UKC

Help me define some running goals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drolex 14 Apr 2014
Hi all!

Like every spring I have started to run again, because I know it's good for me. Unfortunately I lack the long-term motivation to keep running 2 or 3 times a week (i.e. I'm a lazy potato).

But this year I really mean it. To help me staying motivated I am trying to define some mid-term goals.

Without much training (new year), I am running 5k in 26 minutes and 10k in 55 minutes - I am still ok at the end. But I feel I am incredibly slow.

Any suggestion of reasonable goals to set over, say, 3 months and 6 months? I don't want to achieve anything in particular, just need some objectives to focus on. Otherwise I will keep running slow and will get bored. But no idea how much I can expect to progress.

Constraints:
- can run 2-3 times a week
- ~ 1 hr sessions

Any other idea on how to keep my bottom out of the coach welcome. Thanks!
 Nick Russell 14 Apr 2014
In reply to drolex:

Not really goals, but the obvious suggestions (to me) are:
1) Join a club. There's probably one nearby that has a training day coinciding with your running slots.
2) Do some interval sessions. Keeps the boredom at bay and helps you get faster.
3) Run off road a bit (if you're currently running on road). Ok, it might not help with the speed, but I find it more enjoyable and motivating.
 Ava Adore 14 Apr 2014
In reply to drolex:

Look for a race to run near you in the next couple of months. That always gave me a focus to keep me training.
 ben b 14 Apr 2014
In reply to drolex:

Lots of great fell races in your part of the world and some strong clubs with regular training - thereby combining off road and racing.

I can't ever sustain road running for long either - I find it just too dull for words. The hills on the other hand are aways different, always interesting, less strain on the knees, and you get a good level of fitness and coordination for other mountain activities.

Get some fell shoes and go for it

b

wbo 14 Apr 2014
In reply to drolex: Get yourself a paper year planner with a little box for each day, and then put some races into that. For 6 months put in something like 3 or 4 5k's if there are any parkruns local to you, a 10k or 2 and something like a short offroad race. First race in 3 -4 weeks time and once a month - maybe 5k, 5k, 10k, 5k, whatever.

It makes time and training planning much easier to do, and always worked well as a motivational tool for me

OP drolex 14 Apr 2014
In reply to drolex:

Thanks all for the suggestions. Not sure about running clubs, I am more a solitary guy I'm afraid - but will try. Running in the hills, definitely something I will/should do. And looking at races (in the hills then)...
 Uluru 14 Apr 2014
In reply to drolex:

Hi Drolex, you could try doing your local Park Run on a Saturday morning? If you're interested in improving your times it's a 5km timed free 'race' once a week.

www.parkrun.org.uk
 nw 14 Apr 2014
In reply to drolex:

Find something you actually enjoy doing? Running isn't the be all and end all of fitness that a lot of people think it is. Road running especially, great way to get skinny-fat and destroy your knees.
 Neil Williams 14 Apr 2014
In reply to nw:

It is a very effective way of shifting weight (in calories per hour terms) though...

Neil
 Uppers 14 Apr 2014
In reply to drolex:

Agree with many of the others join a club, enter a comp or make it more of an experience than a chore. I'm also a really keen cyclist and gave spinning a go for the first time a few months ago and was surprised how good the cardio work is - that said it's not a lone wolf experience. Having people to do these things with is probably the biggest motivator as the fear of letting them down is a good motivator.

Oh, one trick I do which may sound weird is that I decide I'm going running with my sub concious and then when I get home I allow myself to have the inner monologue of excuses for why I should not run but at the same time get changed into my running stuff - by the time I'm at the door I'm going running. Probably sounds mad but works for me.
 Ander 14 Apr 2014
In reply to drolex:

Find your local Park Run
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/

Select a race- 5k or 10k, maybe up to 10m/15km with your training contraints
http://findarace.com/

Get a training programme:
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/

Or some combination of all 3.
 The New NickB 14 Apr 2014
In reply to nw:

Can you explain what you mean by skinny-fat.
 Banned User 77 14 Apr 2014
In reply to nw:

why does it destroy your knees?

OP.. are those times races or training?

