UKC

flu like symptoms after climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kev74 21 Apr 2014
Hi just wandering if any one else has had this for the last month or so everytime i climb or run even a very short light session i come down with flu like symptons for the next few days.
Im not sure if its a coincidence but it started about the same time of the heavy smog cloud over london i feel my breathing was affected over those few days.
So if theres any docs out there or if anyones had the same thing i would be glad for some advice.

thanks
 CurlyStevo 21 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:
Go to the docs mate, seriously that doesn't sound right.

I'm normally pretty drained for a day after multi day trad trips but nothing like flu!
Post edited at 13:40
kev74 21 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:

Yes your probably right the doc is the way to go its complety diffrent feeling from being tired after a hard days climbing.

Thanks
 goatee 21 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:
I'm experiencing something similar. I had a bitch of a cold that lasted a month with a sinus infection thrown in. When I felt able I would go for a run but the cold would return with a vengeance afterwards. Even now I still feel a bit "off" after a workout. Id be interested to see if is a hangover from the virus.
 nniff 21 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:

Hay fever? London and the local area is awash with pollen from silver birch at the moment and the plane trees are notorious in London. That fine yellow dust on all the cars -0 that's the stuff.

Get yourself some anti-histamine. If your breathing's affected go to the doc, get some fexofenadine and an inhaler. I feel uttterly wretched without those at this time of year. Fortunately, the Epsom Downs and prevailing south westerlies keep the smog away from me so I only have to deal with the trees.

NB - this is a medically incompetent punter's observation. If you have a stroke tomorrow it's nothing to do with me - you should have sought proper medical advice.
 Trangia 21 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:

I've had exactly the same symptoms including a bout of conjunctivitis.

I put it down to hay fever which is particularly bad this year. Antihistamine tablets seem to have little effect this year.

This is something I get every year at about this time of year, but I've never known it so bad before.
 lost1977 21 Apr 2014
In reply to nniff:

I hate Plane trees it's one of the only things I don't miss from my days as a cycle messenger in London
 blackcat 21 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:I get this even after winter climbing,hayfever like symptoms but only last a couple of hours.worth seeing doc like some have advised.

StephenS 21 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:

Could be a stress reaction due to a build up of toxins from the smog. Running and climbing use fat dominantly for fuel, and toxins are stored in the fat cells.

So let's say you're exercising and your body is releasing fatty acids into the blood stream - its just an idea from a nutritionist's point of view.

You could try a nice liver detox, I ask clients to supplement with some milk thistle and provide a liver detox plan for them.

Hope that helps
kev74 21 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:

Ive never had hay fever before but i have been really stressed out so maybye it could be something to do with it.I got some probiotic tablets as someone told me it might help also will try the liver detox.
 nniff 21 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:

It's never too late to start an allergy.......
abseil 22 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:

+1, needs medical attention, hope you get better soon.
 GDes 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

> Running and climbing use fat dominantly for fuel, and toxins are stored in the fat cells.

There's all sorts of things wrong with that sentence. You'd have to be on an extremely long, low intensity climb in a state of extreme starvation to be burning fat whilst climbing. Toxins being stored in fat cells? That's an extremely wooly notion. Can you elaborate on exactly what "toxins" you are referring to? There's an awful ot of evidence that the idea of "detoxing" is fairly nonsense based. Your body does a good job of getting rid of unwanted substances, and doesn't just hang on to a little bit of it that can only be gotten rid of by drinking wheatgrass smoothies or whatever.

Careful what you read on the internet!

To the OP, go to the doctor.
 johncook 22 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:

Go to a doctor! A real one and be assertive.
Avoid the alternative remedy guys like the plague. Many of their 'cures' are placebo effect. Some are downright dangerous. Many are based on partial research or anecdote.
Eg. The homeopathic doctor in USA who's cure could get rid of headache within minutes. When analysed his cure had the equivalent of 8 paracetamol tablets per dose. Dangerous!
Vit C in excess causes kidney stones, which, from experience are one of the most painful things there is. Also the majority of vit C sold in the UK is made by BASF or one of two Chinese pharma companies, then 'recombined' be 'health food' and supplement producers
There may be some genuine cures eg. aspirin, originally made from the bark of willow trees. etc
In the USA and the EU (sorry!) there are plans now to test all 'alternative medicines' to the same standards as phamaceuticals. You will already have noticed that supplements have stopped advertising themselves as cures and started to say 'may help with/prevent' That way they can stop themselves being tested, possibly because they will fail.
For info, when I was suffering from ME went to a 'wholistic' 'doctor' backed by a national 'health food' outlet. Took his advice (I was desparate!) Selenium, sorts out ME was his recommendation. Bought and took the amount suggested, ended up with selenium poisoning, on top of ME. I was paid damages without a court case, but this involved a confidentiallity agreement, so I can't mention names unfortunately. (The money was useful as I was self employed at the time!)
Rant Over.
 Martin Davies 22 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:

I'd agree with everyone else - go and see your GP, it's what they're there for! Definitely take any advice on here with a pinch of salt

Hope you feel better soon! M
 wilkesley 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Martin Davies:

Very unlikely, but have been anywhere recently where you could have been bitten by a tick? Flu like symptoms are one of the signs of Lyme's disease.
kev74 22 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:

So the doc says its most likley stress related which is affecting the immune system which when i thought back to when it started made sense. It was some sort of a stress overload breakdown i just didnt connect it all up .
abseil 22 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:

> So the doc says its most likley stress related which is affecting the immune system which when i thought back to when it started made sense. It was some sort of a stress overload breakdown i just didnt connect it all up .

Thanks for posting what the doctor said, that's helpful.
Hope you get better soon.
kev74 22 Apr 2014
In reply to abseil:

Thanks
Simos 23 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:

Stress can do funny things but climbing probably makes things worse - I noticed that often, after some moderate bouldering sessions I feel unwell for a couple of days. It's like I am on the verge of coming down with a cold but symptoms go away usually by the 3rd day. I think strenuous climbing can make you feel a bit unwell while the body recovers, I usually feel a bit feverish too - it makes sense that the immune system is compromised a bit after strenuous activities.

Having said this, your symptoms sound a bit more severe and really odd you'd get them even after easy climbing...
 maxsmith 23 Apr 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

could be lymes or weils?
 Offwidth 23 Apr 2014
In reply to maxsmith:

I suspect Ebola. For goodness sake folks by far the most likely reason is hay fever and seeing the GP is good advice rather than asking Uniformed Krank Clinicians. Sadly things are so bad this year with pollen, if it is hay fever, the doc will likely only be able to reduce the symptoms.
 coreybennett 23 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:

after doing allot of phsyical exercise and training your immune system gets lower, but it's no excuse to not go see a doctor!
abseil 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> ...by far the most likely reason is hay fever and seeing the GP is good advice...

Errrr thanks but he said yesterday lunchtime that's he's already seen the doctor, and he helpfully gave us a report on what the doctor said. Just sayin like innit.
 StephenS 23 Apr 2014
In reply to GDes:
At lower intensities up to around 60% of V02 max your body will use fat primarily for fuel. Hence the idea behind the 'fat burning zone' that we see on cardio machines. Depending on how hard he is training and the carbohydrate content of his diet will determine the ratio of fat vs carb being used for fuel. As the intensity increases there is a shift towards using carbs that are stored in the muscle as glycogen.
Starvation has nothing to do with it and is complete nonsense, however the amount of carbs you've consumed in your diet will. If your carb intake is high then your blood glucose levels will be elevated providing a much quicker source of fuel for the body.

And it's not a wooly notion at all, it's scientific fact. Yes the body is very good and flushing out toxins, this is a big job of the liver. But it can only do so much. Anyone who may have spent a long period of time eating processed foods, smoking, travelling or working in big cities and drinking too much alcohol will accumulate a lot of toxins in the body and fat tissue.

In all animals, toxins in the atmosphere that enter the body through the gut, lungs and skin are often stored in the fat cells of the body. The storage of toxins in the fat tissue is simply a safety system to get them out of the blood stream.

I never mentioned anything about wheatgrass smoothies.

As for exactly what toxins, I don't have a chemistry degree so can't tell you.
Post edited at 11:52
XXXX 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

Anyone who says "scientific fact" is generally a charlatan.

StephenS 23 Apr 2014
In reply to kev74:

Or educated.

GDes 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

Can you show us one reliable source that demonstrates that "detoxing" does anything at all, and the concept of it is even valid...
 GDes 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

I understand that fat is an important fuel source, but from my understanding of the energy systems used in various forms of climbing, the average training session down the wall (which was what the OP was talking about) will be using mainly the ATP, anaerobic and aerobic respiration systems, not really fat burning. I may be wrong on that, but I'd imagine climbing is too high intensity to be able to use fat. I'm not sure heart rate is a reliable measurement to use due to the fact that climbing uses small muscles, so doesn't have anywhwere near the oxygen demand of other sports

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...