UKC

Peter Matthiessen RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doug 07 Apr 2014
Surprised there's no mention of the death of Peter Matthiessen, I guess best known amongst mountaineers for his book 'the Snow Leopard.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/06/peter-matthiessen-author-dies-...
 LeeWood 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Doug:

I only knew him as the author of The Snow Leopard, certainly not as a CIA agent; more of a sophistacate than I imagined. Anyway, the drama of stalking big cats in the remote and inhospitable Himalaya will live on - happy to have touched the magic from an armchair for I'm ot sure I'd be tough (or solitary) enough in real life.

malk 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Doug:

surprised there's no mention of your surprise
 Blue Straggler 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Doug:

To me he was the author of the novel "At Play in the Fields of the Lord" (a magnificent book btw).
 SeeWhat 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Doug:

I missed that news, genuine thanks for starting a thread.

What a superb obituary. The Snow Leopard remains one of the most evocative, inspirational books i have ever read, or are likely to read. RIP.
 tony 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Doug:

I haven't read the Snow Leopard - I should do really - but I have read Shadow Country, which is magnificent. I'll be interested to see reviews of his new novel.
 ring ouzel 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Doug:

I read the Snow Leopard several times, thought it was a fantastic book. Years later I went snow leopard tracking in Uzbekistan with a bunch of snow leopard conservationists and I read it again! RIP Peter.
 LeeWood 08 Apr 2014
In reply to ring ouzel:

And did you see a leopard fpor real?
 ring ouzel 09 Apr 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

No. Made even worse by sharing a room with the guy who photographed the pictures you see of snow leopards in daytime. He had an amazing photo library.

I did see wallcreeper, Bearded vulture and Himalayan Griffon vulture though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...