UKC

First triathlon - yet again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 StefanB 13 Apr 2014
Ok, this thread has been had before, but just for my piece of mind, I'll ask (I ma rather nervous about this race):

I have 3 weeks till my first triathlon, olympic distance. I currently run a 10k in about 44 minutes, with a PB of just under 2 minutes faster, but am really more at home on longer distances.
I swim twice a week in the pool and a non-stop session of 2.000m takes me 42-43 minutes. I don't get to tired doing that and could go further, but I cannot go any faster. It's like being stuck in a certain gear.
Cycling is my weakest point. I go out on a mountain bike occasionally and when I borrowed a road bike some weeks a go, I could do 110km with some hills, but painfully slow (6 hours). A new road bike has been ordered and will be with me this coming week. I have also obtained a wet suite and take ages getting it on and off.
First of all, please tell me that I won't place dead last.
And then let me know any tips, particularly what I should do during the next 3 weeks to optimise any possible results. Another question would be what to do about nutrition. Is it just liquid carbs on the bike or do people take bars and gels?
BTW: The race is on the mediterranean coast, flat run, and almost flat bike, so should be hot and fast.
 JamButty 13 Apr 2014
In reply to StefanB:
With a 10K that speed you'll never be last.
Have you swam open water in a wetsuit before - its very different to a pool so if not I would see that as essential.
You can do the distance easy on the bike so just go and have fun.
I'm normally top 5% after the swim, mid range bike and one of the slowest runners, so I have the pleasure of having lots of people hurtle past me on the bike and run!!
I do liquid on bike, and perhaps a gel towards the end of the bike - see what fuel stations they have - you also have the transitions to fuel up/

Oh and good luck!
Post edited at 23:13
Removed User 14 Apr 2014
In reply to StefanB:

My 10cents worth:

You MUST get used to an open water swim in a wet suit. You will generally be a little faster if it is a full body wet suit and 10 mins per 500 meters isn't really slow just not super fast so I doubt you'll be last out of the water. Number one rule - do not set off too fast on the swim and do not panic.

Don't panic in the transition either, just relax a little and things will go smoother.

Your run time is good and you'll be surprised how little time (if any) you lose due to the additional disciplines.

Your bike is your achilles because you really need to be spending time on a road bike. Get Aero bars and get used to using them.

You will not place last.

Bob, 1st Tri last year, placed 46th out of 200 with similar times to you.

PS. Enjoy it!
Removed User 14 Apr 2014
In reply to StefanB:

Sorry, there's more.

Keep your cadence high on the bike (above 90rpm)and change gears when it drops below this otherwise you will burn your legs out.

I took a Gel every 45mins and used an electrolyte drink on the bike. I took my first gel just before the swim.
OP StefanB 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Removed User and JamButty:

Thanks for this. Based on what you say, I should probably spend the next three weeks in sea and on the bike. I my plan for now is to use lunch time for some open water swimming (I work half mile away from the beach). How do people train in open water? I assume there are some safety concerns. Is it just a question of getting out far enough to not be where the waves break and go parallel to the coast?

Also, I was planning to practise running of the bike, but is there any point in biking of the swim in training? There are logistical issues with this for me, as would mean leaving an expensive bike somewhere near a public beach.
 The Norris 14 Apr 2014
In reply to StefanB:

In my limited experience (2nd year of tri this year, having raced 3 last year), cycling after the swim is fine, but running after the bike does feel weird, and it took me a good 15 mins to get my running legs, so perhaps focus on that transition.

Definitely agree to practicing in open water and taking it easy at the start, I went off way too quick in my first race and nearly had to pull out within 100m of the swim as i was in some odd state of sheer hyperventilating panic!

Get your transition organised in your head, have a few run throughs of swim-bike. While the pros seem to keep their cycling shoes on the bike and strap in on the move, most punters like me tended to just put their cycling shoes on and run in the until the bike mount zone. I'd just keep it simple. I've seen people in transition having a chat on their mobile in the past, so dont worry too much about rushing!

You definitely wont be last. Enjoy!

steveriley 14 Apr 2014
In reply to The Norris:

I haven't done a triathlon for years but yes, you should at least have a go at running after the bike. Best get the comedy out of the way in advance, rather than on the day

And don't get psyched out by people trying to climb over your head early in the swim.
You'll be fine, comfortably early part of mid-pack.
Removed User 15 Apr 2014
In reply to The Norris:

>> I went off way too quick in my first race and nearly had to pull out within 100m of the swim as i was in some odd state of sheer hyperventilating panic!

This is exactly what happened to me. It was a really odd experience where I had to really calm myself down.
 Liam M 15 Apr 2014
In reply to StefanB: Getting the wetsuit off normally isn't a problem; they expand a bit when wet. Though looking at the current average water temperatures of the Med, dependent upon how shallow and sheltered it is and what the intervening weather does, you may be prevented from using it.

Unless it's a very strong field, you'll probably leave the water mid-pack.

In the handful of Oly's I've done, I just had a few mouthfuls of jelly babies in transition, and taken some water on the bike.

I'd just try and get as comfortable as you can on the bike between now and then.

