UKC

Why would someone write this ????????

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 09 Apr 2014
I've copied and pasted this from a well known booksite and the seller is describing a copy of Touching the Void he's selling - why would someone write this about Joe Simpson ?????

This copy is in as New condition. SIGNED by Simon Yates who cut Joe Simpson's rope (and should have cut his throat. Joe is not a nice person) and to whom the book is dedicated, and by Chris Bonington who wrote the introduction. New York, 1988, 1st edition. 172 pp, illustrations. Many people consider this the greatest mountaineering book

Tom Last 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC):

Woahhh there! Sound a bit unstable really. Not really the best way to get a sale is it.
 madasten 09 Apr 2014

Care to share a link to the site so that we can protest?
In reply to madasten:

I would do but worry about defamation / slander etc etc etc

Easy to find if one looks on abe books
 Tom Last 09 Apr 2014
In reply to madasten:

Down with this sort of thing...
In reply to madasten:

I would add that it is a commercial seller of mountaineering books who has posted it !!!!
 deepsoup 09 Apr 2014
Seems likely there will be a story behind it then, maybe it would be worth asking the seller what the story is. Maybe JS shat on his carpet at a book signing or something.
 crayefish 09 Apr 2014
In reply to madasten:

> Care to share a link to the site so that we can protest?

http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/touching-the-void/author/joe-simp...

Boom!

Asked him for an explanation.

Will post a reply if I get one, not a very nice thing to say about someone really.
 JamButty 09 Apr 2014

Cheap n'all!!
 deepstar 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

> Down with this sort of thing...

Careful Now!
Andy Gamisou 09 Apr 2014

Interesting (for me) to see who the book seller is. Several years ago I contacted this individual with regards a difficult to get hold of item that I believed him to stock. We had an initially friendly exchange of emails until I made what I believed to be a very innocuous comment (can't remember exactly what) and he absolutely went off on one. Again I can't remember the details, but I do clearly remember it included the phrase 'Limey faggot' amongst various other comments on my general up bringing and parentage. It was quite extraordinary.
 Tyler 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Pepper:

> Asked him for an explanation.

Why?
 Tom Last 09 Apr 2014
In reply to deepstar:

Phew!
In reply to Tyler:

Why not, bored and like to see what he has to say
 Timmd 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Tyler:

> Why?

The answer could be interesting?
 Tom Last 09 Apr 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

but I do clearly remember it included the phrase 'Limey faggot' amongst various other comments on my general up bringing and parentage. It was quite extraordinary.

Sorry, but that did make me laugh. This fella sounds like a right nutjob.
Post edited at 20:36
KevinD 09 Apr 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

so you wouldnt recommend?
Andy Gamisou 10 Apr 2014
In reply to dissonance:
> so you wouldnt recommend?

Not really. I didn't pursue the order as he rather gave me the impression that the only he way would supply me with the item is if I gave him my first born so that he/she could be sacrificed on an alter as an offering to his Gods. I was actually quite glad that he was based on a different continent to me.
Post edited at 07:32

Reply from Chessler Books:

'Joe reluctantly signed a few copies for me long after that occured, and he made considerable money off me and all other booksellers over the years. I understand the book made him rich. Yet he now refuses to sign books anymore, not just for me, but for practically anyone. He is also not a nice person in other ways, and other people who know him and have climbed with him agree with me.

There are other authors and climbers who also refuse to autograph books for my bookshop, partly because they think I am getting rich off them. Ha ha. Show me a rich bookseller. Everybody who sells books makes money from the effort of authors (and vice-versa.)'

So there you go, bit of an extreme response to someone refusing to sign books for you but there you go.
 MG 10 Apr 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Interesting. I once made a query about a book to this seller and got a very odd response. Not as hostile as yours but definitely off-putting. There seems to be a trend here.
Removed User 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Pepper:

> Reply from Chessler Books:

> There are other authors and climbers who also refuse to autograph books for my bookshop, partly because they think I am getting rich off them. Ha ha. Show me a rich bookseller. Everybody who sells books makes money from the effort of authors (and vice-versa.)'

Not sure that makes a lot of sense - i was once told by an author (not JS!) that most books are sent to book shops on sale/return - if they are defaced (i.e. signed!) they can't be returned & are therefore a guaranteed sale for the author…sounds like the bookseller in question may just be a bit of a git!

> So there you go, bit of an extreme response to someone refusing to sign books for you but there you go.
 Andy Hardy 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Removed User:

I always thought book signings were when the author tipped up, and the punters - who have already bought the book in the shop - get it signed?
Removed User 10 Apr 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

i guess so - you might get a few funny looks if you just pitched up at Waterstones & started writing in the front of all the books!
 tony 10 Apr 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

> I always thought book signings were when the author tipped up, and the punters - who have already bought the book in the shop - get it signed?

Book signings are only part of the signed copies story. Shops (and publishers) will often get authors to sign bulk copies to sell as regular stock. My local Waterstones has signed copies from a whole host of authors.
In reply to tony:

i'm frequently signing several (sometimes piles) of my books for various shops/chains, completely irrespective of book signings. Sometimes I ask a shop if they want me sign copies, and sometimes they ask me to do so.
 tony 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

How are your Australian sales - I saw a couple of copies of Fiva in Dymocks in Melbourne last month.
In reply to tony:

I've no idea. Lovely to hear that. Cordee are doing a fantastic job of distribution.
 pneame 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Pepper:

> Reply from Chessler Books:

> So there you go, bit of an extreme response to someone refusing to sign books for you but there you go.

I've bought several books from Chessler over the years - he's certainly in the eccentric class of person, but I've always thought his service was excellent and honest. But I'd not want to argue with him on topics where my opinions are not closely aligned with his - he's had some heated discussions on Super Topo. Not least because he also sells old gear -
http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=1709331&msg=17157...

