UKC

off to barcelona,ideas for things to do

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mark s 18 Apr 2014
we are going to barca on sunday for 4 days.
what are the things we should do?
have a 3 year old with us
cheers
andymac 18 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

Tour of the Camp Nou
OP mark s 18 Apr 2014
In reply to andymac:

dont think the mrs would appreciate that lol.looks an amazing stadium
andymac 18 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s

> dont think the mrs would appreciate that lol.looks an amazing stadium

Pfffff.

Just tell her it was built by the Romans.

The coloured plastic seats being an example of just how advanced, and ahead if their time, Claudius and his gang were.
 Enty 18 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

Eat tapas in the Born district. Go to the Park Guell. Get up as early as you can and get to the Sargrada Familia before the crowds make the queueing time too long.
Avoid the Ramblas.
For the 3 year old go to the aquarium down near the port.

E
 FreshSlate 18 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

Go to the beach, go see all the Gaudi buildings(go Park Guell), Gothic quarter, go to Montserrat, Camp Nou wasn't a bad suggestion if you are a football fan. Then you have all the usual, museums restaurants etc. It's a great city to chill for 4 days in, have a good time.
 LeeWood 18 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

Keep a tight hold on handbags and wallets
 BnB 18 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

More than anything we enjoy the inner residential districts. Just cruising around the streets and sampling life as the locals live it. Try the Gracia area north of the town centre.

Camp Nou is in an industrial wasteland. Decent football team, mind... but don't bother unless you're a big fan.
 Duncan Bourne 18 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

visit Sagrada Familia obviously
visit the hospital up from the SF (not Gaudi but still an amazing complex)
 tlm 18 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

Have hot chocolate, which is thick, like custard, and churros, which are like long doughnuts. Go to some of the markets, the seafood is amazing. And another vote for the Sagrada Familia - it is a really must do thing. Pay the extra to go up the towers in there. It is worth it. I've been up several times and it is excellent every time.
 Kimono 19 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

the best chicken and chips ever in Pollo Rico in hospital (off the Ramblas)
Oh, and a bottle of Sangre de Toro to wash it down….

Oh, go on then, 2 bottles
 Al Evans 19 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Eat tapas in the Born district. Go to the Park Guell. Get up as early as you can and get to the Sargrada Familia before the crowds make the queueing time too long.

> Avoid the Ramblas.

Why do you say that, I'm not a shopper but a walk down Las Ramblas was fascinating.
In reply to Al Evans:

> Why do you say that, I'm not a shopper but a walk down Las Ramblas was fascinating.

It has a reputation for pickpockets, in my experience that's unjustified, but I wouldn't recommended eating or drinking there because you will pay the usual tourist trap inflated prices.
 Tony the Blade 19 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

Go see the bears at Sitges (you might want to leave the young un with friends)
 Enty 19 Apr 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> Why do you say that, I'm not a shopper but a walk down Las Ramblas was fascinating.

Well, might be just me, but Barcelona is one of may favourite cities in the world. I thought the Ramblas were tacky, scruffy and the bars were crap compared to stuff just 200m walk down any side street. And I'm not into rip-off card games and street stuff like that.

E
 James Malloch 19 Apr 2014
Just below the Olympic village, there are some big fountains which have light shows on sometimes. Very impressive and worth finding out if they're on still.
 marsbar 19 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:
http://www.miesbcn.com/en/pavilion.html

Amazing little building. There is a fantasic fountain near as well.

I found the underground really straightforward to get around.

Sam_in_Leeds 19 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

There's a cable-car across the whole of the sea-front.

When I went (June 2003!) the views were amazing!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187497-d2328556-Reviews-Tel...
 marsbar 19 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

I found the areas around avenue diagonal less touristy and pleasant with little gardens park and cafes ( near diagonal metro and les court anglais the big department store) Lots of the locals will eat out late with little kids and go to the parks when it is cooler.
 Ian Parsons 19 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

Can't remember what it's called, but the old fort overlooking the south side of the harbour was full of historical interest and pretty cheap to visit (2001). Public transport seemed to get you just about anywhere in the city, and a hire car was something of a liability; despite having the smallest Smart Car I managed to pick up two parking tickets and then have it impounded all in the space of three days - whereafter I took it back a day early simply to get rid of the thing! I suppose it depends on whether or not your chosen accomodation has off-street parking provided; on-street can be a problem.
 Ian Parsons 19 Apr 2014
...your chosen accomodation has off-street parking...

