UKC

Downgrading iPhone software advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Puppythedog 09 Apr 2014
I'm looking for advice on how to downgrade my iPhone software from 7.whatever to 6.whatever (but preferably 6.1).
I've looked on the internet but nervous that I don't know what to trust, one video showed downloading some hidden script via a free app.

I thought that maybe someone here would know about such things? My iPhone 4 is soooooo slow with iOS 7 loaded.
 wilkie14c 09 Apr 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

Hey Puppy, It isn't really do-able, I've just had to bring a '4' back to life after being ran over by a car <I know!!> and when iTunes restores everything it installs the latest IOS automatically. When was the last time you hard reset it? this can work well, clear all your unused apps, transfer photos to PC and hard reset it <home+power together until the apple logo appears> then make sure you close running apps <double click home button, open apps are shown, close by sliding them upwards>
HTH
 CurlyStevo 09 Apr 2014
In reply to puppythedog:
Call me cynical but I think apple and Microsoft do this deliberately to get you to buy new hardware / software. Google can't really do this if you buy a high end phone as android has to work well on a wider range of hardware some of which is quite low spec.
 Jonny2vests 09 Apr 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Call me cynical but I think apple and Microsoft do this deliberately to get you to buy new hardware / software.

I don't think that's cynical at all.
In reply to puppythedog:

I have recently upgraded my iPhone 4 from iOS 6.3 to 7.1 with no loss of speed. The iOS 7.1 is said to be optimised towards the old processor in iP4 and thereby faster than 7.0. This is the last upgrade which will support iP4.
I recommend iOS 7.1 for iP4.
OP Puppythedog 11 Apr 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

Thanks for the responses. I will clear it, update it hard restore it and hope. It coped with all the iOs 6 updates but 7.0 has left it sloooooww.
 Cog 11 Apr 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

Have you got the updates for 7? I think they speeded things up.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 11 Apr 2014
In reply to puppythedog: Kill off apps you aren't using, (double press the home button and flick them up the screen I think) this was seriously draining my battery until I killed off about 30 apps that were working constantly in the background.
OP Puppythedog 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Thanks, i'm really hot on fully closing apps. Even still it can look like the phone has frozen for ages when typing a text or a response in facebook. It takes ages to load some apps. I'm going to try the update.
 Bloodfire 11 Apr 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that iOS7 was created to optimise iPhone 4's because they were to be introduced into the India for the first time officially. So 'optimised' should mean speed up the phone... or at least not slow it down.

i would +1 hard resetting the device and then manually adding apps in.

OP Puppythedog 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Bloodfire:

Updating to iOs7.1 has resolved it. Thanks all for your advice and contributions.
 Voltemands 14 Apr 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Yup. My better half was given an ipad 1 or 2 last year. Doesn't really use it much, got around to wanting to download some "serious" non game apps a few weeks ago. Cannot get many apps without the new iOS. Turns out she cannot upgrade the iOS now as the hardware is apparently too old.

The ipad is in mint condition. Runs fine. Now redundant as cannot download new apps...
 Martin W 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands: That would have to be a first generation iPad, not an iPad 2 since iOS 7 is supported on the iPad2. The first generation iPad should be able to run iOS 5.1.1 which I believe is still available through iTunes, and supported.

The problem, as you have spotted, is getting hold of the older versions of the third party apps which are compatible with iOS 5.1.1. This thread on the Apple forums suggests that it is possible, by using iTunes on a computer:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5519108?tstart=0

(see the posts by DLR and rbofmd).

As far as I can see the trick is to make sure that iTunes on your computer is set to sync apps with your iOS device(s) and then when you buy an app through iTunes on your computer, it syncs the correct, supported version of the app to your old iOS device. (It would probably be worth checking this method with a free app first, and also checking that a version of the paid app you want was previously available on iOS 5.)

I'm sure there will be other helpful threads on the Apple forums, and possibly even buried somewhere within Apple's own support knowledgebase.
 Voltemands 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Martin W:

Ah! Great. Thank you. I'll check this out and see if it gets me anywhere. May just earn some brownie points.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...