UKC

Cyclist's/Belayer's neck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 11 Apr 2014
If you've been cycling or belaying for a good few decades you won't need this term explaining.
Some time ago, before the invention of belaying specs it occurred to me that some eyewear which allowed a cyclist to adopt a wind-efficient position with head down but still able to see where he was going would be a good idea. I even thought of prisms. I didn't get around to patenting the idea, of course.
My question is: has anyone tried cycling with belaying specs on?
 Choss 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I Remember reading about the Proper hardcore non stop 3000 mile RAAM (race across America) that some cyclists resort to attaching a bungee cord From the Back of their shorts to their helmet to keep their Neck in position.
 balmybaldwin 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I'm sure someone has, and has soon realised that they are pretty useless as you loose your periferal vision which is quite vital to avoid being killed
In reply to Choss:

> I Remember reading about the Proper hardcore non stop 3000 mile RAAM (race across America) that some cyclists resort to attaching a bungee cord From the Back of their shorts to their helmet to keep their Neck in position.

Yeah, that's known as Schermer's Neck, not uncommon amongst cyclists doing ultra distance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Shermer#Competitive_bicycling

I have seen people using belaying glasses for sport climbing before (especially useful on long redpoints), but I don't know if they made use of an angled mirror or a prism or what. No way I would want to use one for cycling though; you're surely not going to get much visibility with it!

The Potato 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

no man that would be madness, as mentioned youd need something wide angle for cycling
 nufkin 12 Apr 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

This reminds me of a relevant thread from last year:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=560066

malk 12 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:

you can alter the curvature of the mirrors..

how about linking your helmetcam to google glasses?
 nniff 12 Apr 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

On the plus side, when you are lying flat on your back in the middle of the road you can see the people coming to help you - or the lorry about to finish you off

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...