Hmmm. Just checked the consonant cartridge level on my computer; empty, as expected, save for one lower-case "m" lurking unused at the bottom!
 Martin W 19 Apr 2014
In reply to mountain.martin:

> It has a reputation for pickpockets, in my experience that's unjustified

I was in a taxi going up Las Ramblas once. We stopped at a pedestrian light and all of a sudden our driver started sounding his horn at the car in front. The light was still red so we wondered why - until we realised that the car in front was a hire car, and someone had just opened their boot, lifted out two suitcases and disappeared in to the crowd.

In a cafe just off Las Ramblas we saw a young woman sitting at an outside table have her camera snatched from the table as she was sitting there. She shouted at the thief as he was making off with it and he just shrugged and handed it back. The thieves there are pretty brazen: they don't really care if they are caught.

I've seen more street crime in Barcelona than another other European city I've been to (and I'd include Cairo in that, even though it's in Africa and full of shysters). I agree with LeeWood: one of the best things to do in Barcelona is to keep your hand on your wallet all the time. Google "barcelona street crime" for more umpteen more horror stories, and advice on how to avoid it happening to you.

Apart from that minor level of inconvenience: Park Güell and the Joan Miró Foundation are both worth a visit.
 FreshSlate 19 Apr 2014
In reply to Martin W:
Some guy tried to run off with my girlfriend's bag whilst we were playing a bat and ball game on the beach, luckily a local girl spotted him whilst we were oblivious and started going nuts at him and retrieved the bag, it happened and was over before we clocked on what was going on. We were a lot more careful after that.

As Martin said, they aren't even bothered if they get caught. Watch out for the guys selling cans of beer on the beach, opportunists, but pickpockets could be anywhere. Don't look too much like a tourist probably helps (but it sucks wearing a scarf/coat when it's 20+ degrees outside).
Post edited at 23:20
In reply to Martin W:

I read some of the stories about Barcelona street crime before I went for the first time and it almost put me off going, but after two visits and 6 days of wandering all around the city I haven't experienced or seen any crime.

I'm not sure if Barcelona is particularly bad, maybe it is, but try googling "any big tourist city" street crime and I'm sure you will find lots of horror stories.

Sensible precautions and awareness are obviously a good idea but just get out there and enjoy it, it is a great city.
 FreshSlate 20 Apr 2014
In reply to mountain.martin:
Six whole days and you didn't personally see any crime! Barcelona is known as the pickpocket capital for good reason.

Pop to the local policestation in the afternoon if you want to see a queue of tourists filling out reports.

Other than that it's great. The locals aren't necessarily the criminals, lots come from other areas. Just keep an eye on your stuff and have a good time.
Post edited at 01:06
 tlm 20 Apr 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Six whole days and you didn't personally see any crime! Barcelona is known as the pickpocket capital for good reason.

I've been there loads of times and never seen any crime, although I have heard plenty of second hand stories... Mind you, I don't flash stealable stuff around, keep my bag at the front of me, zipped up with my hands on it, and don't do things like put cameras or phones on tables, and tend to go to the less touristy areas.... I do the same in any major city.

Second the point about not bothering with a hire car - not worth it unless you are actually leaving the city. It's easy to get the train from the airport into the centre and then use buses, walk, taxis, underground - all very straight forward and cheap.

The ramblas - touristy, tacky, street artists, tat for sale. I wouldn't bother if I had limited time, but it is one of those things that is worth doing once, so that you can gasp in amazement at how tacky it is before heading elsewhere to eat and drink....
 Fobbit169 20 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

Hey,

I got back from Barcelona yesterday.
It was my third visit. I would recommend you just keep a good eye on where you put your stuff. Keep important stuff in secure pockets. If you can leave everything you don't need to carry in the hotel i.e. credit cards, driving license etc etc. Keep some cash separate from your wallet in a front pocket so you can afford transport back to your hotel if you do get seen off. The thieves out there are only interested in easy targets and won't bother with you if your careful.

