UKC

cherry bomb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
My second vs attempt.I didnt feel comfy stood just under the roof of the overhang,so instead of putting the cam in the roof,i just made a run of it and went.As i tried to mantle over the edge my foot slipped of the right hand side of the corner and i slipped backwards of the edge.My last bit of gear was a meter under the overhang,fell about 3 meters backwards.Got back on,pulled myself together,got comfy in position,placed the cam and finished. what a buzz
 Ann S 19 Apr 2014
In reply to cheek to the rock:

I failed even to second cherry bomb many years ago. Thought it was a right bloody sandbag. My mate who came out of the womb able to lead VS had a massive struggle on it. We had gone to Egerton and spoke to someone who looked like a climber, asking him if he could recommend us a good climb. He suggested Cherry bomb and I remember noticing the weird little smile on his face as he left.

paul mitchell 19 Apr 2014

At least the gear is ok on Cherry Bomb.Why not just go to Wilton;at least you get better routes there along with the sandbag.
In reply to Ann S:

I didnt use the advice you gave me and scope out the finish first ann,Once again i got caught out by the slopie edge and a pyramid of scree in the corner.Gutted because i was so close,but glad of the experience.
In reply to paul mitchell:

Bagged croocked crack today at wilton 3
 The Norris 19 Apr 2014

I got my foot tangled round the rope going round the overhang on cherry bomb, made it a bit more spicey! Cracking route!
 Ann S 19 Apr 2014
No worries. I keep not taking my own advice either.

Check out Throsher in Wilton 2.
Post edited at 23:35
 wilkie14c 20 Apr 2014

Cherry bomb is one of those routes that need a certain state of mind, you're getting into VS territory and you're going find this. It needs a really bold swing knowing you are safe with your gear and safe with your mate and when that happens its easy. You're picking some tough routes for VS dude, respect! try Jean Jennie at Trowbarrow, safe as houses but you'll know you've lead VS
<seriously, get on it>
In reply to Ann S:

I like the photo of blackout in the lanc rock guide,but i will have a gander at it thanks.I haven't been in Wilton 2 yet.
 Ann S 20 Apr 2014

I will sound like a steam roller squashing people flat but I would advise caution with Blackout. It is a very good route but is perhaps best done with two half ropes and the knowledge of how to best protect leader and second across the traverse which is I think the crux. In comparison 999 is very straight forward.

Do get into Wilton 2 and check out the following. Kukri Crack, Flake Crack and Throsher which is a good fighting 4c crack with obviously very good pro.

In reply to Ann S:

yep that's a scary looking traverse,I might put 2 cams high up in the corner before i step round,can see loads of placements when you get to the ledge,single rope would be a drag&#55357;&#56842;
 Ann S 20 Apr 2014

Make sure you have a steady second. Good luck.
 Mark Collins 20 Apr 2014

Flowers at the base were enough to put me off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...