UKC

Eldon Hill Quarry - Peak District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ianjdodd 11 Apr 2014
Hi, I recently drove past Eldon Hill Quarry at the back of Mam Tor in the Peak District and was wondering if anyone has any experience of climbing in it. After doing some research it appears that cavers are allowed access.
Thanks for any comments.
 coreybennett 12 Apr 2014
In reply to ianjdodd:

If cavers are allowed then we should be too
 WJV0912 12 Apr 2014
In reply to ianjdodd:

I often wondered this, but then to be honest it looks like the biggest pile of loose shit I've ever seen. I imagine anyone with any experience of climbing in it has had their head caved in with falling rocks.
In reply to coreybennett: Why would you want to be allowed access to such a hideous pile of tottering rubbish? Have you no taste?

Fredt 12 Apr 2014
In reply to ianjdodd:

"Eldon Hole- Independence Day - E5 6a"
“For the really serious, Independence Day, E5 6a, (C) (for clean) 36m, provides something exceptional. It really is a hole in the ground, (Eldon Hole). Abseil part way down this bottomless pit to a three bolt belay. It is a fine example of a sporting sport climb (someone has pinched the bolts) so be warned.” Who in their right mind could resist such weirdness?
 Choss 12 Apr 2014
In reply to ianjdodd:

Sounds Like a tottering pile of utter cack.

with all the excellent Climbing Round there why would you want to go there? Go Climb the good stuff like mam tor gully. And the Ruffs is just up the road.
 Jack Loftus 12 Apr 2014
In reply to ianjdodd:

You wouldn't want to climbing in that place, its very loose.

As for access, its a bit dodgy as Chatsworth own the quarry and have had problems in the past.

From the DCA Handbook (Derbyshire Caving Association)

ELDON QUARRY:
Due to irresponsible vandalism to the tenants property, he has banned all access to the quarry, threatening legal action. Stay Away. Negotiations for access ongoing between DCA and the owners.
 coreybennett 13 Apr 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:

I don't know where it is? I don't know what it looks like or anything, I was just making a simple point
 Brown 13 Apr 2014
In reply to Fredt:

Eldon Hole and Eldon Hill Quarry are not the same place.

In addition to Independence Day in Eldon Hole has been de-geared and did not really look worth re-gearing.
In reply to coreybennett: Fair enough, but your point is lost because you don't know anything about the quarry. So what if cavers are allowed access. Why does it follow that climbers should be too?

OP ianjdodd 13 Apr 2014
In reply to Jack Loftus:

Thanks for all your comments guys.
 coreybennett 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:

I don't know, I was trying to make a simple point.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...