UKC

RIP Gabriel Garcia Marquez

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LeeWood 18 Apr 2014
I've learned some respect for this man's work through minor encounters with poetry but never read his novels. Are they worth a read or would you say they are now dated?
 Bruce Hooker 18 Apr 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

100 Years of Solitude is, astonishing book, I haven't read any others (I think).
 john arran 18 Apr 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

100 Years... is certainly impressive but for some reason it didn't grab me in the way that many other modern classic novels have done, nor leave a lasting impression. Each to his own I suppose.
 James FR 18 Apr 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

I think astonishing is a good description of '100 years'. I needed to read it 2 or 3 times though.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'dated', or why this would be a reason not to read his novels...
 paul-1970 18 Apr 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

“The only regret I will have in dying is if it is not for love.”

'Love in the Time of Cholera', Gabriel Garci­a Marquez.

RIP.
 Dave Williams 18 Apr 2014
 Offwidth 18 Apr 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

There is a rumour that his spirit left the world on the last ever flying carpet. A wonderful author, go read his books if you never has.
 Clarence 18 Apr 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

He might be back if death is too lonely...
 seankenny 18 Apr 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

"One Hundred Years" is an absolute must-read. There's more life in one chapter, even one page, than in all of most books, it's so rich in imagery and passion. It's only 45 years old, so not even that dated...
OP LeeWood 18 Apr 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

Not sure why I used the term dated - just a way of fishing for appraisal.

We have a couple of his works in the house but in spanish sadly - so I'll just figure which to obtain with your notes thankyou all

OP LeeWood 18 Apr 2014
In reply to paul-1970:

Did you see the film ?
 paul-1970 18 Apr 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

Ha ha, no. I heard from quite a few people that they'd lost two hours of their lives that they weren't going to get back in watching the film version.
 MonkeyPuzzle 18 Apr 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

Read and re-read 100 Years and, try as I might, I can't fathom the magic trick that Marquez pulls off.

Time to read Love in the Time of Cholera, I think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...