UKC

Overhauling my rack for summer - advice wanted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I’ve been considering, as you do at this time of year, overhauling my rack. It seems to me that one of the pieces of equipment I should consider adding to it is one of those devices for detecting speed cameras.

Has anyone got any experience of these? Do they work? Do they detect those sneaky mobile ones as well as the standard fixed ones? Do they work with average-speed ones? Do they give you some actual verbal/audio warning as opposed to a handy screen?

jcm
Post edited at 12:19
 tehmarks 07 Apr 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

You could just, you know, not speed?
In reply to tehmarks:

One possibility, certainly. Thank you for your contribution.

Now, did anyone have anything useful to say on the matter at hand?

jcm
 dsgarner 07 Apr 2014

I've used the same system for a while now and the only time it has let me down was due to opperator error.

With all the signs warning you of speed cameras and the fact they are painted in bright yellow, it marks the human eye really effective!
In reply to dsgarner:

So have I, and I've found it doesn't always work. I also have an old-fashioned preference for concentrating on the road.

jcm
 Dave Garnett 07 Apr 2014
In reply to dsgarner:
> (In reply to johncoxmysteriously)

> With all the signs warning you of speed cameras and the fact they are painted in bright yellow, it marks the human eye really effective!

Apart from the handheld ones where someone steps out from behind a lamp post or the ones in unmarked vans in laybys you mean?
 Dave Garnett 07 Apr 2014

In answer to the original question, I think that an up-to-date app with the locations of fixed cameras linked to your satnav (or possibly, in your case, a map printed on paper) is probably the best you can do. You tend to know where they are on your regular routes, it's useful to give yourself the same advantage on less familiar territory.
 Scott Quinn 07 Apr 2014

Give the points to the Mrs.....
In reply to scott quinn:

You're kidding, right? Obviously I still have our Romanian au pair from 20 years ago on the insurance. But there are times when these simple precautions are not enough.

jcm
 CurlyStevo 07 Apr 2014

Many modern GPS units have the positions of both the fixed and non fixed camera locations (the police do publish the locations of the stationary cameras as well as the camera vans)
 alexcollins123 07 Apr 2014

A friend has a 'Snooper' stuck to his windscreen and its the most annoying thing in the world, possibly the whole universe?

It picks up just about everything - anything IR controlled e.g. motion activated doors, meaning driving through a town is a nightmare. It will only pick up stuff line of sight - meaning if it picks up a remote speed camera, it can already see it and therefore the camera can see you and you will have been caught.

It gets very angry in cities and stuff when its picking up 'K-Band Radar' EVERYWHERE!

Plus they are banned if you go to France!
 CurlyStevo 07 Apr 2014
In reply to alexcollins123:
I reckon if you aren't speeding through the locations of the fixed cameras and camera vans your chances of getting a ticket are significantly reduced. This is fairly easily achieved by using a phone app or GPS.
Post edited at 14:20
 Martin Bennett 07 Apr 2014

Garmin Satnav has locations of not only fixed cameras but also the areas where you may (or may not) find mobile "safety" cameras. It can be set up with audible and visual warnings. My latest one (£100 from Halford's) also shows your current speed, displayed next to the speed limit for the road you're on. Your speed turns red if it exceeds the speed limit. Invaluable gadget. Mine's always on for this reason even when I'm not navigating by it.

A friend had a device that picked up signals from radar guns/cameras etc.
The upshot was it beeped all the time so he didn't speed any more!(but you've ruled that out)

I think the sat-nav thing is the best option, it issues a loud beep when approaching cameras, I don't think it will pick up all the temporary/mobile ones though.
In reply to Martin Bennett:
> (In reply to johncoxmysteriously)
>
> Garmin Satnav has locations of not only fixed cameras but also the areas where you may (or may not) find mobile "safety" cameras. It can be set up with audible and visual warnings. My latest one (£100 from Halford's) also shows your current speed, displayed next to the speed limit for the road you're on. Your speed turns red if it exceeds the speed limit. Invaluable gadget. Mine's always on for this reason even when I'm not navigating by it.

This sounds good.
 alooker 07 Apr 2014
In reply to tehmarks:

he's got a point...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...