UKC

Aviemore accommodation and destinations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
James Jackson 13 Apr 2014
Hi all,

I'm thinking of heading up to Scotland next weekend (Easter Sunday for a few days) for some spring skiing - seeing all the photos there seems to be plenty around to play on, especially in the gullies.

Having never (and I'm hanging my head in shame here) climbed / skied in Scotland, I'd welcome suggestions on where to stay; friendly B&Bs etc. Not looking to break the bank, but also I'm past slumming it. I'm thinking Aviemore would be a good base to branch out from.

Also - suggestions on where to head welcome. I will only have alpine ski gear with me, so skinning up things is out. However, I'm more than happy to throw crampons on my my ski boots and mountaineer my way up. It's all enjoyment and adventure at the end of the day.

Many thanks!
James
aligibb 13 Apr 2014
In reply to James Jackson:

theres a youth hostel just near Glenmore Lodge that is really good - http://www.visitscotland.com/info/accommodation/cairngorm-lodge-youth-hoste...
 Cuthbert 13 Apr 2014

I would recommend you don't go to Aviemore. There is a lot more snow at Glen Coe and please bear in mind that it's mid april now.

I was skiing on Cairn Gorm yesterday (Lurcher's Gully) and personally I wouldn't make the long journey from down south to ski on Cairn Gorm. You will have more fun at Glen Coe I think.
In reply to Saor Alba:

Yep, aware it's April but I've seen plenty of reports of gullies still in condition; hence I'm after ideas for decent 'hybrid' days - skis on pack, walk in, and ski down. Any suggestions for good stuff along those lines in the Glen Coe area?

... And when I say 'walk in' I include soloing up something before skiing back down.
 Webster 14 Apr 2014

are you against uplift? glencoe and nevis still have plenty of snow and options for challenging semi lift accessed back country and off piste.
James Jackson 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Webster:

No, certainly not against it, but I also rather like the idea of climbing a gully before skiing back down it. But, with a few days to play with, all options are certainly open.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...