UKC

Starting out :)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sam.bending 21 Apr 2014
Hi everyone! Ok I have taken an interest to rock climbing upon climbing on climbing walls and generally be curious, I haven't got much or really any experience but I am just itching to get started but I need you guys to advise me on where I should begin! I have reserved a place on a bouldering course this Sunday at the local climbing club, thats as far as I have got any advice or even someone to talk to would be excellent!
Thanks a load
SAM
In reply to Sam.bending:

Sounds to me like you have done the right thing. Get out with the local climbing club and learn the ropes (pardon the pun).
In reply to Sam.bending:

Climb climb and climb some more. No better exercise for climbing other than climbing itself. Once you've learned the basics, the rest will follow. there's no better place to start climbing than with a group of people of similar abilities but I would also seek out people more experienced to learn. Watch other climbers but don't get disheartened that you can't do the things they do - it will come.
Above all, enjoy climbing - it's a lifestyle, not a sport! at least, that's what I tell my other half (non-climber)
needvert 21 Apr 2014
In reply to Sam.bending:

I watch(/ed) lots of YouTube. (Mikebarter is good, so is chris McNamara though not relevant unless you take up aid).

I think almost everything you can teach yourself, having another person around from time to time is good - to point out errors or things you never knew you needed to know.

Thus, I think learn all you can by yourself and then do it for the first time for real with a more experienced person.

(There's no reason to take up an experienced persons time teaching things like common knots when you can do that on the sofa with a phone app or a book.)

(Side note, by reading you become more aware of various regional biases in skills or attitudes.)
 Firestarter 21 Apr 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Can you tell my other half? She sure as s:*t won't listen to me!
In reply to Firestarter:

What's her mobile number? I'll text her.
 Firestarter 21 Apr 2014
In reply to needvert

> I think almost everything you can teach yourself, having another person around from time to time is good - to point out errors or things you never knew you needed to know.

> Thus, I think learn all you can by yourself and then do it for the first time for real with a more experienced person.

> (There's no reason to take up an experienced persons time teaching things like common knots when you can do that on the sofa with a phone app or a book.)

If you can drive, I bet you didn't learn like that and successfullly pass your test? I'll take it one step further - I think what you are suggesting is bordering on dangerous.

Firestarter 21 Apr 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

07500fuglyno69
needvert 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Firestarter:
To learn to drive, I sat down with a book and studied, then I did a written test with a rather high pass grade (>90%). Only after I already knew what was going on, how things worked, did I get in a car with a more experienced person and start driving. They didn't have to explain what a roundabout was or the rules of right of way, at times they'd correct mistakes - though none I recall were life threatening but had they been the experienced person would have intervened.

Contrast that to turning up at a crag with someone who doesn't know what a top rope is, or how to tie themselves in or how to thread their belay development device. If you can have all those things squared away before hand, your more experienced partner (perhaps I wasn't clear on this bit) will validate your skills as you go without having to teach much. They (should!) know your level of experience, so with that in mind will keep a close eye on everything you do.

You can get pretty far with some reading material and a tree in the backyard. How many folks over the years taught themselves basic (and quite advanced) rope skills in a tree?

Sure, you can make a bad job of teaching yourself. Just as many can make a bad job of teaching you. Accidents in North American Mountaneering is a good read, to make sure you are aware of the consequences.

My learning was a mix of ways. Teaching yourself only fits a specific sort of person.

Oddly enough the most needlessly dangerous situations I've been in have been sport climbing with more experienced people. I suppose they had been taught by someone else, as those methods wouldn't have made it past the first editor let alone to print.
Post edited at 00:49
 Firestarter 22 Apr 2014
In reply to needvert:

So you read a lot and prepared yourself. Put the key in the squiggly hole, turn it away from yourself and the thing in front of you will make some kind of grumbly noise - or get in the car and experience it? I understand what you are saying, but reading and experiencincing should be linked, and not as you suggest staged. I will quite happily revert to Libby Peter whilst at a crag to demonstrate the theory behind the reality. These two are inextricable. If you turn up, as you say, at a crag with someone who can't tie in or who doesn't know what a top rope is you have in my experience two choices - show them or don't deal with them. I've never told them to go away and read about it.

As the OP was asking for somewhere to experience this wonderful world of climbing, I would suggest the wall or a crag and possibly then the library. Baby steps.
Sam.bending 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Sam.bending:

Thanks guys! I'm going to experience indoor climbing with the club and see where that takes me!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...