UKC

anyone been on the kinlochleven via ferrata?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SUColdo 11 Apr 2014

Thinking of heading up at the weekend? How easy is it to access? I have all the kit and don't want to pay.
Post edited at 22:22
 Nick_Scots 16 Apr 2014
In reply to SUColdo:

Don't think it's access able without paying.
 barranco 18 Apr 2014
In reply to SUColdo:

All the kit and don't want to pay? Maybe you could steal your lunch from the CO-OP while you're there? How about camping at the hostel then leave in the morning without paying?
 alexcollins123 18 Apr 2014
In reply to barranco:

...well thats the stupidest reply i've ever seen.

Almost every European VF is free, would make sense to ask and see if this one is too...
Jim C 18 Apr 2014
In reply to alexcollins123:

> ...well thats the stupidest reply i've ever seen.

> Almost every European VF is free, would make sense to ask and see if this one is too...

Looks like they have put a lot of time and expense into this.
http://www.glencoeactivities.com/viaferrata.php
 barranco 19 Apr 2014

Really?

"I have all the kit and don't want to pay".... not the same as "Do you need to pay to access the Via Ferrata and if so how much does it cost?"
 Raskye 19 Apr 2014
In reply to barranco:

> "I have all the kit and don't want to pay".... not the same as "Do you need to pay to access the Via Ferrata and if so how much does it cost?"

Or,

Almost every European VF is free, would make sense to ask and see if this one is too... and if not why not?
 barranco 19 Apr 2014
In reply to Raskye:

Because its a commercial venture?
 Raskye 19 Apr 2014
In reply to barranco:

Don't tell the Skye guides ... they'll charge for the use of the sling on the Inn Pin
Jim C 19 Apr 2014

> ...well thats the stupidest reply i've ever seen.

> Almost every European VF is free, would make sense to ask and see if this one is too...

Go to the 'chain walk' on the East coast for the free version, but it is pretty tame in comparison.
 Joak 20 Apr 2014
In reply to SUColdo:
The Kinlochleven via freerata is probably yer best bet.
Post edited at 01:09
 Trangia 20 Apr 2014
In reply to barranco:

Well said! Excellent answer. The OP is a mean individual with no concept of how commerce works or why European via ferratae are free to use, or he/she's a troll.
 Raskye 20 Apr 2014
In reply to Trangia:

And perhaps you'd enlighten us?
 Trangia 20 Apr 2014
In reply to Raskye:

In Europe they are paid for and constructed by the local communes to attract tourists to the area who figure that the income generated to all businesses in the commune outweighs their costs, so they are free. I picked up an interesting article from the Tourist Office in La Grave last year explaining call this.

In the Dolomites they were originally constructed by the military on both sides in the Great War and are "maintained? " by the locals on the same basis.

Kinlochleven is a simple commercial enterprise
 deacondeacon 20 Apr 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Yep as trangia has stated. They're often maintained by the local Alpine club.
You still get Via Ferratas which are commercial and unsurprisingly you need to pay to use them.
 Raskye 20 Apr 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Yep, nothing new or difficult to understand there then.
RCC 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Trangia:

> Kinlochleven is a simple commercial enterprise

It's an interesting question though.

There are other facilities that we use in the hills (i.e. estate tracks) that are commercially funded. I wonder what would happen if estates tried to charge for using them?

I understand that there is a specific exclusion in the access legislation for land where the public are normally charged to enter (iirc there is a minimum requirement of 90 charged days per year). Do VD even own the land in where the VF is located?

As I understand it, you need a ladder to access the 1st cable, but if you brought you own, I wonder if they could stop you?

barranco 21 Apr 2014
In reply to RCC:
As far as I'm aware the land is leased to VD by Rio Tinto so yes they do have "ownership". This discussion has nothing to do with access rights or legislation... the VF is a commercial venture that you pay to use, no different from the high ropes course at Nevis Range for example
Post edited at 17:18
 connor 21 Apr 2014
In reply to SUColdo:

I also hear there are some other things to get round that the guide has a key for. Bear traps?
RCC 21 Apr 2014
In reply to barranco:

> This discussion has nothing to do with access rights or legislation... the VF is a commercial venture that you pay to use, no different from the high ropes course at Nevis Range for example

I was wondering whether that is true. High ropes course is one example. Another might be the graded road along loch ericht. Undoubtedly a commercial venture to provide access to their paying guests, but also quite handy as a cycle route. Would I pay to use it? Could they charge? Probably not in both cases. What about a private bridge on estate land?

To my mind a VF is more like those examples than a purpose built commercial structure, so it would be interesting to know how it stands with regards to access legislation. In any case, what VD are really selling is their expertise as guides. I doubt that there is too much overlap between their client base and the kind of person who would want to do it for free.

Raskye 21 Apr 2014
In reply to RCC:

> As I understand it, you need a ladder to access the 1st cable, but if you brought you own, I wonder if they could stop you?

If you have the gear and some idea, it wouldn't take much effort to get up the 1st bit

BTW Barranco.... CCTV???? LOL LOL LOL
 aln 21 Apr 2014
In reply to SUColdo:

To get back to the OP....
Has anyone been on it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...