UKC

Barking dogs: how much is too much?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Voltemands 10 Apr 2014
As per the title really. Lets say hypothetically you have an neighbour with a couple of dogs. One small and yappy, t'other medium/large and booming. If you can hear these dogs barking everyday you are home, what frequency/duration would you consider unreasonable/antisocial?

Interested in others opinions. Don't want to come across as a dog hater, always have and always will love dogs. Can't wait until circumstances mean that I can have a pooch without it being unfair on them.
 Chris Harris 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

You are not a "dog hater". You are "crap owners who can't be arsed to train their dogs hater".

Trangia 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

Are they barking at people coming to the house? Or just barking out of boredom? If the latter I feel for you, it's totally unacceptable and you should speak to the owner. If that doesn't stop it, then I'd report it to the Council Department which deals with nuisance barking.
Jim C 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:
Post a leaflet for one of these through their door.

youtube.com/watch?v=M_7_CEnYSDI&

My daughter has the vibrating type of collars for her two yappy. dogs that she brought when she came back home to stay with us again. They work when she puts them on, but they don't learn not to bark, no collar no peace and quiet .
Post edited at 17:52
 Yanis Nayu 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

If the dogs bark for a long time, beyond a few times a day when the postman turns up or a cat runs across the garden for example, and this persistent barking occurs frequently (say more days than not), then it's probably a nuisance actionable in law by your local Env Health Dept.

However, often people don't know that their dogs are barking, because they bark when they're away, so it's worth popping round and letting them know so they have a chance to sort it out.
 JimbotheScot 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:
oh em gee my neighbours have 6 dogs and they bark like F*** all day, they also overlook my garden so every time i move they are on me... try and talk to neighbour next door and they are on me... yap yap alllll day

they get let out at half 7 - 8am every day yap yap yap

postie comes, oh let me let them out - yap yap yap yap

they tried this thing that makes a high pitched whine noise that they just used to bark through and it was perhaps more annoying than the dogs barking themselves (ok probs not) so why should my dogs have to listen to a high pitched whine because you are an imbecile?

then when they are taking them out for a walk every day its a massive barking affair

if i thought reporting them would achieve anything i would but another neighbour has done in the past and they went round and threatened them, . i mean who moves into a street with their incessantly barking dogs? I also brought it up one time and they said 'if you didnt want to hear dogs, you shouldn't have moved to the country'... can you believe that... says it all pretty much about their intelligence
Post edited at 19:11
 Choss 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

Get some good insoles Mate... Sorted
 Coel Hellier 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

> ... what frequency/duration would you consider unreasonable/antisocial?

Anything above once a fortnight.
 Choss 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:
Youre too middle class. Its just everyday Background noise, tune it out (just like the Helicopters, the sirens, and the screaming)
Post edited at 20:18
 butteredfrog 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JimbotheScot:

Tried nightshade?
 LeeWood 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

Here in rural SW France everyone has dogs, house dogs and hunting dogs. Alarm or 'event' response brings intermittent barking from most dogs but its the one over the river which pisses me off the most - a little jack russel which yaps all morning. It lives outside in a small mesh enclosure and barks for boredom. I think its out of the question to object (officially) down here. A persistent yapper is more likely to need a change of conditions rather than training. The j r named quietens down in the afternoon - proabably after being fed.
 Enty 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Coel Hellier:

> Anything above once a fortnight.

Way too frequent....

E
 Skol 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

The neighbour has a dog named Flash. Every evening it comes out and starts barking at me. The neighbour shouts 'Flash' from the other side of the wall.
I sing, ' ahh ahh, he'll save everyone of us'!
This has gone on for 8 years. Time to move
 wintertree 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JimbotheScot:
If the owners haven't trained their dogs to STFU they almost certainly haven't trade them to ignore sausages posted through the letterbox.

Thought never crossed my mind when howling dogs in the adjoining house kept me up at 1am.
Post edited at 22:41
 Albert Tatlock 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

Feed them laxative chocolate before they go in for the night
 The Potato 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

all dogs should be seen and not heard
except chihuahuas which shouldnt be seen at all
dogs are needlessly loud, and to me fall in the same category as car alarms
 ActionSte 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

Talk nicely with the owner. If its happening while theyre out then its a tricky problem to solve as the dog is either bored or lonely. Offer to dogsit as you say you want a dog, or take them out to the crag with you if access permits. An exhausted dog is a quiet and lazy dog.

