UKC

The Levellers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm currently listening to a recent purchase, the 2CD reissue of Levelling The Land. Not just the original album, expanded from my rather worn vinyl copy, but a set from Glastonbury '92 as well. I'd forgotten just how good an album it was and how good they were live. Any other fans?

T.
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Yep. Great album.
 Choss 10 Apr 2014

Yes, in a sort of folksy, chumbawamba light, Kind of way.
 Clarence 10 Apr 2014

Yep, caught them at the Acoustic Festival a few years ago. I wasn't really a fan until I experienced them live with a bellyful of cider and me dancin feet on.
In reply to Choss: Or in a more southern version of The Tansads sort of way. Both fine bands and I'll be putting them on next.

It fair takes me back, so it does.

T.
 katherinec85 10 Apr 2014

A big fan here

Seen them countless times and they never fail to play a good set.

Think the best time was when I saw them supported by the Wonder Stuff. Two great bands, one night

toad 10 Apr 2014
> (In reply to Choss) Or in a more southern version of The Tansads sort of way.

Come across Merry Hell? partial reincarnation of The Tansads
 andy 10 Apr 2014
They were the last night party act at Grassington Festival last year. Guy at work who (along with most of Wharfedale) goes no matter who's on said "I'm not really sure who they are, but I understand they're quite popular with people who have dogs on bits of string...".

Bless him - it's Heather Small this year...
In reply to toad: No, but thanks for the heads-up. I'll see what I can find.

T.
 Choss 10 Apr 2014
In reply to andy:

moving on up this year then.
 andy 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Choss:
And (assuming Sir Bob's up for it) it's the Boomtown Rats the night before!
 toad 10 Apr 2014

I do have tickets for Beautiful Days They do know how to do a festival right. It's kind of the anti-V
 toad 10 Apr 2014
In reply to katherinec85:
> (In reply to Pursued by a bear)
>
>
>
> Think the best time was when I saw them supported by the Wonder Stuff. Two great bands, one night

First time I saw them they were supporting New Model Army. And of course we were too cool to see the support act so only arrived in time to seethe last 3 or 4 songs. Bloomin amazing even then! (Leicester De Montford on the "Impurity" tour, trivia fans!
 tombeasley 10 Apr 2014

Yea, must have seen them 5 or 6 times over the years, amazing live. I haven't listened to much of the later stuff, maybe I should?
 Blue Straggler 10 Apr 2014

Degrees in Circus Skills are all the fault of The Levellers.

Redeemed by running Metway Studios which was handy for the recording of Electrelane's first album
 Duncan Bourne 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Which is good as some friends of mine teach circus skills
 John_Hat 10 Apr 2014

Yup, and was there at Glastonbury in '92....
 toad 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:
Come on, sing along!

you know you want to really.....

youtube.com/watch?v=0mVvMopn2os&

edit for better version, because if there are 50,000 people it's ironic like
Post edited at 17:54
 Neil Williams 10 Apr 2014

Yeah, they're brilliant. I love what a wide range of ages you get at their gigs - anyone from parents with kids to students to "proper" punks etc.

Neil
Removed User 10 Apr 2014
One of those bands that I feel I ought to like but don't. That said, this is stonking cover of a song so good it's difficult to do it justice, but they manage:

youtube.com/watch?v=JrcpxpbgAnc&
Post edited at 18:59
 Tom Last 10 Apr 2014
In reply to toad:

> First time I saw them they were supporting New Model Army. And of course we were too cool to see the support act so only arrived in time to seethe last 3 or 4 songs. Bloomin amazing even then! (Leicester De Montford on the "Impurity" tour, trivia fans!

Well NMA were always the better band, not that it's a competition.

I used to love The Levellers, pretty much wore out my copies of Levelling the Land and Weapon Called the Word. They were always a brilliant live act, especially with stuff like Dirty Davey, Subvert, Riverflow etc.

When I listen back now though, I find their lyrics horribly trite somehow, but I guess they still rock out pretty well.

I saw NMA last year and despite the crap venue they were really good, as is their latest album pretty good too, somewhat unbelievably after all those years.

Impurity tour must have been good, one of their best albums to my mind. Always wanted the Kalashnikov tee shirt!
 toad 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Tom Last:
> (In reply to toad)
>
> [...]
>
> Well NMA were always the better band, not that it's a competition.
>
>
>
> When I listen back now though, I find their lyrics horribly trite somehow, but I guess they still rock out pretty well.

This is the nub of my relationship with the Levs. lyrically their heart is in the right place, but it never seems to translate in the same way that NMAs do (though I guess that's the hand -or pen - of Joolz)
>
> I saw NMA last year and despite the crap venue they were really good, as is their latest album pretty good too, somewhat unbelievably after all those years.

Saw them at Rock City last Christmas. Really very good indeed
 Jake463 17 Apr 2014

Love them. Seen them countless times, always put on a cracking show and nice mixed aged crowd. Introduced my girlfriend to them and she was very much converted by their headline set at Bearded Theory festival last year. Many many good times singing along to them in a field somewhere.

Darron 18 Apr 2014

They turn up in the most amazing places too. Last time I saw them was at the Middlewich
folk and boat festival - a (very) small town music event.

"Clog Rock".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...