UKC

yet another van question!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BedRock 22 Apr 2014
I'm about to change jobs etc which will have a v short commute, which I'll walk/cycle most days. My other half has a car and the plan is to replace my car with a small van for climbing trips etc and it will also be my main vehicle for the odd drive to work/shops etc.
We're looking at the Hyundai iLoad, but as theyre quite new cost in region of 7-10000 for one thats done under 100,000 miles. It would be a bit of a stretch on our budget, but would pay a bit more for the slightly lower mileage. The question is, is it worth paying that much for the 'base' van? Or is it worth paying less for the van and having more to spend for the conversion?
 rob k 24 Apr 2014
In reply to BedRock:
I can only say that I was faced with pretty much the same scenario as yourself before New Year...Car became uneconmical to repair, not required for daily commute and a van/conversion discussed as the way forward for some time.

Looked at 2nd hand Transporter (too pricey 'cause of the whole VDUB thing), Transit..Vivaro/Trafic..Sprinter.

Also looked at Converted Vans.

Whatever you do - invest in the HPI checker before viewing - the number vans looking like a good deal that had been clocked was "eye opening" - and these were on trade forecourts.

Do not believe anything anyone trying to sell you a van tells you - unless there is evidence to validate their story. Sounds harsh? Well, I had 2 dealers tell me " don't have log books cause they're in from another dealer"..gues what?...HPI showed them to either have left the country/ been on foreign plates or had dodgy mileages..one had 10k on th eclock and was 5 years old...really? and no logbook...didn't walk, more like I ran away from that

So far not too good. All good fun though. Just take your time and do your homework / put your business head on - and if you don't have that - put your climbing head on...would you climb with this person on their say so, how about multi pitch or alpine moving together...no, nor would i....

So, in the end we paid a lot more for the base vehicle than planned. But got a 'nearly new' van with FSH and low mileage/warranty. Because we will use it for the next 10 years if it lasts...if we bought cheap(er) we think we would end up selling it to get a new one / get nothing for it and have to convert another van.

We plan to do a good job of converting this one, over time, do as much as possible ourselves and enjoy the reliablity of the newer van. We would be going on long trips to Alps as well as W/Ends in UK.

For us, having spent years in tents in 4 seasons, the van is a luxury (when insulated) in itself ...so the conversion part can take it's time.

Of course, the great thing about the whole van/conversion thing is that is is what you want that is important - so please don't think I am saying what is right...except maybe about the HPI/Trust thing....this just what we chose to do.

Downsides...we don't have the money to convert the thing properly just yet..so I am looking at some makeshift DIY options...all good fun( so i am told)...

Upsides..we have a great van...and we have no regrets at all...

Best of Luck, with whatever you choose, and get out and enjoy it!
Post edited at 12:04

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...