If its happening while theyre home tell them to sort themselves out. Pure lazyness to allow a dog to do that. Allow one or two barks for somebody at the door and zero barks for somebody walking past.
 jkarran 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

If it's really bothering you then you know how much is too much. Are the dogs left alone during the day, maybe your neighbors aren't aware its a problem. Maybe you could offer to be part of the solution by letting them out during the day if you're at home a lot... Whatever, the answer lies in talking to your neighbors and looking for solutions.

jk
 Dr.S at work 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

Buy a Grizzly bear
 Fraser 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Skol:

> I sing, ' ahh ahh, he'll save everyone of us'!

I'm glad you posted this as I've always heard that line as 'Saviour of the universe!"

tehmarks 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Fraser:

Flash, ahhh-ahhh, saviour of the universe.
Flash, ahhh-ahhh, he'll save every one of us.
Flash, ahhh-ahhh, he's a miracle.
Flash, ahhh-ahhh, king of the impossible.

Scarab9 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Skol:

> The neighbour has a dog named Flash. Every evening it comes out and starts barking at me. The neighbour shouts 'Flash' from the other side of the wall.

> I sing, ' ahh ahh, he'll save everyone of us'!

> This has gone on for 8 years. Time to move

I would have to too. I hope your neighbour appreciates it and enjoys it as much as you

Liking the ideas suggested of offering to dog-sit or let them out etc.
 WILLS 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

It has to be constant for 2 hrs or more before you can contact environmental health. They will tell them to sort it out. Then you go from there. It gets kinda messy. Is there no talking to the neighbor?
Jim C 11 Apr 2014
In reply to jkarran:
> If it's really bothering you then you know how much is too much. Are the dogs left alone during the day, maybe your neighbors aren't aware its a problem. Maybe you could offer to be part of the solution by letting them out during the day if you're at home a lot... Whatever, the answer lies in talking to your neighbors and looking for solutions.

> jk

I think that he should also apologise profusely to them for being so sensitive as to be disturbed by their dogs ( really rather pleasant ) barking, and maybe also offer to pay for a pet psychologist just in case their dog is upset, and generally grovelling a bit might help too.

I have this dog barking crap all the time, and the dam dogs are in my own house, the dogs are my daughter's , she is well aware that they bark, but does not like the way I talk to them !!
She had the vibrating collars, they worked, ' but they did not like them'. So she does not put them on.

There is sometimes no reasoning with dog owners. ( or daughters)
Post edited at 22:25
 alasdair19 12 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

There will never be a 'quiet word and then the problem is gone' with this scenario unless they get rid of the dogs. It's a very, very hard one to solve even if the owner throws time, money and effort at it. Seriously, how easy is it for you to move house?
OP Voltemands 12 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

I believe they are barking out of boredom. It doesn't seem to be set off by any arrival or guests etc, and it is sustained. And the owner is definitely in when it happens, she works from home. I'm not in the house enough to make it worth complaining, for now at any rate. The worst part about it is that the walls are reasonably thin, so I can hear that the owner is NOT trying to quiet the animals. Only then when on the worst occasions I put the radio on loudly as a hint, do I hear her attempting to shut them up.

I don't have the foggiest what you're on about Choss, I'm certainly not middle.

WILLS, on occasion it has been close to that. Seriously. Thankfully not often that long though.

Only another 12 months and I'll finished studying and will be moving back south, so it's something I'll deal with. I just wanted to gauge opinion really. It occurred to me the last time it happened that I may be being unreasonable but it sounds like I am right to be frustrated by it.Otherwise the suggestions for offering to go and let the dog out are really good, if it was the case that the dogs were home alone I would definitely attempt that route.
 marsbar 12 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

I don't think its unreasonable to expect that if she is at home that she deals with it. If she is letting them make lots of noise then they will. If she is home then she can train them to stop and reward them for being quiet. Much easier to deal with than the homealone thing. I think it says a lot that everyone assumed that they were home alone.

Can you ask her face to face instead of passive agressive with the radio?

OP Voltemands 14 Apr 2014
In reply to marsbar:

> Can you ask her face to face instead of passive agressive with the radio?

