UKC

Expensive Download - Had to Laugh...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 15 Apr 2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2603792/Neil-Diamond-fan-downloaded...

...especially when I realised she was in my class at school, and even more so when I scrolled down to read the comments.

"43, yeah right!"
 Skyfall 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

I heard an interiew with her where it was pretty clear she had no defence other than stupidity. She even said she knew there were issues with this sort of thing but just didn't think it might apply to her. I don't have a lot of sympathy really and am surprised she got off most of it.
OP Yanis Nayu 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

I was surprised to see she was a maths teacher. You wouldn't have guessed that as her future profession when we were at school.
 wilkie14c 15 Apr 2014

Stupid bitch. I've no sympathy for anybody that likes Neil diamond
 JoshOvki 15 Apr 2014

She must have used way more than the 326mb for album, otherwise it would be over 8 quid a MEG!
In reply to JoshOvki:

Yeah, do the maths...
 Skyfall 15 Apr 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Stupid bitch. I've no sympathy for anybody that likes Neil diamond

Agree with the latter but slightly surprised at the casual misogyny of the former...
 Duncan Bourne 15 Apr 2014

This is why I never use my phone when abroad
 Mikkel 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

and why i am glad T-mobile makes you buy data in packages when abroad so you know exactly how much you are using.
 CurlyStevo 15 Apr 2014

In europe most companies will let you do data for 3 pounds per day now, mine is up to 9gb a month!

Me neither.
 Blue Straggler 15 Apr 2014

I read something about 8 years ago about a couple who decided to watch an old classic episode of Friends (maybe the finale) on their phone while on holiday in the Middle East. £3000+. Waived when it got into the press.

I think these tales are staged by phone companies to make them look caring...

"There is no way this huge bill relates to the actual cost to Orange"

She's right, though... Roaming is a rip-off.
 johncook 16 Apr 2014

The education of our kids is in the hands of people like this?
Why was she let off with most of the charge? Because she thought it excessive? Oh! I think my council tax bill is excessive, will you let me off with most of it? My electricity bill is too high, will you let me off with most of it?
She knew that it would be very expensive, the costs have been discussed in the press ad nauseum. She should have to pay.
If people stopped using the expensive download system overseas the phone companies would eventually reduce their prices to an atractive level.
I have no sympathy for her or anyone else who gets a massive bill, they used the service knowing the costs and should have to pay!
 Oujmik 16 Apr 2014

Soon roaming charges will be no more (in the EU at least).

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/mar/16/legislation-abolish-roaming-ch...

I work for a Telco and personally I think this is a good thing as the industry stands to benefit from customers being able get on with actually using the services we offer and not live in fear of unexpected bills. Having said that, it's undeniable that roaming generates revenue and the shareholders will expect to see that revenue recouped somewhere.
 ByEek 16 Apr 2014

> This is why I never use my phone when abroad

Agreed. But how rubbish that this is the default fall back for most people these days. I believe they are looking to abolish roaming charges certainly around Europe and possibly further afield very soon - and about time too!
 Robert Durran 16 Apr 2014
In reply to johncook:

> The education of our kids is in the hands of people like this?

What's the problem? I think it's a very understandable mistake. Who reads all the small print anyway? Just the sort of thing I might do if I was actually competent enough with technology to download anything to my phone in the first place (I'm a maths teacher too).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...