UKC

Flying with gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NottsRich 14 Apr 2014
Has anyone tried flying with climbing kit in hand luggage, but minus slings, ropes, krabs etc? I'm thinking of a load of loose nuts, and cams without any krabs. Airline and security rules ban krabs and ropes etc, but I wondered if anyone had any experience flying with stripped down gear to save on hold luggage weight. To Australia if that makes a difference. Asking on here before I try to explain a nut to a security person over the phone. Any advice welcomed, even though I expect it'll be a no! Thanks.
 jkarran 14 Apr 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

Good chance you'll lose your kit at security. There's no arguing with them, they won't justify themselves, no is no whatever you've been told previously and at that point you've very limited options. Better to take boots and heavy clothes on-board especially if they're worn to keep bag bulk down.

jk
Andrew000 15 Apr 2014
In reply to jkarran:

Bloody good question! Absolute pain that I cannot find anywhere an international airline ruling on this one and have given up trying. Have just come back from spain with some doubled up nuts (cos I could afford to lose spares) karabiners and slings and a short length of ditch rope all in hand luggage as a test. The bloke on the scanner looked at them for ages but all went thro. Have had a headtorch in hand luggage before with no problem. Its ridiculous cos as you say hand luggage is a significant part of the weight allowance on this route particularly. Needs to be defined.
In reply to Andrew000:
I once asked a security chap at Gatwick as an FYI question. His response was that so long as there are no sharp and pointy or incapacitating things it should be ok.

But that will vary between countries and airlines... so it really is a gamble.
Post edited at 08:55
 Fraser 15 Apr 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

This questions seems to get asked on here on a weekly basis. The answer is always the same - feel free to risk it if you can afford to lose it, if not, stick it in the checked baggage.
 dereke12000 15 Apr 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

I've recently returned from Spain with only hand luggage, consisting of nothing but climbing kit: helmet, harness, slings, carabiners, belay device, prusiks, head torch (my mates took the rope / QDs in hold luggage). Was stopped for 5 mins at Malaga while they x-rayed it and asked me stuff in Spanish. Wasn't sure they'd let me on, till finally 'escalante??'. Yes, I said, and they smiled.

Moral - I think I was just lucky
 Neil Williams 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Andrew000:

"Its ridiculous cos as you say hand luggage is a significant part of the weight allowance on this route particularly."

Put other stuff in your hand luggage then

"Needs to be defined."

The problem is that if airport security is strictly defined, those wishing to can read up on it and work out what they can get through on a technicality. So effective security (yes, I know it often isn't) needs a level of discretion.

Neil
 ByEek 15 Apr 2014
In reply to mh554:

> I once asked a security chap at Gatwick as an FYI question. His response was that so long as there are no sharp and pointy or incapacitating things it should be ok.

I think that is the rub. It should be ok, but if you get an Umbridge, you are screwed. I second taking clothes / boots / sleeping bags / tents (less poles and pegs) in hand luggage and checking your gear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...