Now that would just be too sensible! ...I'm sure I'll get round to it...
 jkarran 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> There is sometimes no reasoning with dog owners. ( or daughters)

And sometimes there is. Maybe you should try again on a different tack since it seems to make you so angry.

We have a choice when faced with a problem, either seek a solution that may involve some compromise or just rant about it going red in the face. I'm rubbish at ranting.

jk
M0nkey 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

My mother in law has a horrible yappy terrier and used to leave it in her massive garden while she went to work. Apparently it spent most of the day barking because a few weeks after getting it, the Council sent a letter on foot of complaints from the neighbours. Dog lives indoors now most of the time. Its a pain for the dog but he should have learnt to shut up then he would have more leisure time.

Solution therefore, call the council, the dog owners will never know who made the complaint.
 jkarran 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

> I believe they are barking out of boredom. It doesn't seem to be set off by any arrival or guests etc, and it is sustained. And the owner is definitely in when it happens, she works from home. I'm not in the house enough to make it worth complaining, for now at any rate. The worst part about it is that the walls are reasonably thin, so I can hear that the owner is NOT trying to quiet the animals. Only then when on the worst occasions I put the radio on loudly as a hint, do I hear her attempting to shut them up.

So she apparently is aware of you and cares. Why not pop round and talk to her instead, see if it achieves anything. Just having the conversation and putting a name to the face may help reduce your level of frustration even if it doesn't stop the barking.

jk
 Tall Clare 14 Apr 2014
In reply to marsbar:

It does seem a bit nuts that dogs are barking so much whilst someone is working from home. I work from home and if my dog barks, I go to find out what she's barking about - there's usually a reason for it (that reason might be a tractor, or the sky, but even so...)

I agree with conversation being the way forward.

JimC - if the dogs are there all the time and they drive you mad, you could always spend some time interacting with and training them so everyone gets something positive out of the experience?
 Tall Clare 14 Apr 2014
In reply to M0nkey:
> My mother in law has a horrible yappy terrier and used to leave it in her massive garden while she went to work. Apparently it spent most of the day barking because a few weeks after getting it, the Council sent a letter on foot of complaints from the neighbours. Dog lives indoors now most of the time. Its a pain for the dog but he should have learnt to shut up then he would have more leisure time.

> Solution therefore, call the council, the dog owners will never know who made the complaint.

He's a dog - he doesn't know that what he's doing is 'wrong'. More to the point, why does your mother-in-law have a dog that she abandons all day when you go to work? Take it to daycare, get it rehomed, or get it some company. Dogs get lonely too.
Post edited at 10:03
 wintertree 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> or get it some company

Next door's dog used to howl and whine all day when left alone for 9 hours at a time.

So they got it a companion dog.

The first dog would set this second one off, and the pair of them would then howl and whine all day like moronic sacks of meat.
 Tall Clare 14 Apr 2014
In reply to wintertree:

Ah. Fair point. In which case refer back to my other points - perhaps they should either take it to daycare or not have a dog.
 wintertree 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Ah. Fair point. In which case refer back to my other points - perhaps they should either take it to daycare or not have a dog.

Sadly what neighbours should and should not do with their dogs has no baring on what they actually do. When I move out of my terraced house there isn't going to be another person within 20m of my property...
 pwo 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

The dogs can be trained not to bark provided the owner is concerned enough to train them. first step a polite conversation stating the issue are the dogs barking and not her as a neighbour and that it is causing you nuisance (make a note of the conversation/date/time/response). Give her a reasonable time period to reconcile the problem (mutually agreed upon). If no progress then tell her you will take the problem elsewhere for their consideration (Local authority dog warden). The dog warden will consider the problem and can activate the necessary steps to abate the nuisance. Provided you are reasonable with your neighbour there is no reason for the issue to escalate. But some people just have SFB. In which case I found the 1812 overture excellent or a long nosed alligator in the garden.
Jim C 14 Apr 2014
In reply to jkarran:

I said there is 'no reasoning', why did you interpret reasoning as getting angry or rant about it going red in the face

They (wife and daughters) are the ones that get angry when I ask them to stop the dogs barking.