If training I'd do a park run, look for a fairly fast flat one, look at past results (quick would be winning times sub 17) or ask on here for local ones.

that will give you a better idea of where from here..
 nw 14 Apr 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Low BMI but high(ish) body fat. Skinny with a soft middle typically. Think of your stereotypical lycra swaddled middle aged sunday cyclist, wiry limbs but quite a paunch.

Obviously for someone who is goes from sedentary to active there will be quite a noticable effect because of the increased calorie expenditure. But as your body gets used to running and becomes more efficient at it, running becomes less of a stress and you use less calories over the seme distance. Your body has adapted. To keep burning calories you have to increase the dose of stress, ie run longer. So if you settle into a running routine the benefits diminish.

If you enjoy running then obviously you should do it. But the OP doesn't sound like he is loving it, and there are plenty of other things that would be at least as beneficial as running.
OP drolex 14 Apr 2014
In reply to nw:

> Find something you actually enjoy doing? Running isn't the be all and end all of fitness that a lot of people think it is. Road running especially, great way to get skinny-fat and destroy your knees.

I actually enjoy running, but the biggest effort in the activity is going through the door at the beginning. Once I am running, it's fine. No excuse for that...

Running is the only physical activity that I can reasonably do when I find I have one free hour between changing a nappy and going to work. Otherwise I would be frolicking in the hills all the time. Unfortunately I can only frolic on week-ends.
 nw 14 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Smashing your bodyweight through your limbs thousands of times probably. I'm talking about road running here particularly. You obviously have good running genetics, but you must have come across plenty of people who have suffered knee problems from running? More say than from climbing?
 nw 14 Apr 2014
In reply to drolex:

> I actually enjoy running,

Fair enough, I'll shurrup.

nw 14 Apr 2014
In reply to drolex:

You could always try prancercise
In reply to nw:

Efficiency gains have less impact on calorie expenditure, unless you are including weight loss as an efficiency, in which case it applies to pretty much all exercise.
 Banned User 77 14 Apr 2014
In reply to nw:

You do.. but you come across old men still running, running aids blood flow which aids regeneration and repair processes.

I think moderate mileage, 25-50 miles a week is very health, admittedly I think 100/120+ when you get into higher mileage may be an issue.. but noone really knows.

Its like people who die running, Jim Fixx, some say he died because he ran, others say he only lived so long because of running..
 nw 14 Apr 2014
> Efficiency gains have less impact on calorie expenditure, unless you are including weight loss as an efficiency, in which case it applies to pretty much all exercise.

It applies much less to activities where you are not relying on movement of your body over ground to burn the calories eg weight lifting, HIT on an ergo etc

nw 14 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Yeah this is the problem with all exercise 'science' isn't it, it's impossible to answer these questions definitively because practically and ethically you can't have thousands of people perfectly controlled in labs using different protocols and diets.
In reply to nw:

The key inputs for calories burnt running are weight and distance, assuming time is constant. As a runner loses weight and becomes more efficient, the get faster and run further in the same time. Personally my weight is about 10% less than when I started running, but I am 25% faster, as a result I actually burn more calories now.
 nw 14 Apr 2014

Yeah running faster works up to a point becasue it's more work done in the time. The total novice who goes from 10min miles to 7 min miles is obviously working harder and using more energy. But how much do you increase your speed after those first months of training? When I used to run regularly, I got to 6.20 ish a mile on a three mile run well within a year. After that any improvement - and we are talking seconds here - came very, very slowly. How many more calories does some one running 6.10 burn than someone running 6.20? I don't know, but the difference can't be huge. So after you've exhausted your beginner-early intermediate improvements, if weight loss is your goal, you have to increase the mileage. Personally I find this less than ideal.

I'm not denying that you can lose weight running, but IMO you hit diminishing returns quite quickly.
 Liam M 14 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK: There is a growing body of evidence that running, due to its weight bearing nature is good for preventing the onset of osteoporosis and other musculoskeletal problems - the impact stimulates bone growth.

You find a lot of knee injuries occur in those who try to do too much too soon, rather than taking the time to build a solid base.
 Liam M 14 Apr 2014
In reply to nw: I'm intrigued that you think things like HIIT are more effective for aggregate calorie expenditure. The rate during activity may be higher than for lower intensity activity but the time to exhaustion drops much more quickly.

