UKC

MTB - where can you 'mountain' bike in N.Wales?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 15 Apr 2014
I know there are lots of trails that are good e.g. marin, penmachno, and I know you are allowed up snowdon (restrictions apply), theres also the track up to Drum (yawn).
But which if any mountains are you actually allowed to 'mountain bike' on?
 cripper 16 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:

most of them i think. if your looking for a good mountain to bike i'd recommend doing moel shabod, start in capel curig and go over the bridge at pont cyfnag (sp?) then along and up the back of MS (some walking/scrambling with the bike required on the last bit of the ascent), then bike back down the path from the summit to plas y brenin.
OP The Potato 16 Apr 2014
In reply to cripper:

really? sounds good and ive walked the path, im surprised there isnt a restriction on the path as most 'footpaths' are non cycle.
Ill look in to that one

I await further responses!
 Welsh Kate 16 Apr 2014
In reply to cripper:
Moel Siabod is designated 'access land', but there are no public rights of way on it, which limits the access to only people on foot.

Useful information here:
https://www.gov.uk/right-of-way-open-access-land/open-access-land
Post edited at 09:54
 Bob 16 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:
Look on a map for bridleways. There's a bridleway marked going to the summit of Moel Hebog but the line on the map isn't where you go on the ground - it goes over a 300ft cliff for starters!

Legally there aren't many summits that you can bike to, most of the bridleways take passes - makes sense as that'd be where the old byways would go rather than over the tops. Moel Siabod definitely doesn't have a bridleway up it.

There's a loop from Capel Curig over to Llyn Cowlyd and back via Crafnant. Also from near Capel is Sarn Helen which heads up a rough track from Pont Cyfyng and goes over to Dolwyddelan, you then come back via the trails above Betws y Coed.
Post edited at 09:58
In reply to ow arm:

im a bit of a stickler for obeying rules and regs so will be sticking to designated paths.
Its a shame really as there are some really good routes possible such as on the Carneddau, easily accessible on bike and epic descents with little or no risk of damaging the landscape, but there we go.
In reply to cripper:

its pont cyfyng (narrow or restrictive)
 sleavesley 16 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Clywdian range mtb routes http://ridenorthwales.co.uk
In reply to sleavesley:

meh, the clwyds are close to where i live, they are only hills
 zukator 17 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Cader Idris has a bridleway on it (The Pony Track).
 Kimono 17 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:

what restrictions exactly?
I have heard of people biking up the Llanberis and down the Rangers. Is this actually 'legal'?

Planning on doing it this summer
 Bob 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Kimono:

During the summer months there's no biking between 0900 & 1700 on Snowden, this is to avoid potential incidents with walkers. The hours might be slightly different but there are notices around. This has been in place for many years.
 Dom Whillans 17 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> meh, the clwyds are close to where i live, they are only hills

but with great climbs and even better descents...

Get hold of Tom Hutton's MTB Wales book, it's got some great routes in it, including the Llyn Cowlyd and Cadair Idris ones already
OP The Potato 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Bob:
> (In reply to Kimono)
>
> During the summer months there's no biking between 0900 & 1700 on Snowden

I doubt Snowden would allow any cycling on him regardless of the time of day

Snowdon on the other hand....

Bob 17 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Bloomin' auto correct on iPad! (my excuse anyway)
 Got a job rob 17 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:

There are some good bridleways in the Berwyn range south of the Clywdian range. Looking at my map they top out at about 740 meters. the routes down WILL scare the pants off you! they are why I now have a full face helmet. Look out for motorbikes and 4x4s, be nice to the locals and spend some money in the economy. They are having a lot of trouble with off roaders. A marshal of a triathlon was pushed in the face when he tried to stop some using a footpath last year, it happened in day light in front of witnesses, but as the motorbike he was using was illegal and had no number plate he could not be id'ed. So its important to be friendly and nice to the locals to not get tared with he same brush.
OP The Potato 17 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Ill look in to the Berwyns as I drive past there occasionally thanks.

Ive got a few guide books for snowdonia and nw in general but as i alluded to, its a shame there arent more 'mountains' you can actually mtb on, most of them are trails or xc
altirando 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Dom Whillans:

And of course the Llandegla mtb centre nearby. But the Offa trail on the ridge is not open for bikes. Website Ride the Clwyds. I remember seeing many mtb signposts on the flanks of the hills though.
 Kimono 18 Apr 2014
In reply to Bob:

> During the summer months there's no biking between 0900 & 1700 on Snowden, this is to avoid potential incidents with walkers. The hours might be slightly different but there are notices around. This has been in place for many years.

what, exactly, are the summer months Bob?
 Kimono 18 Apr 2014
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

thanks!
looks like ill have to wait till october then
altirando 18 Apr 2014
In reply to Got a job rob:

Yeah, the trail from the Ceiriog valley over to the Dee valley via the Wayfarer memorial for instance, back over the bwlch Maen Gwynedd. (put your name in the log book). You can meet bikers here and they have trashed the area round Moel Fferna which is a shame as the ridge track is a panoramic ride/walk. Once saw a convoy of 4x4s over the memorial track, tailed by a tow truck. Obviously a commercial car trek for drivers pretending they are being adventurous! The Llantysilio ridge on the north side of the Dee valley is a switchback not so often used by bikers now.
 Tom Hutton 07 May 2014
In reply to ow arm:

@ Dom Whillans - thanks

@ OP - There aren't many summits you can ride legally - but would you want to?

But plenty of great trails scattered about - Colwyd is excellent! The quarries are fun and Sarn Helen between Dolwyddelan and Betws is pretty good too. There's some better stuff than Drum on the Conwy side of the Carneddau or if you fancy riding with a poor hard-up local guide for a day or half-day, you only have to ask

Have fun...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...