UKC

Guidebooks for the Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Fuller 21 Apr 2014
A friend recently asked what the best guidebook was for the Lake District and I said the FRCC guides. However, I couldn't think of another option...

How come Scotland and Wales are spoiled for choice with a full complement of complete guides and then plenty of independent select guides (two well-known ones for Wales and a few for Scotland) while the Lakes has - to my knowledge - just the FRCC guides and their select guide?
 Bob 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

There was/is a Constable selected climbs to the Lakes. I don't know if it's still in print, Needlesports don't list it.

Slightly (well very) less well known about was a series of three selected guides by Pete Whillance, Dave Armstrong and Steve Clegg. Sufficiently rare that I don't have a copy, also I think that only two of the three were ever printed.
 Colin Wells 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Although now long out of print, second hand copies of Stephen Reid and Steve Ashton's selected Lakes guide are available for mere pence:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Classic-Climbs-Lake-District/dp/185223055X

- still the most imaginative, inspirational and humorous guide to the best of Lakes climbing for mere mortals there is IMHO.
In reply to Mr Fuller:
It's because the FRCC guides are so brilliant so there's no market for any others!
Post edited at 12:03
OP Mr Fuller 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Stephen Reid:

Aha! That will do for me then as a decent explanation. I reckon there's market for another, but maybe places like Wales get more traffic and therefore more potential sales.
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Well, the FRCC guides are all produced by a team of local volunteers who really know their areas well. These folk get paid nothing for their work and the bulk of the money that is made goes into ensuring that less popular guides eg Gable & Pillar, Scafell & Wasdale etc can continue to be published. 10% of annual guidebook sales also goes to environmental work in the Lakes to mitigate to some extent the damage that climbers do. Any commercially produced guide would probably jeopardise this arrangement to some extent so I hope that, whether there is a market or not, another guide is not produced, especially as it would almost certainly rely virtually entirely on the FRCC guides for its information.
Removed User 21 Apr 2014

> It's because the FRCC guides are so brilliant so there's no market for any others!

I would totally agree.
 John Kelly 21 Apr 2014

> It's because the FRCC guides are so brilliant so there's no market for any others!

Absolutely
OP Mr Fuller 21 Apr 2014

Thanks, I wondered if that might be the case. I know some of the select guides are not well-received by all parties when they rival guides from not-for-profit organisations.
 GPN 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

> Aha! That will do for me then as a decent explanation. I reckon there's market for another, but maybe places like Wales get more traffic and therefore more potential sales.

There's a Lake District Rockfax guide in the pipeline I believe...
 Mark Eddy 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

The new Lakeland guidebooks are extremely good.

Easier to use than the CC guides for Snowdonia, and smaller, therefore more user-friendly than the big & bulky Rockfax guides (which are great for single pitch & sport routes, but too big to be carrying on a long multi-pitch).

But more than that, they are inspirational, the detail clearly being a labour of love.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...