You're highly limited in the total volume you can do before you leave yourself exposed to over training or injury.

My capacity to recover over time has improved, but even so I'd struggle to sustain more than an hour a week total at what could genuinely be considered high intensity
 nw 14 Apr 2014
In reply to Liam M:

What I am saying is that it is a more effective use of time. With HIT (for example on an ergo or a heavy bag)you can keep burning a similar amount of calories per unit of time over say a year. Let's say you do 10 minutes of high intensity rowing on an ergo machine, every other day. The machine is providing the resistance, and it can be inreased, so after twelve months you are burning approximately the same amount of calories per session.Whereas if you are an overweight novice and ran thirty minutes every other day for a year, you'd be burning less calories by the end than you were at the beginning because you weigh less, are more efficient etc.

Also strength training and HIT, including intense running, elevates your metabolic rate more and for longer than steady running. So you are burning more calories after you stop.
In reply to nw:

I don't run to lose weight, I run to run faster, to do that I need to be lean, maximising power and aerobic ability in relation to weight.

Obviously high intensity training has its place in running, they are called intervals and to a certain extent racing.
 nw 14 Apr 2014

Fair one. I was talking in the context of people training for general fitness, which was how I read the OP. For many people starting from a sedentary lifestyle fat loss is often part of this.

Neil Williams 15 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

"why does it destroy your knees?"

If you're heavy it's pretty high intensity on the knees. But that said this can be mitigated by buying bouncier trainers.

Neil
 The New NickB 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

> If you're heavy it's pretty high intensity on the knees. But that said this can be mitigated by buying bouncier trainers.

I am not into all this barefoot woo, but I do think addition padding or bounce gives very limited protection to the can lead to other problems.

I think some people probably have knee weaknesses and running is likely to make them worse, I don't think heathy knees have much to worry about from running.
 Neil Williams 15 Apr 2014
"I think some people probably have knee weaknesses and running is likely to make them worse"

I do have dodgy knees (right one dodgy because of a pushbike crash years ago, left one dodgy because of overcompensating) and "bouncy" shoes with a lot of support make quite some difference. But then I am on the heavy side - 17 stone at the moment (and slowly losing weight because of the running - but realistically I won't go much below 15-16st as I'm heavily built and tall anyway).

Neil
Post edited at 11:39
 Guy 15 Apr 2014
In reply to drolex:

To those who run and cycle - do you think the running equivalent of "evens" i.e. 30 mins in a 10mile TT is 20 mins in a 10k?

I personally find 20 minute 10k is tougher but then I have done more cycling.

andy 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Guy:
20 min 10k is pretty tough - I think you'd have the world record by a fair chunk.

Now assuming you meant a 20min 5k, I think a 30min 10m is easier (assuming both are flat) - 20mph for 30 mins on a bike is an easier proposition aerobically than what will be well in the red zone for a lot of people (ie running 3x6:20 minute miles).

In fact you only have to look at most mid-field triathletes - most will be averaging c20mph+ for a 40k bike leg, but there won't be many punters breaking 40mins for the 10k (and equivalent for a sprint tri with 20k bike and 5k run).
Post edited at 17:14
 Guy 15 Apr 2014
In reply to andy: Ooops! 5k sorry!

Guy 15 Apr 2014
In reply to andy:

It certainly feels that way to me but I have only been running for 3 months so am a novice when it comes to pace and running efficiently.
In reply to drolex:

I was in your situation a couple of years ago with similar times to you. Ill give you two peneth.

Started running to lose weight and increase fitness. Best thing I did was to run outdoors, cant stand treadmills anymore.

Running 3-5 times per week at the start and built distance from there then a year ago I ran my first ever race, the flat Lincoln 10k in 48 mins. Was I chuffed or what. Since then I have joined a club for inspiration and motivation - its not always easy, and I have picked up some injuries along the way - I'm 38. I run the park run every week when I can and run longer at the weekends with this last weekend at 17 miles, which is the longest i have ever run and at 8:30 steady pace.

I now do a race once per month including two marathons planned for later this year and loads of halves under my belt.

