UKC

Octavia 1.2 petrol?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 VS4b 07 Apr 2014
I'm in the market for a new car my last one was a 1.6diesel octy, but I am pondering getting the 1.2 petrol. Does anyone here have any real world experience of one? Keen to hear what the real mpg is and how it would compare to the 1.6d I had...
Mtia
Steve

OP VS4b 07 Apr 2014
In reply to VS4b:

Or 1.4 petrol!
 Lee78 07 Apr 2014
In reply to VS4b:

I own a 1.2tsi 6-speed Rapid (same engine I believe) and it is a brilliant car. I can fit three bouldering mats in the boot. What more do you want?

The cost between the diesel and petrol versions is quite significant (at least here in CZ) and it would take a lot of driving to recoup the cost.

The 1.2tsi has 105bhp, but is apparently around 130bhp. It is powerful enough for speeding around the country roads, even up to sixth gear.

Have a look on the Bri Skoda site for more info.
OP VS4b 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Lee78:

What sort of mpg are you getting?
 Jamie Wakeham 07 Apr 2014
In reply to VS4b:

Honest John reckons you'll get 48mpg for the 1.2TSI (non DSG box) and 46 for the 1.4. I've always found the figures very reliable.

If it's any use I've just decided, today, to get the Yeti with the 1.2TSI. It's astoundingly poky for such a small engine.
 Lee78 07 Apr 2014
In reply to VS4b:

I'll have a look tomorrow.

It depends a lot on what kind of driving you are doing. Motorway or city?
OP VS4b 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Lee78:

Commute is 50 miles, 45 miles of which are on dual carriage way at 65-75mph - plus weekend shortish trips
OP VS4b 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Those are what is tempting me... But I'm a cynic! Sounds too good to be true.
In reply to VS4b:

If you mean 50 miles each way, that's well in excess of 2000 miles per month. Diesel wins, no contest.
OP VS4b 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

No round trip, I should add I cycle twice a week, so that's 150 miles of commuting a week plus maybe 100 at weekends. 12 k miles per year.
In reply to VS4b:

Ah - right on the petrol/diesel tipping point, then. If you don't make very many short trips to the shops and intend to hang onto it for a while I'd probably go diesel (you might find the 1.6 Greenline pays for itself over the 2.0), but the good news is that there's probably no wrong decision you can make - all the current engines seem to be fairly brilliant.
In reply to VS4b:

Had my 1.4tsi Elegance Estate for just over 18 months and love it. The deal I got on it (new) actually worked out about £2000 less than the 1.6 Greenline or 2.0l SE diesels. As I no longer do a big annual mileage, it would take me about 8 or 9 years to recoup the price difference in fuel economy, and I'd rather keep the £2K in my bank!

Pootling about town average is in the low 30's, but as soon as I get out onto the open road it goes up to the mid 40's - pushing 50mpg if motorway traffic is 'sticky' but moving at about 50mph!

I've got a sensitive right foot so a long motorway cruise at about 70mph gives 45mpg plus, however If I use Cruise control it tends to knock a couple of mpg off!

It's got loads more oomph than my previous 1.9tdi had, though it does lack a bit of low rev torque. It's also very quiet.

I've done less than 10k so far, so it's not needed a service - and I've not needed to put a drop of oil in it!.

Happy bunny!
 Lee78 08 Apr 2014
In reply to VS4b:

I averaged 45mpg this morning. This was travelling at a fairly constant speed with barely any traffic through the city. I'm still using winter tires too.
In reply to VS4b:

Dont be tempted by flash 17" alloys and low profile tyres. The 16" option gives the smoother ride.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...