UKC

Goblin Combe - Owl Rock - Spring spruce up!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Pylon King 10 Apr 2014
Just thought i'd let people know that ive spent some time over the last couple of months giving Owl Rock a bit of a spruce up.

Branches growing against the cliff have been trimmed back and several routes that have been totally overgrown for some considerable time (as noted in the 2004 guidebook!) have now been restored to their former glory:

Gremlin Groove HS 4b - really good, worth a star (maybe VS?),
Radagast VS 4c - really good, worth a star,
Greybeard (original version) HS 4a - not bad, a bit loose in places.

A handful of new routes have also been put up: VD - E3 (surprisingly).

Several crucial but dodgy FA pegs and unsightly threads have been replaced (hardware courtesy of Dick's climbing / Avon and Cheddar fixed gear fund) and the main abseil above Mithril now has a chunky and reassuring piece of static and mallion to abseil off.

Enjoy!

PK
 Choss 10 Apr 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

Too many Ticks bud.

Good effort Mark. I was there a couple of weeks ago and pleased to see the place looking so clean and tidy. In a similar vein Dinder Wood is in great shape thanks to the lads from Yeovil and yourself. The Yeovil lads were even spreading grass seed at the bottom of the crag! At this rate even the most esoteric Mendip offering will be worth a visit!

Ian
 BusyLizzie 10 Apr 2014

You are a star!
 The Ivanator 10 Apr 2014
Great to hear. Could you also exterminate the tick population?
Is the thread on Elrond gone for good? The tat was not there on the two occasions I have climbed in recent years and I couldn't see what it was ever threaded through - perhaps it is gone? Or my powers of observation may have been on the same infallible form as on my recent FCQ visit!
Post edited at 00:12
 CurlyStevo 11 Apr 2014

Were you hoping to find some gritstone under there?

Niceone though I like goblin coomb although the ticks and ants I'm not so keen on.
 cbonner 11 Apr 2014

Nice work Sir!
 tombeasley 11 Apr 2014

Great work!
 BALD EAGLE 11 Apr 2014

Cheers Mark very good effort and very much appreciated mate!
 ianlaw 11 Apr 2014

Thank you - will try Gremlin Groove soon.
 Kafoozalem 11 Apr 2014

Well done Mark. If a few more people would take secateurs to the crag every crag would be a far more pleasant experience. I've been doing my bit at Chudleigh this spring and reclimbedGground Control yesterday - lost for a decade under ivy. It needs a peg so I shall be back.
 nniff 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Kafoozalem:

Good effort. I added a pair of secateurs to my rack the other day at Wintours Leap. Surprisingly useful and a number of routes are tider as a result. On balance, the extra weight was less onerous than fighting with stray wild roses, brambles and ivy
 bpmclimb 11 Apr 2014

Ahem! …. no mention for your humble assistant?

FWIW removed loose rock and brambles from several routes, notably Precious - now a good E2 (with in situ thread), cleaned the direct finish to Gundabad. Also, kept paths and under-climb areas clear by piling and dragging ivy and other plant life away from the cliff, under Bard the Bowman and Greybeard. Not the most glamorous of jobs, but quite hard graft!
 bpmclimb 11 Apr 2014
In reply to bpmclimb:

Not that Mark hasn't done a sterling job, of course
In reply to bpmclimb:

Yes, sorry, and of course not forgetting Mr Mullan who has done a great job cleaning up a load of the mess.

He is currently at work on Eagle Rock...........
 FB 13 Apr 2014

good effort and thanks to you all for your hard work. Had a fantastic day their in the sun today. Will be back for another visit ASAP
 Alex T (RAFMA) 13 Apr 2014

Many thanks to all involved for their graft and kit. We had a great day out here on saturday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...