Last weekend I ran my first race anniversary, the Lincoln 10k again in perfect conditions. I achieved 43:28 which was almost a minute below PB. 5k is down to almost 21 mins. HM at 1:36:40.

My situation probably started in very similar circumstances to you, wanting to get fit, but the fitter i got, the more I wanted to run, the better I got and the achievements kept coming in. Im out with the clb tonight and the though of running ten miles no longer scares me, it actually excites me.

Also, I should add, I have lost a stone in weight, my body looks better and I am in a good BMI range (yes i know, not a great measure but before I was obese according to BMI, now I am not). If i cut out crap I would be lean but I dont have the best diet (loads of good stuff and loads of bad).

Best of all, I can eat what the hell I like within reason...

Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can.
 Liam M 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Guy: I think 20min 5k is a lot harder. I'm not built for time trialling, and have done a lot more running, both volume and speed wise. It took a fair time to break 20min however, whereas I beat evens pace on my first TT (I say pace as it was technically on a lumpy 12.5mile course that I did in 34mins).
 The New NickB 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Guy:

If you use top amateur standards of 18 mins for 10 mile TT and 14 mins for a road 5k as benchmarks, the 30 minute TT looks easier, more like a 23:20 5k.
OP drolex 15 Apr 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Thanks for that! Great dedication, quite impressive; and nice times too (well, I think).
 wadey1973 15 Apr 2014
In reply to drolex:

What about entering an event such as one of Lakeland Trails, it`s still not to late to enter the Autumn series and the half marathon/marathon in July. I`ve found it has given me the focus and motivation this year to get out there and to run up some hill`s, and maybe even beat my last years results? Whatever you do it should be fun, although sometimes it doesn`t feel it!
OP drolex 15 Apr 2014
In reply to wadey1973:
Yep I am looking for things like that - I have just entered the 9 edges endurance, only as a walker/climber, but that already gives some motivation to keep running.

I will look for more serious running stuff, thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: After a proper look at the trails: wow that looks really nice! Thank you very much indeed!
Post edited at 21:20
 Guy 16 Apr 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

It sounds like you have done a good progressive build there. Well done on all the PB's!
 Guy 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Liam M:

It certainly seems hard for me. I tried yesterday to do a 5k and got 20:20.00 on a grit/gravel but almost flat path. I set off too fast (5.52 pace it turns out) and faded badly. Rookie mistakes. I guess I should go and try a 10mile TT tonight to see how I get on with that although I have only been on the bike a couple of times this year so I guess it wouldn't be good!
 The New NickB 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Guy:

Race if you want to do a sub 20 5k, I am aiming for a sub 18 5k this year, but will rarely run 5k at anything approaching sub 20 minute pace in training. Training tends to be shorter faster intervals or longer stuff ranging from a bit to a lot slower.
 Guy 16 Apr 2014

I ducked under and got a 19.55 last week on the way to a 44.04 10k, again set off too fast! There is a theme here.... You are right though I need to do some intervals, I just fancied seeing what I could do.
 The New NickB 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Guy:

Ouch, 19:55, 24:09, that is blowing up badly. I am a classic fast starter, it can work on 5k sometimes and my one and only race win was a blast and hold on, but where I have run good 10k times, I have overcome that urge and run very even races, usually with my first mile the slowest. It is quite nice spend the race overtaking.
 Guy 16 Apr 2014

3 months of running and I still haven't got a clue when it comes to faster pacing.

As for overtaking I spent most of the Grindleford Gallop being overtaken after going off fast to get ahead of the bottleneck. After that I settled in to a steady pace and it actually went really well. I picked up a few places on the final run in which was pleasing and came home in 3:13.00, much better than expected off a longest run of 12 miles. I seem to be able to read my body when it comes to endurance just not measured fast pace.

jethro kiernan 16 Apr 2014
In reply to drolex:

You could use strava could for solitary types or those who cant make club runs
http://www.strava.com/
they have Various challenges it mentains an online diary of your runs/bike and you can set yourselve challenges ie. sub 45min 10k and a time to achieve them. there are also various group races and challenges so you can see where you stand against the rest of the strava world with regards either times or milage.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...