UKC

Lakes this weekend - staying in Thornthwaite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hey all, a group of us is staying at Lanefoot Farm, Thornthwaite, this weekend and I'm looking for good circular walks that don't demand a long drive from the campsite.

Ive done the Coledale Round, Skiddaw and Blancathra which are both close, and the Kentmere horseshoe.

Newlands Round is one good option which we haven't done and possibly Fairfield Horsehoe. What other options are there closeby?

Ta

R

DaveWoody 14 Apr 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

The Newlands Round is a stunning walk, and one of my favourite places in the Lakes. Beautiful and varied views throughout the walk, and the Newlands Valley is a real treasure.

If you do go for it, I'd recommend getting there early as there is limited parking.

Where would you park?
 annieman 14 Apr 2014

Keswick!

The Newlands Horseshoe forms the Anniversary Waltz fell race on Saturday April 19th from Stair village hall.

Do that and go early to the pub!
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Done!

You can walk from the campsite up to Barf et al in the forest, get some very nice views of some of the more famous hills nearby.

Also give the Middle Ruddings pub round the corner a try, looks a bit too nice for campers but is cracking. Takes dogs, local ales only (changing often) and also had at least 3 proper ciders on last time if thats your thing.
 GrahamD 15 Apr 2014

If you haven't already got it it, I find the BMC map perfect for walking route planning as the relief of the land is immediately obvious from the shading and you can often find interesting variations not on the standard circuits.
In reply to Pepper:

> You can walk from the campsite up to Barf et al in the forest, get some very nice views of some of the more famous hills nearby.

> Also give the Middle Ruddings pub round the corner a try, looks a bit too nice for campers but is cracking. Takes dogs, local ales only (changing often) and also had at least 3 proper ciders on last time if thats your thing.

Good shout, ate there the last time I stayed at Lanefoot and I am booked in for this Saturday night for all the reasons you specified. Close, good ales, fantastic welcome last time and happy with the pooch. Food was OK but the hospitality and lovely beers made up for any lack in Michelin Star
In reply to GrahamD:

> If you haven't already got it it, I find the BMC map perfect for walking route planning as the relief of the land is immediately obvious from the shading and you can often find interesting variations not on the standard circuits.

I havent seen this, tell me more.

GrahamD 15 Apr 2014

http://www.bmcshop.co.uk/index.php?cPath=278_507

Or in most walking shops. They are also waterproof (printed on polythene, not laminated, so they are not bulky)
In reply to GrahamD:

And it is effectively the lakes on one map!

Newlands round walked this weekend in what can only be described as perfect spring conditions. Ive even caught the sun. What a great walk, spectacular views and amazing weather.

Im running out of horseshoes though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...