UKC

Portland, Is it safe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Vinny77 18 Apr 2014
We're planning to visit Portland tomorrow for the first time since the winter storms. I would be grateful for some up to date information on the conditions of the climbs/areas. I'm assuming the cuttings is ok as its not right on the sea although we'd like to try and avoid this particular area if we can.
 johnl 18 Apr 2014
In reply to Vinny77:

Just stay away from Blacknor Far South and Battlship Main the rest is fine(mostly). Obviously use your judgement on anything you plan to climb.
Vinny77 18 Apr 2014
In reply to johnl:

Thank you for the update.
 sollyf 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Vinny77:

Hi there, did you manage to get to Portland? Hope you had a good time if so.

Do you have an update? I'm ideally looking to go Blacknor South and Beach - Sacred Angel and Fallen Slab.

Cheers
 steve taylor 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Vinny77:

Last week there were quite a few people climbing at Blacknor South and on the Fallen Slab, so I guess they're fine.

Battleship is also OK for routes right of Keyboard Wall - you just have to approach from the South (as for The Verandah). The path beneath the main crag has slipped in places, but reasonably experienced climbers (i.e. those capable of getting into crags with slighty tricky approaches) won't have any problems there.
 RockSteady 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Vinny77:

Over Easter went down to the Coastguard cliffs. The existing landslip that forms the descent route is still there, in much the same state as it was before the winter storms. Wouldn't fancy it after rain but was OK when dry (as long as you're happy scrabbling down a steep muddy slope with a knotted rope to hold onto).

We warmed up on Underage, which was actually in a cleaner and less muddy state than when I climbed it last summer - maybe the storms did some good down there.
 sollyf 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Vinny77:

Thanks for the info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...