UKC

Climbing in Laos?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mowglee 22 Apr 2014
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the climbing in Laos? We have 2 months to kill in Thailand, and trying to work out if the sport climbing in Laos is going to be worth the trip. We may well visit Vientiene anyway, but it sounds like the routes around Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang might be aimed at beginners paying for courses - and that our time might be better spent around Ao Lang and Crazy Horse. Are the routes any good in the 6a-7a range?

Also if anyone could suggest whether we should fly Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai, or get the 2 day boat up the Mekong that'd be helpful. Sounds like 2 days on a boat might get dull and I'd rather be climbing, but happy to be convinced otherwise!

We are heading to Bangkok in a week, so should hit the climbing areas right at the hot season

Thanks in advance,
 rickeden 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Mowglee:

If the rains have started in Laos its hard to climb because the routes are very wet. Crazy Horse is an amazing crag if you are climbing up to 7b. There is also climbing around the bkk area with 4 different sport crags. email if you want more info: rjeden@yahoo.co.uk
I'm living in Bangkok
In reply to Mowglee:

Green climbers near Thakhek has become one of the most developed climbing areas in Loas and is worth a visit if you have 2 months. It closes however during the rainy season (30th may onwards).

http://greenclimbershome.com/

I wouldn't bother with the climbing at Vang Vien.

I've done the 2 day boat trip from Luang Prabang 'up' the Mekong to Huay Xai. Its pretty slow and the boats are not very comfy. Going down the other might be faster though. Also, this was quite a few years ago so things might have improved.
 nakedave 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Mowglee:

I'm at crazy horse now, and for 6a-7b its perfect, so many quality routes. I'm gonna be here another month or so, get in touch when your here if you like.
Thakek in Laos sounds great also but I think it is even hotter than here.

Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...