UKC

Langdale boulders - where did they come from?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Kelly 17 Apr 2014
I know Langdale's rocks reasonably well but can't think of an outcrop with exactly the characteristics of the boulders so where did they come from?

john
 Skyfall 17 Apr 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

The nature of such boulders is that you don't know. They may well have been "dropped" by glaciers or moved by other erosive forces, so could be from anywhere.
OP John Kelly 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

i think you're right and that they ended up there after being moved by glaciers but they had to come from somewhere - where - is there a geologist in the house
 Skyfall 17 Apr 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

Well, I "was" one.

My recollection is that they seemed to be generally from the Borrowdale Volcanics group, so broadly the same as a lot of the rock in central Lakes. The rock varies quite significantly anyway ie. compare the texture of the rock on the top section of Pavey Ark to the rock at Shepherds - yet all the same group and general source (ie. volcanic).
OP John Kelly 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

once met a student on the campsite - he mapped the rocks of the band in exquisite detail, took about a month

the variety of rock types in the BVS is astonishing - the scramble up the south face of harrison stickle is probably the most diverse i have come across - reassuring pavey knobbles to scary slate like lake deposits
 GarethSL 18 Apr 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

We leave that sort of thing to the err geographers *ahemcoughsplutter* I mean err 'glaciologists'...
 GarethSL 18 Apr 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

Actually on a mildly interested, google search, good friday office procrastination spree...

You're all crimpin' chipped boulders!

"There are some tiny cup-markings, but also concentric circles, strange half-moon shapes, strong lines and very thin lines going off in different directions, at least 11 larger cups with many rings, triple grooves and what could be a chevron-like symbol. One cup marking, in particular, has at least 11 rings around it and lines going off from it in a strange sort of way and terminating suddenly further down the rock face. These prehistoric carvings are said to date from the Early Neolithic age upto 6,000 years ago. They could, in fact, represent a sort of Stone Age map of the Langdale fells"

http://thejournalofantiquities.com/category/copt-howe-glacial-erratic-bould...

Stick that in your elitist ethics pipe and smoke it.

oh god I've been stuck in this box too long!

ps. the elitist ethics pipe comment was directed at absolutely no one in particular.
OP John Kelly 19 Apr 2014
In reply to GrendeI:
yep chipping has been going on in Langdale since the neolithic - thank god they didn't have Nomics

incidentally think I've answered my own question, after yesterdays jaunt I think the boulders started at top of Gimmer - any other offers

john
Post edited at 08:34
Lusk 19 Apr 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

Higher up the valley?
OP John Kelly 19 Apr 2014
In reply to Lusk:

https://www.facebook.com/NTLakescampsites/posts/750978671590571

just about see the 'origin' in this pic
john
Post edited at 16:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...