UKC

Snowholing for Dummies?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 16 Apr 2014
I saw a film with some snowholing in it the other day and thought, 'that looks mint, why have I not done that yet?' However, I am aware that doing it wrong could end up in collapse and burial, asphyxiation, or at least and cold and wet night shivering away.

Therefore I have multitude of questions such as: is it too late in the year/too warm to snowhole in Scotland? Is there anywhere in the west that is good for it and still has enough snow, or is it sacrilege to do it outside of the Cairngorms? Do I need a metal shovel or will the plastic 'winter emergency' one I keep in my boot be fine? Do I need a four season bag or will my three season, bivi bag and maybe my belay jacket be fine? How do I stop myself from asphyxiating either by by cooking or respiration, particularly if it starts blowing a gale and I need to close over the entrance(s)?

Any tips for a first time snow holing rookie (do I get my white wings after?) would be much appreciated.
 tehmarks 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Taurig:

Doesn't answer all your questions, but might be a good read if you haven't already stumbled upon it:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3525
 girlymonkey 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Taurig:

I'd say best go with someone who has done it before. You will want to go with someone else anyway, for speed of digging!
I'd be surprised if we get a cold enough freeze again this year to do it, but there are still a few good bits of snow clinging on if it does freeze again. Not at all sacriledge to do it outside of Gorms, but bear in mind that the Gorms are the only place to do the poo project, so take your own poo bags elsewhere!
Metal shovel definitely easiest, saw can be helpful too if hard snow.
Sleeping bag wise, I always take a 4 season and bivi bag, but I guess it depends on how warm you sleep and how well you construct your hole.
If it starts blowing a gale, don't close the entrance! Instead, get up regularly and clear the spindrift so you don't asphixiate!
I'd say get someone experienced to take you first time!!
 Billhook 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Taurig:

I've made, and slept in both igloos and snow holes on the North York Moors.

Don't use plastic. They don't cut through ice/very hard consolidated snow.
 nufkin 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Taurig:

Make a little stalactite of snow to stick to the roof - if it warms up enough to make it fall off it's probably time to abandon ship
OP Taurig 17 Apr 2014
Thanks for all the replies folks. The message I'm getting is it's not a great idea if it's too warm? Is this still the case with the old neve that we've got kicking round atm? Thought it might be compacted enough to be quite stable, but wasn't sure.

girlymonkey 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Taurig:

The old snow I have been on this week has been fairly wet snow. I can't speak for all areas though. I'd be looking for it to be below zero for 48 hours I reckon at the moment to bother trying. Wet snow sags and drips even if it doesnt collapse. You will be warming up the hole too with your warmth and stoves. If you want to enjoy snowholing, go in a real cold snap and avoid the damp drippiness!
ian stewart 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Taurig:

Save it for next year! At the moment it is too warm and likely to collapse, if it freezes enough to be safe you are looking at 4-5 hours of very hard digging!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...