The first time I went my friend got robbed three times in about 5 minutes. On the escalator leaving the metro he had his wallet lift from his back pocket while someone caused a distraction ahead. At the station reporting his missing wallet to the police he had his bag snatched from the floor next to him. We then got back on the metro and a kid stole his camera. Looking back it was the funniest 5 minutes of the trip.

On the what to do side.
Museu Nacional d'art de Catalunya is interesting but the modern art exhit is closed.
Casa Mila is completely covered in scaffolding.
Food is probably the best thing about Barcelona. The is a restaurant called La Tasqueta De Blai which is just West of La Rambla (if you search on Tripadvisor i'm sure it will come up) it's very cheap and very very good.
 neilh 20 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

Just been for 5 days with my family - 14 year old and 17 year old girl. Prebook the Sagrada and go up one of the towers. The crowds are unbelievable and if you have prebooked you just stroll in.

Park Guell, you now need tickets ( its free as they are controlling access to the best areas to reduce erosion etc.

The market just off Ramblas is superb. go and have breakfast in one of the cafes around the market.

We also moved to Stiges after a few nights, an interesting place.

Our hotel had a rooftop pool and bar in Barcelona. Well worth it.

neilh 20 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

Oh and the pick pockets are very good.We avoided carrying credit cards and hung onto everything all the time.
 Liam Brown 20 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

http://www.montanagallerybarcelona.com/

Little graffiti gallery over by the Arc de Triomph. I really liked the exhibition they have on at the moment. Dead small - will only take a little while. Cafe next door nice. Chocolate Museum up the road.
 steve taylor 20 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

The open-top coach tour was good, if pricey. Take it on the first day and see what looks good to visit for the next few days.

Park Guell was brilliant, Las Ramblas was fine as a couple, but I wouldn't want to go there with kids as you'd be worrying about losing them in the crowds rather than enjoying it yourself. The streets around Las Ramblas were very interesting with some outstanding restaurants.

Montserrat is beautiful (or it was when I last went 20+ years back), and only an hour or so from the city.

The metro works very well for getting around - get a pre-paid ticket before you travel and save loads.

It was a bit sketchy last time as my wife decided she wanted to retire there one day. Fortunately a summer holiday to Provence performed the perfect reset!

OP mark s 20 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

thanks for all the tips.we are there now.been here since early afternoon.we are very near palau de musica,impressive building.walked down ramblas.was a heavy police presence.did see police chatting to one lad with a wallet in their hands.
the amount of seriously good looking women id astounding lol.
we are been very careful about all personal belongings.larger 30p a can so my diet wont consist of much more.
there are some impressive buildings.but the streets all look the same apart from the world class buildings.the cemetery on the outskirts looked amazing.
cheers guys
 FreshSlate 20 Apr 2014
In reply to tlm:

> I've been there loads of times and never seen any crime, although I have heard plenty of second hand stories... Mind you, I don't flash stealable stuff around, keep my bag at the front of me, zipped up with my hands on it, and don't do things like put cameras or phones on tables, and tend to go to the less touristy areas.... I do the same in any major city.

> Second the point about not bothering with a hire car - not worth it unless you are actually leaving the city. It's easy to get the train from the airport into the centre and then use buses, walk, taxis, underground - all very straight forward and cheap.

Agree with you on the car. Pointless.

Basically all of that is good advice in Barcelona. It might be good advice in London too, but you're still a lot more likely to get ripped off in Barcelona. Taking care of yourself still means that there's pickpockets about and doesn't stop you seeing it, especially if you are switched on to it. Mark in one day has already witnessed some despite most likely heeding all of our advice and keeping an eye on all his possessions.
 Offwidth 20 Apr 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

You can't get a 3 course meal and half a bottle of wine for just over ten eurons in London like you can in some of the small backstreet places in the old town near the cathedral and only 5 mins from the beach as well. Best cheap food I've eaten in Europe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...