to see the evidence that backs up your assertion that the masons "attracts coppers in particular". I know quite a few masons, but none who are policemen.

I suspect the reason people think it does is because it makes good news for shite like the Daily Mail.

Nice to see some reasonable thoughts from people regarding the masons on here. It's an organisation that raises a great deal of cash for charity and provides many men with a tight knit social oulet.

Yes, it's shrouded in secrecy and involves rituals, but that's what helps make it more special for those who join. But as others have said, they'd happily show anyone round their lodge and talk more about what's involved in masonry.

Also, whilst it is a men's society, they recognise wives and partners as being incredibly important and celebrate their support with Ladies' evenings, which are big events within the lodge calendar.

For clarity, not that it matters, I'm not a mason.
Post edited at 20:56
mgco3 08 Apr 2014
In reply to woolsack:

Whats the difference between Masons and Climbers?

A: They wear strange attire , take part in strange rituals using words and phrases. They have different levels within their groups. They have ritual moves that each other mimic.

Masons on the other hand!!!

Jim C 08 Apr 2014
In reply to mgco3:

> Whats the difference between Masons and Climbers?

> A: They wear strange attire , take part in strange rituals using words and phrases. They have different levels within their groups. They have ritual moves that each other mimic.

> Masons on the other hand!!!

Are quite sensible..

"The 1st degree Entered Apprentice Mason is prepared for initiation ... He is blindfolded. His left breast, right arm, and left knee is made bare. His right heal is made slip-shod. A halter (rope) is placed around his neck."

Mike Stretford 09 Apr 2014
In reply to plyometrics:

> Interested to see the evidence that backs up your assertion that the masons "attracts coppers in particular". I know quite a few masons, but none who are policemen.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/parliament-select-committee--masons-had-r...

and the fact that John Tully of the Police Federation has set up a new lodge exclusively for police and related proffessions,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8713343/Freemasons-in-...

plyometrics 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Still not convinced it "attracts coppers in particular" though.

To quote the two articles:

Independent:

"There are about 350,000 Freemasons in England and Wales."

Telegraph:

"The lodge is based at 10 Duke Street in central London, which is also the headquarters of the Supreme Council of the 33rd Degree, one of the most important and mysterious bodies in international Masonic circles, which has an elite membership of only 75 people."

75 out of a possible 350,000 have set up their own profession specific lodge. Hardly disproportionate.

The reality is, it attracts all sorts, some who are policemen, some who are civil engineers, joiners, butchers, etc some of which will also engage in criminal activity, just like any other 'club'.

The real angle being, the police and freemasonry make for great press, resulting in people's misconception it's a society predominantly for bent coppers.
In reply to tony:

> They're closely related to shape-shifting reptiles.

My wife's two brother's are both masons. I can confirm that they frequently resemble shape-shifting reptiles, but the masons let them join despite this.

T.
Jim C 09 Apr 2014
In reply to plyometrics:
> (In reply to Mike Stretford)
>
> Still not convinced it "attracts coppers in particular" though.
>

Really ! Not forgetting the royals that are into it as well.

"Freemasons open a lodge at Buckingham Palace... but the Queen isn't amused"

A branch of the Freemasons secret society is being formed by members of the Royal Household and police who protect the Royal Family

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-528751/Freemasons-open-lodge-Buckin...
 Trangia 09 Apr 2014
In reply to woolsack:

I would never join the Freemasons because

a) I disagree with an organisation that promotes mutual back scratching in business dealings rather than recommendations based on merit, and

b) I am an atheist and do not believe in a "higher power"
 Carolyn 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Trangia:

> a) I disagree with an organisation that promotes mutual back scratching in business dealings rather than recommendations based on merit

Arguably, it's simply that personal relationships are always going to be important in business (and other sectors), and the masons merely provide an opportunity to develop those relationships, and make a personal judgement about who actually has merit.

However, the fact that they limit that to men, and require some religious belief, makes them rather archaic as far as I'm concerned. Not that I'm likely to get a chance to assess if my opinion is correct.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...