I offered to sign some of my books in a bookshop once. The fellow’s response was luke-warm.

“Oh, go on then, if you want. We can always knock a few quid off them.”

jcm
 Jim Walton 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Removed User:

There are quite a few authors out there who don't give interviews, book signings etc so there signatures are very rare. Stephen King is an example of this.

There is a lovely story of him walking into an independent bookshop and browsing for a while. The shop keeper watched him as he flitted from shelf to shelf for a while, knowing who he was. They chatted for a while and the shop keeper recommended some books that he thought he might like and left him to his browsing.
Mr King remained in the shop for a few hours drinking coffee and flicking through the books lost in his own world. Suddenly Mr King became aware of the time and was embarrassed that he had taken soo much of the shop keepers time but had bought nothing.
"You were enjoying the books, that's the important thing"
Mr King then signed every single Stephen King book in the shop
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> I offered to sign some of my books in a bookshop once. The fellow’s response was luke-warm.

> “Oh, go on then, if you want. We can always knock a few quid off them.”

> jcm

That's as very strange reaction. Signed copies of successful books usually makes them even more commercially attractive, which is why most shops like having them (in my experience).
 FactorXXX 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: That's the experience I've had; not that I'm an author, far from it, but a few years back I organised a talk by physicist Frank Close after which he signed (and sold, naturally) copies of his latest book.

For reasons I can't recall, the unsold books (and the cash) ended up in a box in my garage where they lay unseen for a couple of years. When I found them and called his publisher to arrange return, they were extremely pleased not just that I'd noticed and offered to return them, but that a number of them had been signed but not sold. This, I was told, made them something of a prize for the publisher. What they did with them and why there were so prized I don't know; Frank, from occasional dealings with him over a number of years, has always seemed a most obliging chap and since his publisher were in the same town as his university, I'm sure it wouldn't have been over-taxing for him to pop across and autograph a few more copies. Still, nowt so queer as publishers...

T.

The book-seller was an old friend. It was a joke. You must have heard of those, surely?

jcm
 Ian Parsons 10 Apr 2014

Very probably, Gordon; but your books aren't about chess. (Sorry, John - <ducks>!)
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Sorry John. the things I call 'jokes' are things that I laugh, at i.e lie somewhere in the spectrum of funny-very funny.
 steveriley 10 Apr 2014
Cool! We got us a literary spat right here on UKC!
In reply to Pepper:
Just for balance, I've climbed with JS, shared a house with him while he was writing Touching the Void, and got into a variety of scrapes with him back in the day.
Now I know Joe can be a bit 'in your face', but this is the first time I've ever heard him described as 'not a nice person'.
Seems like it's the bookseller who has a problem.
 Rob Exile Ward 10 Apr 2014
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

In the interests of balance, I've heard the same about JS too.

One person's 'a bit in you face' is another person's 'not a nice person', or worse. Personally I don't feel I've missed out not knowing him other than through his writing.
 Blue Straggler 11 Apr 2014

> this is the first time I've ever heard him described as 'not a nice person'.

Really?

I don't really follow tittle-tattle and gossip around climbing/mountaineering "celebrities", though I have read two Simpson books and watched the film adaptation of Touching The Void - none of which made me think "not a nice person" - BUT even I have encountered this opinion of him on several occasions. So if someone like me who, doesn't follow gossip, has heard this, it can be inferred that it's not an esoteric opinion. Thus, I am surprised that someone like you, who is far far closer to the person in question, has not once encountered this opinion of the man.
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 11 Apr 2014

I've bought a few books of this guy and he's even bought a few of my book too and I thought he was fine in all transactions so was quite surprised over his criticism of JS - hey ho as long as JS not offended !
 KaRun 11 Apr 2014

I actually love JS. I challenge this person to be left for dead and survive in the conditions and with the mental strength he had! Grrr
 Nigel Thomson 11 Apr 2014

Having spent more time in the Broadfield rather than climbing during my stay in Sheffield I've spent quite a bit of time in JS's company. Usually playing snooker on the old 3/4 table when the Broady was set up differently. He can be a bit stand offish but who can't?
 Sean Kelly 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Jim Walton:

I was browsing in my local bookshop a few months back and tried to do a deal for an old guidebook but they wouldn't reduce at any price so as I started to walk away the owner's wife accused me of never buying any of their books. When I got home I counted the books puchased from them in the last few years and got up to 12. I haven't been back since.
 KaRun 12 Apr 2014

I jokingly made it a new years resolution to meet JS. Just to shake his hand really. Anyone want to help me fulfil that I'll be most grateful!
 Co1in H 12 Apr 2014
In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC): The subject of this thread is known throughout the book/climbing community as erratic. There are two sides to every story but my brief experiences of purchasing in the distant past were not too happy. I was told recently, by half a dozen climbers in the USA that he is known as "Chissler". (Chizzler)
There is a culture amongst some climbers in the US of expecting to be paid for signatures at events. This is not the case in the UK.
I understand that Chessler pays for signings and does donate to related charities.
His books are generally expensive in relation to other dealers, but at times he has some gems, if you have the dosh. I find his website an excellent reference tool.
If you look at his ebay feedback there are comments in the vein of that about Joe Simpson, so it looks like a character trait to me.
JS has signed his and many related books for me for my collection over the years and has always been pleasant and taken time for a chat on occasions.
However, I will not deal with Mr Chessler, no loss to him with my income, but I can thoroughly recommend Top of the World books in the USA.

In reply to Co1in H:

I know Joe well. He can be quite acerbic, but he means well. He's primarily concerned with the truth (as he sees it.) You can get a good idea of his manner from following him on Twitter - often amusing and entertaining, as well as interesting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...