UKC

San Francisco car rental

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 1poundSOCKS 12 Apr 2014
I'm planning a trip to California in Sept/Oct and car rental seems to be about £1000 for 2 months for a compact. Ideally I want to pick up and drop off at San Francisco airport. Does anybody know of any better deals?

Thanks.
 Offwidth 12 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

The big names hire companies normally have no economy cars, so booking one can save money. Worst case you change your mind and pay an upgrade. 20+ trips so far and we always got a compact or a mid size
 HenryC 12 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Buy one?
 timjones 12 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

£1000 for 2 months sounds like quite a good deal to me.
OP 1poundSOCKS 12 Apr 2014
In reply to Offwidth: Which company do you normally use?

In reply to HenryC: I have thought about it. Have you done it?

In reply to timjones: It doesn't sound too bad, but it's still a lot of money.

timjones 12 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> It doesn't sound too bad, but it's still a lot of money.

You're right enough there ;(

But if you break it down to the cost per week it looks pretty good.

Do you need a car all the time or can you use coaches or trains for some of the trip. I found that Greyhound buses were great value when I was out there last year.
In reply to timjones:
I usually like to keep my options open, which isn't the cheapest way I know. I tend to travel on my own too, which also makes it more expensive. Latest plan is Lake Tahoe in September, Yosemite in October. I think for Lake Tahoe, a car is essential, I could probably do without for Yosemite, but it is always nice to have one, and I am tempted to spend some time in Red Rocks too.
Post edited at 14:44
 Enty 12 Apr 2014
 hamsforlegs 12 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Car hire in North America is expensive, and this sounds like a good deal.

Buying and selling a car is possible, but you have to factor in the (potentially massive) faff and unreliability factor; you could easily lose a big chunk of the hire cost if you screw it up.

As above - book an economy option and you might well get a compact or mid-size (though not always in the big cities).
 Enty 12 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> I usually like to keep my options open, which isn't the cheapest way I know. I tend to travel on my own too, which also makes it more expensive. Latest plan is Lake Tahoe in September, Yosemite in October. I think for Lake Tahoe, a car is essential, I could probably do without for Yosemite, but it is always nice to have one, and I am tempted to spend some time in Red Rocks too.

If you drive from Yosemite to Redrocks you could spend some time in Bishop before driving through Death valley and over to Vegas.

E
In reply to Enty: Cheers Craig. I do remember you telling me about the insurance before. Sounds complex, and I'm not very good with complex!

In reply to Enty: When I think of Bishop, I always think of super highball bouldering. Gulp! :S

In reply to hamsforlegs: I was just comparing it with 2011, I did pay £1,100 for 2 months then, but that was pick up New York, drop of LA. I was hoping to pick up and drop of at SF airport would knock it down a fair bit. I'm happy with any size car really.

timjones 12 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> When I think of Bishop, I always think of super highball bouldering. Gulp! :S

I spent a week there on the AAC meet last year, forget the bouldering there is some great climbing in the area.
In reply to timjones: Just looked on the map. Must have driven through before, but I don't remember. Do you know if there's a main climber focussed campsite?

Offwidth 12 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Most commonly Alamo but whichever we get the best deal for.
 Enty 12 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Climber's camping used to be at Horton Creek but I think it's now at Pleasant valley Pit which is nearer the boulders.

I actually preffered the routing in the Owen's River Gorge. It's a bit industrial with a similar atmosphere to the Slate Quarries but the climbing suited me.

E
In reply to Enty: I like the slate quarries, I'll have to do a bit of research into OWG.

In reply to Offwidth:
Thanks, I'll check Alamo.

Checked it. Similar price, about £1,000.
Post edited at 16:06
 Enty 12 Apr 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> I like the slate quarries, I'll have to do a bit of research into OWG.

You'll get mixed opinions on here but like I said I loved it.

E
In reply to Enty: Ha ha, yes, just read some comments on UKC about the loose gully descents. They suggested going to Bishop instead!

timjones 13 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

> You'll get mixed opinions on here but like I said I loved it.

> E

I wasn't so keen on the Owens River Gorge but it's definitely worth a visit if you're in the area. The climbing around Pine Creek was great IMO and an hour to the south you've got the Alabama Hills and Whitney Portal.
 Enty 13 Apr 2014
In reply to timjones:

Yes we climbed on the Dihedrals. A mate of mine did the 13a arete - Ecstacy and I did it's little sister on the right - Eclipsed.
Some great routes there, Pratt's crack and sheila.

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...