(By the way when I am in alone with the dogs they tend to bark a lot less, and if they do bark a quick death stare seems to do the trick, and they skulk back into their beds)

Jim C 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to marsbar)
>

> JimC - if the dogs are there all the time and they drive you mad, you could always spend some time interacting with and training them so everyone gets something positive out of the experience?

I refer you to my recent comment to Jkarran (below)
They act the way their owners allow them, I don't allow them, but I am not in all day it is my wife and daughter's who have 'control' of them most of the time.

"(By the way when I am in alone with the dogs they tend to bark a lot less, and if they do bark a quick death stare seems to do the trick, and they skulk back into their beds)"

It is interesting that dog lovers on here are keen to pass on the problem onto the victims of the dogs bad behaviour. Not my job to sort ourt neighbours or families dogs, I was quite clear when I allowed my daughter back into the home(with her dogs) that I was not going to be making any allowances for them. She promised they would be no problem.

Tall Clare 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Jim C:

So tackle your daughter.
 jkarran 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> I said there is 'no reasoning', why did you interpret reasoning as getting angry or rant about it going red in the face

I didn't. It was this that came across as rather angry, chippy and needlessly sarcastic:

> I think that he should also apologise profusely to them for being so sensitive as to be disturbed by their dogs ( really rather pleasant ) barking, and maybe also offer to pay for a pet psychologist just in case their dog is upset, and generally grovelling a bit might help too.
> I have this dog barking crap all the time, and the dam dogs are in my own house, the dogs are my daughter's , she is well aware that they bark, but does not like the way I talk to them !!
> She had the vibrating collars, they worked, ' but they did not like them'. So she does not put them on.

I must have misunderstood.

> (By the way when I am in alone with the dogs they tend to bark a lot less, and if they do bark a quick death stare seems to do the trick, and they skulk back into their beds)

Glad to hear you have a solution to your problem.
jk
Post edited at 12:51
 jkarran 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> It is interesting that dog lovers on here are keen to pass on the problem onto the victims of the dogs bad behaviour. Not my job to sort ourt neighbours or families dogs...

I'm not keen to 'pass on the problem'. I'm suggesting that in the real world talking and compromise tends to achieve much better results than fuming quietly, immediately escalating the situation by involving the council or simply ranting without offering constructive options.

jk
M0nkey 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> He's a dog - he doesn't know that what he's doing is 'wrong'. More to the point, why does your mother-in-law have a dog that she abandons all day when you go to work? Take it to daycare, get it rehomed, or get it some company. Dogs get lonely too.

There is no way i'm taking that dog to daycare or a rehoming centre or anywhere. It's not my f##ing dog! And she doesn't leave it in the house while I go to work - she leaves it in the house shen SHE goes to work. She doesn't live with me. Also I actively dislike the dog so would be disinclined to help it even if I felt some sense of duty to resolve the situation.

I'm sure dogs do get lonely, but the OP wasn't asking how to make the dog's life more enriching - that's the owner's problem. OP just wants to not have to listen to the dog yapping, which is fair enough.
 Tall Clare 14 Apr 2014
In reply to M0nkey:
I wasn't suggesting you did all that, I was suggesting your mother in law did! Apologies for erroneous use of 'you' instead of 'she' in that bit.

We're having a 'delightful' conversation about pig pheremones at the moment - I think our neighbour read something in New Scientist or somesuch about them helping in stopping dogs barking.
Post edited at 14:40
M0nkey 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

In truth I suspected that was a typo and was halfway tongue in cheek with my response.

I am curious now about how you collect pig pheromones.
 Tall Clare 14 Apr 2014
In reply to M0nkey:

I have no idea (and dread to think!)
Jim C 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:
You will know well if I 'take on ' the daughter, I take on the other two sisters, my wife (and the dogs too

Either way the answer is earplugs for a quiet life.
Post edited at 17:48
 marsbar 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Jim C:

Do you have a shed?
Jim C 14 Apr 2014
In reply to marsbar:
Two sheds , I also have a loft

I would like to have these, but my daughter would put it on me.

youtube.com/watch?v=GgFS4SMe0SY&
Post edited at 18:22
 Trevers 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Voltemands:

My neighbors have exactly this pair of dogs. It's normally the little one that sets the big one off at 3 in the morning. I love dogs, have a black lab myself, but I want to dropkick the little s*** several gardens down

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...