UKC

Green Deal for a new boiler

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lone 09 Apr 2014
Howdy,

My 40-year-old boiler went kaput last night and I'm thinking of going for the Green Deal Scheme offered by the Government to replace it.

It's a bit confusing because loads of websites have now popped up offering what appears to be similar deals as the Governments Scheme, but you get a Personal loan instead of what the Government is offering which is still a loan of a sorts but it's setup against the house and not the person, so if you move house then the new occupier takes over the loan.

I'm thinking in terms of companies setting themselves up to exploit the market (like PPI) for what looks similar to the Gov's Green Deal but is not and probably more expensive etc

There a lot of other things that differ between the Gov's offer and the 3rd party, however, i'm wondering if the 3rd party is actually a good thing? In terms of 'Hidden clauses and small print etc' it all looks a bit complicated and I can't seem to see the wood for the tree's so to speak.

Has anyone done the Green Deal Scheme and how did you fair with it ?

Thanks

Jason
 jkarran 09 Apr 2014
In reply to lone:

Is the 'Green deal' not rather expensive as finance packages go? Also, I can't imagine it'll ease the selling process if you're selling on the liability for the debt with the boiler. It seemed pretty unattractive when I last looked though in fairness, I didn't compare it to other sources of available finance.

jk
 ByEek 09 Apr 2014
In reply to lone:

My understanding is that the green deal is not a very good deal. Before it was introduced, the government gave you a grant to cover part of the cost of implementing energy efficiency. The idea of a loan paid off by income from solar panels is one thing, but a loan for a new boiler - I would do it myself as it will no doubt be cheaper.
 marsbar 09 Apr 2014
In reply to lone:

I've heard that the green deal people dont get much per installation so end up doing things on the cheap. If you have a new boiler you should have a powerflush first or the new boiler will clog up and the warrenty wont be worth anything.

Dont know about the finance but it sounds dodgy to me.

marsbar 09 Apr 2014
In reply to lone:

Do you know what is wrong with your boiler? May be worth checking so you can plan for a new one without panicing and get it done in the summer when its quieter.
OP lone 09 Apr 2014
In reply to marsbar:

The hotwater is problematic, the boiler lights up and it runs for a few seconds and then goes back to pilot light, there is a clicking sound coming from the Gas Valve. Its just keeps repeating this on off thing. The CH is fine. I saw somewhere on a forum about it being a switching problem opening the valve.

I'm thinking of getting it repaired and save up for a new boiler, it'll be cheaper to do both of these things than to go 3rd party.

I had a PDF broacher sent to me by one such 3rd party and they wanted £2200 for the boiler I wanted, on the internet I found that very boiler for £873 at Plumb Nation with free delivery. I suppose you are paying the additional for the chance to have it on the never never.

Jason
 marsbar 09 Apr 2014
In reply to lone:

Did the other one include fitting costs? It is not a quick job done properly.
OP lone 09 Apr 2014
In reply to marsbar:

No the £873 option did'nt include the fitting, I just had an e-mail from the finance option and this is the breakdown of fitting + extra's

Boiler & fitting = £2200
Removal of virtical flue and fitting of new one £360
Power flush = £360

marsbar 09 Apr 2014
In reply to lone:

Try getting a quote from your local independent. Check they are gas safe registered.
OP lone 09 Apr 2014
In reply to marsbar

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...