UKC

Fractured scapula

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ajsteele 11 Apr 2014
So yesterday on my commute home I had a little spill with the end result being a dislocated shoulder, fractured scapula and a very bruised ego. This couldn't have come at a worse time for me as recently I had being getting back out on longer rides and starting to lose some of the weight I had put on in the last year.

Anyway has anyone got any good news for me with regards to recovery time from this type of injury? I'm guessing a minimum of 6 weeks but kind of hopeful after a week or 2 I might be able to get back on the turbo at least?
Andy4 17 Apr 2014
In reply to ajsteele:

I would give it a good coupe of weeks before hitting the turbo.Yes six weeks maybe more, before a proper ride.
You will know how it is healing after the first few weeks,if you put weight on your bars and feel pain you know to lay off.
The dislocation can be an issue,due to it been immobilised because of the fracture.Slow and steady and listen to your body.
Try to refrain from taking pain medication in the latter stages just so you can train,no point in masking the injury,if it hurts lay off.
M0nkey 17 Apr 2014
In reply to ajsteele:

can you go hands free on the turbo trainer? Sorry if thats a stupid question i've never used one. If you aren't engaging the shoulder at all i'd have thought you could crack on with lower body/aerobic training.
 Escher 17 Apr 2014
In reply to ajsteele:
I fractured my shoulder socket and dislocated it in a crash nearly six weeks ago (glenoid fracture), not the same injury as yours but I didn't stop turbo training. The fact it wasn't diagnosed for two weeks may have had something to do with it but turbo training sat up was fine and I could lean on the handlebars without pain or feeling like I was making it worse but I mostly did it sat up. Couldn't do a session longer than 1.25 hours though as my arse couldn't take it without taking some weight off it with my hands! It's healed pretty rapidly but is still vulnerable (my shoulder no my arse ). I can't say whether any of that is advisable with your injury but turbo sitting up is definitely worth a try. I'm back on the road now and at least as fit as before. Good luck.
OP ajsteele 18 Apr 2014
In reply to all:

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm getting the turbo set up again this weekend so I'll give that a go and go hands free if it's bad as suggested.

I had some good news at the fracture clinic today in that it is not as bad as A&E had thought, doctor told me the fracture is hairline and should heal naturally so I now only need a small sling that only has to be worn if it is too painful. They thought the main pain I was describing was muscle damage so the physio gave me some exercises to perform to strengthen the muscles again (although doing the exercises was much more painful than the injury had been). So I'm pretty happy after that and hopeful to be out again soon enough.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...