UKC

What To Do If Your Alpine Partner Pulls Out?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnBson 19 Apr 2014

My climbing partner has just pulled out of a trip to the Chamonix area for a month. It's great news as you can imagine as I totally haven't spent enough money to bail out RBS on kit, nor have I been looking forward to this as a welcome break after slaving away in my last year at Uni.

I have no previous alpine experience, just rock climbing, limited Scottish winter climbing and both summer and winter hill walking. I also have a good level of physical fitness, some military experience and I have read a huge amount about this.

We intended our trip to be a self taught adventure, progressing from F to AD climbs on some of Chamonix's finest routes, including Mont Blanc summit.

Has anyone got solutions to this? I am tempted to just go and try to pick up a partner, maybe solo something. Alternatively if you'd like to volunteer yourself please feel free. I may be able to provide transport, and possibly accommodation in a converted van.

Not interested in taking a guide as I have not got the money to burn.
Post edited at 19:04
 imkevinmc 19 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

You'll still have all the kit next year, so replan, gain some more experience and do it all next year with a new partner. Or the the same partner.
Life's like that.
 peebles boy 19 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

When are you actually heading to the Alps? The way you describe it, it sounds like you were leaving pretty soon?

If not, then, well, find another partner? If you're not heading out til summer that's plenty time to ask other friends who might be up for it, or find someone at your local wall, or someone off UKC, or join a climbing club and try to find someone, or do the month with a couple different partners if you can't get someone to commit to a month.

Just suggestions!
 JJL 19 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

You went to Uni at 15??
 Bruce Hooker 19 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

> What To Do If Your Alpine Partner Pulls Out?

Find another one of course! That's what ukc is for, but start now so you'll have time to climb together a bit before. I once found someone just off the cuff on ukc but we only met up on the way there. It was ok but I'm not sure he thought the same
altirando 20 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

As you apparently have not been to the alps before, just go out and do some high level walking and scrambling to get yourself accustomed to the different circumstances, scale, altitude, refuges etc. So many places, the Swiss Valais, where you could join a oneday group for instance on a 4000m peak, or the scrambly peaks round Annecy. You will enjoy MtBlanc all the more. Frankly, I always find it strange that some people's first visit to the alps is to climb the highest summit without even experience of moving together on a rope over snow let alone high altitude walking.
 LakesWinter 20 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

Look for another one, try on here for starters. Say when you're looking to go etc
 Happy Haggis 21 Apr 2014
In reply to LakesWinter:

Most UK mountaineering clubs also run summer meets in the Alps. People often pair up beforehand, but if you join and get to know people now, then there's more than enough time to find a partner, or just go along and see what happens - there will probably be people to climb with.

As you haven't got Alpine experience, you could look at a Conville course - these are cheaper subsidised courses for Alpine training.
 Maarten2 21 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

If this is your first time in the Alps: leave Chamonix for another time. The Alps are much bigger, and there's plenty else that is less serious, less high and less risky than Chamonix. For instance, Gran Paradiso is a great first 4000 m peak; Bergsee in Urner Alps (central Switserland - see Schweiz Plaisir) has granite that is as sound as any in Chamonix, but far less serious.
 blurty 21 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

Have you got the dosh for an UCPA course?

Bruce Hooker 21 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

Don't bother with a course, find a club or a partner... use the money saved on huts or beer
 Roberttaylor 21 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

Probably safer to use a condom, generally.
needvert 21 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnBson:
So you have a month off and want to go climbing, my suggestion is that there may be many other places in the world, if you have trouble finding partners for your current destination.
Post edited at 22:38
OP JohnBson 22 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

Thanks for the suggestions. Someone suggested Yosemite as there are always partners there. I was really trying for the alps as it furthers some other aspirations I want to realise next year. Ambitious I know.

Trip is in August, which would be plenty of time if I knew more climbers who were vaguely interested in snow.

The multiple partners idea gets my vote. Think I'm going with a mate and staying out there in the hope of picking up people. I'll have a van, which makes abducting them easier if persuasion fails.
 Paul Everett 22 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

There is a thread posted about the same time as yours by some called alpine..... looking for a partner
 Bruce Hooker 22 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

Get in a club in Britain, more chance of finding suitable partners if ukc fails.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...