UKC

Do the lifts in the Dolomites close in autumn?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oujmik 08 Apr 2014
Off to the Dolomites in early Autumn (hoping to catch cool summer conditions for walking and VF). The guidebooks say that the rifugios close at the end of Sept which is fine as we're staying in the valley, but do the ski-lifts have an off season or do they just continue straight through? I'm hoping the lack of easy answers on Google means they'll be open in the first week of October weather allowing.
crisp 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

Hi,
Some rifugios close in September, it is best to contact the individual places to confirm when they close (The CAI website is not the best). Some of the gondolas/ski lifts do remain open for summer visitors, again best to contact the individual resorts.
altirando 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

If you think about it, it would not be economically worth while to run all the lifts after the tourists have gone home. I don't think they open for the summer until early July. A big cable car like the :Pordoi might still be open into September. Remember the installations have to be checked and serviced for the ski season.
 beardy mike 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

Yes. They close. The pordoi and marmolada lifts are open for a little longer, but i think they are closed by october.
OP Oujmik 09 Apr 2014
In reply to mike kann:

Thanks, I suspected that might be the case but the guide books are strangely silent on the matter despite suggesting that you use them for quite a few routes (and suggesting September or October as good times to visit).

Looks like we're going to have to stay low or get fitter!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...