UKC

Moving to Calgary in April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GraMc 07 Apr 2014
Hi all,
I'm moving to Calgary in mid april and wondering if its still worth me bring my winter climbing kit? I imagine Ice will be out by then but there must be decent alpine stuff worth doing? I'm also chosing whether to bring my touring skis, or get them when im back at christmas and take my road bike instead... is there any good road biking near calgary??! or would it be more worth jut catching the tail end of the ski season?

Also If anyone happens to be calgary/canmore based and is looking for partners give me a shout! im very phsyced for ice, alpine, sport and trad!
Removed User 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Ginger McGrath:

I don't think you will catch any ice (you might find the odd bit) but you'll certainly get the tail end of the ski season (lots of recent snow).

Lots of excellent road biking in the foothills around Calgary so if it is one or the other then I'd bring the bike. You can always hire the skis.

Not sure if there will be any Alpine stuff to do. My sense would be that its the wrong time of year.
G Graham 07 Apr 2014

Hi, there's a very active road riding bunch around here. It's most definitely not like the UK though. The roads are straight and, despite being near the rockies, not very hilly by UK standards. However, there are loads of good roads to ride on. Hundreds of riders out on the weekend.
The mountain biking amazing as well. All types from singletrack XC to dh. You will love it. Get yourself to Fernie for some of the best trails anywhere in a really nice town. Totally different to Canmore.
As for climbing and skiing, I haven't been out much this year. There's been a lot of snow recently. Avi conditions haven't been great and that's partly why I haven't been out touring. You can climb ice year round here if you're really keen.

Where are you going to live/work? I'd be happy to meet up for a road ride and maybe some alpine climbs a little later in the spring.
Removed User 08 Apr 2014
In reply to G Graham:

> > You can climb ice year round here if you're really keen.

Fairy nuff. I have never made the effort after March.

George Ormerod 08 Apr 2014

Definitely bring your skis: the resorts will be open until early to mid May and touring is possible beyond that. Not so sure about the ice, it's meant to be 20C in town tomorrow, but there's surely some late season north facing higher stuff on the Parkway (Shades of Beauty, Bow Falls) and The Professor Falls on Rundle is a well known late season route.

I'd be interested in knowing where you could climb year round ice - Mt Aberdeen perhaps, but glacial recession means that the tongue is going to fall off at some point, and what that happens, you don't want to be on it.

Enjoy, it's a great place, with several life times of climbing within a couple of hours drive.

Drop me an email and I'll happily send you a copy of Jo Jo's out of print definitive Ice Guide.

Be careful too, The snow pack's a bit spicy: there's early season weak layers out there and in some places the whole winter's snow pack is waiting to go.
 George Ormerod 08 Apr 2014

Also these are the best 2 links for conditions:

http://www.gravsports-ice.com/icethreads/

http://acmg.ca/mcr/

You can subscribe to get MCR emails.

The ACC Calgary is also active (and well funded: free beer at the rock and ice review) http://www.acccalgary.ca/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...