UKC

first vs samarkand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Quite proud of myself.Great day of climbing at Anglezark.
In reply to cheek to the rock: My first VS lead too, many years ago. Good climb.

T.

Jamie B 19 Apr 2014
In reply to cheek to the rock:

A tough lead for your first VS - well done.
 Ann S 19 Apr 2014

Very well done. I tried to lead it years ago and couldn't get more than 8 feet off the ground.
 Mark Collins 19 Apr 2014
You should be proud, tough route. Always an extremely satisfying lead in my view, really makes you work for it.

Some others you might want to try:
Crooked Crack at Wilton 3 and the corner to the left of it, girls name but can't remember what.
Post edited at 10:08
 wilkie14c 19 Apr 2014

Nice one, its an awkward b'sard!
Metamorphisis on the roadside is good at VS too, bit of a one move wonder but a good move non the less.
 wilkie14c 19 Apr 2014
In reply to Mark Collins:

Christine?

If at Wilton OP should def tick off 999 as well
 Mick Ward 19 Apr 2014

> Quite proud of myself.

Be proud of yourself. First VS? Holy cremola!

Fought my way up this, several years ago. It was green, polished (I know, I still can't work that one out), then damp, drizzling and finally deluging.

Having done hundreds of Extremes didn't help in the slightest. The biggest cam we had, shoved in to the hilt, did help massively to get my pounding heartbeat down. We stood on top like a pair of drowned rats, giggling manically.

Oddly enough, I had the distinct feeling it wouldn't have been that much easier in the dry.

First VS - what a one to do! You always remember your first VS. And what a one to remember.

Mick
 The Lemming 19 Apr 2014

I have seen many E2 and above climbers spat out on that route. I've even seen people lead Golden Tower and then try Samarkand, and not getting more than 2ft off the ground.

Its the toughest VS, in the world.
 Ann S 19 Apr 2014

> Crooked Crack at Wilton 3 and the corner to the left of it, girls name but can't remember what.

Corner route is called Kay- I must lead that this year.

Mark you must have a third eye lol,my second clean vs today was crooked crack.I had fell off the top of cherry bomb earlyier at edgerton.I also got up sivers clean 2nd for the first time

I have to credit my new found confidence to my new climbing partner cliff s,or the yoda of climbing as i call him.
In reply to wilkie14c:

999 was my first hs,and i cant seem to stop doing it.3 times up to now.
 Mick Ward 19 Apr 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> Its the toughest VS, in the world.

Totally agree. Thought I was having the offest of off days. Feel slightly better now!

Mick

The New NickB 19 Apr 2014

I enjoyed Samarkand immensely, dirty, thrutchy, awkward, generally great fun. I think it is one of those routes that suits a certain type of climber.
 dti 19 Apr 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

It was my first vs too (my 3rd ever lead) and I have since come to the conclusion that it definitely suits a certain climber (ie not me). I have never been on a vs that comes close in terms of difficulty since and I would argue many easier hvs graded climbs. But it could be because it came early in my climbing career. Perhaps I should head back...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...