Just enjoy it!
 jethro kiernan 15 Apr 2014
In reply to StefanB:

Good luck with the triathlon my few pence worth,

get some open water swimming done asap (I am going in for the first time this year at the weekend)

Get on your new road bike, too late for tribars so just spend some time on the bike going at a decent pace (90 rpm) and also decide if you are going clipless.

practice bike to run a few times (bricks)

practice transition a couple of times but just relax it takes as long as it takes, have an option of a warmer top gillet etc as a cold weather option (make sure its easy to put on I can remember taking a slim fitting overhead cycling top that was a complete nighmare to put on when wet from the pool)

one bottle of not to srong sports drink and a gel on the bike , with a gel in reserve for the run should be more than enough

as has been said your run times and comfort with swimming will mean you shouldn't be last in fact you should make the the top 40% (at a guess)
 Uppers 15 Apr 2014
In reply to StefanB:

Beware glycogen depletion especially through over egging it early on. Pushing above 80% of your maximum capacity can see glycogen stores depleted to zero in under 90 minutes. Carb load in preparation and stay hydrated. I've never done a triathlon (would like to) but I do do a lot of cycling and starting slow and keeping energy levels throughout is key to maintaining performance - going out fast always compromises my overall performance, if I start steady and then slowly ramp it up I can push good PB's on longer distances.
In reply to StefanB:

youtube.com/watch?v=NRKajY5GlyI&

lessons to be learned with regards clipless and transitions
 Uppers 15 Apr 2014
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Brilliant!
OP StefanB 15 Apr 2014
Thanks again to all of you. Just went for a lunch time wet suite swim (the benefits of working less than 1km from the med). It actually felt fairly warm for wearing a wet suite, so I will just wait and see what the conditions and rules regarding wet suites will be on the day.

I also picked the bike up yesterday. What a difference to riding a borrowed bike that doesn't fit my size properly!

In terms of glycogen depletion, carb loading, etc., I am not too worried as I am used to doing marathons and ultras, so I will just stick to my usual pre-race protocol and take liquid carbs on the bike.
In reply to StefanB:

Lucky you with the swim, bracing myself for the Artic lake conditions in North wales
 Hat Dude 15 Apr 2014
In reply to StefanB:

Get organised for the transitions, think about the best way to set out your gear and though I might be stating the obvious; make sure you know exactly where your bike is racked and the quickest way through the transition area,it's surprising how many people you see looking lost!

ClimberEd 15 Apr 2014
In reply to StefanB:

At this stage your 3 most beneficial activities, as some have said, are:
1. Practice OW swimming, particularly sighting in coordination with breathing
2. Practice transition (talc in socks helps pull them on quick)
3. Practice running off the bike - even if it is just 10mins at the end of each ride.

Good luck and enjoy, course sounds fab.
OP StefanB 17 Apr 2014
So far all going well. I am doing time on the bike and in the sea and learning new skills.

Today I have learnt that my car won't start, if I take my key with me on the open water swim (electronic antitheft device). Half a day and 115€ lost dealing with breakdown service and mechanics
Any tricks for dealing with not having to leave stuff around on a public beach whilst swimming?

The Norris 17 Apr 2014
In reply to StefanB:

Key under the wheel arch/just inside the exhaust is my usual trick when i go surfing. Not had my car nicked yet, but it is pretty much a banger!
 ClimberEd 17 Apr 2014
In reply to StefanB:

Surf shops will sell you a combination box that you attached to your tow loop on the car or nearby fence or similar for exactly that purpose.

OP StefanB 04 May 2014

Well, the event was today and it went really well. 2h55m. The sea was slightly choppy and a bit windy on the bike, but fine otherwise. One of the buoys collapsed so sighting was hard on the two lap swim. Surprisingly, I gained most of the positions I gained on the bike, which I had assumed to be my weakest point. No major blunders in transition, although there is plenty of room for improving efficiency.
Thanks again for all the help.
Post edited at 19:01
Removed User 04 May 2014
In reply to StefanB:

Well done. Not last then?
OP StefanB 04 May 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Not quite, maybe two thirds down
Removed User 04 May 2014
In reply to StefanB:

Well, now you have a benchmark to aim at.
OP StefanB 17 May 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Tri number two has been today. Sprint distance in 1h13m.

Will try a middle distance race next. Any opinions for clip on aero bars on a standard road bike?
 The Norris 17 May 2014
In reply to StefanB:

That's ace! well done on both your results! I havent entered anything yet this year, and you've just inspired me to sort myself out.
 Lurking Dave 19 May 2014
In reply to StefanB:

Profile aerobars work well.
A bento box for food on ride is a cheap happy upgrade also.

LD
OP StefanB 15 Jun 2014
In reply to Lurking Dave:

Yesterday, I premiered in half ironman distance. Went fairly well, but the temperature got up to 35 degrees on the run, and I I just went into survival mode. After the bike I was sure to get below 5 and a half hours, but in the end it was 5h42m. Particularly pleased with the swim, 32min in the water.
Bit worried about the next longer distance though. Big step up from half to full

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...