UKC

The hardest trad limestone slab routes in the UK?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Pylon King 22 Apr 2014

What/where are the hardest trad limestone slab routes in the UK?
In reply to The Pylon King:

Ha - good question. They're not very hard, anyway - our stuff just isn't compact enough.

jcm
 johncook 22 Apr 2014

Aldery Cliff. Steepish, compact and fun if a little short. (Apart from the massive walk in!)
 Bulls Crack 22 Apr 2014

I'll kick off with this: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=20448
 Ally Smith 22 Apr 2014

Spot the Ball, Cove Quarry, E8 6c, Deverrrn

http://www.javu.co.uk/Climbing/NewRoutes/SouthDevon/Esoterica.shtml
In reply to Ally Smith:

Sadly common theme emerging here!

jcm
 johang 22 Apr 2014

Asylum Wall at Trowbarrow? E5 to E7...
 Bulls Crack 22 Apr 2014
In reply to johang:
> (In reply to The Pylon King)
>
> Asylum Wall at Trowbarrow? E5 to E7...

I always thought it a wall!
 johang 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

A Wall?
In reply to Ally Smith:

yes that is certainly hard!
 BenTiffin 22 Apr 2014

Barland quarry on gower.
 Mick Ward 22 Apr 2014
In reply to johang:

A wall is what a slab often feels like when you're actually on it. Odd, that.

Mick
 Bulls Crack 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

The difference between mostly on your feet and mostly on your fingers?
 Graham Hoey 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

A Simon Young route - top man - bound to be desperate. Last thing I knew he'd moved away from the climbing wall at the farm. I wonder what he's up to now?
A real craftsman and artist. His earlier wooden climbing wall constructions at Bude were beautiful. The one in the silo looked straight from an H G Wells novel.
 Al Evans 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Graham Hoey:

Some of the slab climbs at sadly out of bound Staden are hard slab climbs really, From Welcome to Hard Times, Bicycle Repairman through to Paraplege and Wipe Out(tough at E3). At Aldery Cliff only Chance in a Marillion is a tough slab climb.
 Iain Peters 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

To which I would add Terminal Trajectory at Warton Main, Al. Perhaps not the hardest limestone slab but definitely death on a stick I felt and well named.

kingholmesy 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Graham Hoey:

> Simon Young - I wonder what he's up to now?

Building / running a new wall near St Neot, Liskeard called Magic Wood:

http://www.magicwoodclimbing.co.uk/
 johang 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

> A wall is what a slab often feels like when you're actually on it. Odd, that.

> Mick

Cheers for the explanation. I felt it was more of a slab, when the footholds stayed put, but having fluffed the onsight at the bolt I guess my room to comment is somewhat reduced......
 Graham Hoey 23 Apr 2014
In reply to kingholmesy:

Thanks,
looks typical Simon joinery!
 Mark Lloyd 23 Apr 2014
Maybe not the hardest but probably the best are at long quarry point eg Renegade, black ice and if you include sport shadow beast is one of the hardest
 John Mcshea 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Mark Lloyd:
New route by John Wilson at Long quarry point 'Mustard Custard' some say 7c+ some say 7c, much more sustained and technical than Shadow beast which centres on one hard move.
(By new I mean about four years old....)
Post edited at 07:13
 henwardian 26 Apr 2014

Daddy cool, E8 6c, at Carreg Y Barcud, North Pembroke has to be up there I would think. There is a direct finish waiting to be done too according to the guide... maybe that would be an E9 slab?
 Alun 26 Apr 2014
In reply to henwardian:

> Daddy cool, E8 6c, at Carreg Y Barcud, North Pembroke

...is sandstone, I'm afraid, and therefore out!
 remus Global Crag Moderator 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Alun:

It's also a total walk in the park (pure difficulty wise that is, obviously quite dangerous!) I flashed to past the peg on TR and a mate flashed the whole thing on TR, and we're both a pair of punters. One of the great mysteries of the british grading system that it gets the same grade as Purgatory (Adam Watson's newish thing in northumberland.)
 Alun 26 Apr 2014
In reply to remus:

> One of the great mysteries of the british grading system that it gets the same grade as Purgatory (Adam Watson's newish thing in northumberland.)

It doesn't. Neither route is graded E8. One is graded E8 6c, the other E8 7b. Both are (should be) graded for an onsight attempt.

Had you said "one the great mysteries of the british climbing system is that is even experienced and strong young climbers appear to misunderstand it occasionally", then I might have agreed with you

Incidentally, I seem to recall being present at the Barcud when Dave Pickford made the first ascent. He seemed rather relieved to clip the peg when he reached it.

Anyway, it's still sandstone, and so out of bounds for this thread!

FWIW, and despite being a limestone fan, I can't think of any really hard uk limestone slabs. As somebody said further up, Britain doesn't seem to have the right geology.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Alun:

Technicalities. To quote wikipedia (the source of all truth...)

"The adjectival grade attempts to assess the overall difficulty of the climb - taking into account all factors which lend difficulty to a pitch including technical difficulty, sustaindness,...for a climber leading the route on sight in traditional style."

The idea that, overall, daddy cool is just as hard to onsight as Purgatory is pure fantasy.
In reply to Al Evans: Two of those are crack routes and all are pretty easy really.

If you want the hardest pure smearing route on limestone it's also at Staden: Gary's "96 Smears" at E5 6c. No holds and no gear.

3 Names 27 Apr 2014
In reply to remus:

>

> The idea that, overall, daddy cool is just as hard to onsight as Purgatory is pure fantasy.

Who said it was?

Alun 27 Apr 2014
In reply to remus:

> The idea that, overall, daddy cool is just as hard to onsight as Purgatory is pure fantasy.

To my knowledge, neither has been onsighted (I am happy to be corrected). Nobody would doubt that Purgatory is a harder route technically than Daddy Cool - but then nobody should expect that, given that one is E8 6c, the other E8 7b.

Perhaps, once you have led both routes, instead of top-roping them, you could come back and start a new thread about it? As it is, we are distracting others here, for which I apologise.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 27 Apr 2014
In reply to 3 Names:

3 names, well they both get E8, a grade which is supposedly meant to summarise how hard each route is to onsight.

Alun, James Pearson has onsighted Daddy Cool. Might be a while before I can start that thread, 8B bouldering is hard! I agree we are off topic, though. Back to the point...
 Michael Gordon 28 Apr 2014
In reply to Alun:

>
> FWIW, and despite being a limestone fan, I can't think of any really hard uk limestone slabs. As somebody said further up, Britain doesn't seem to have the right geology.

Perhaps because the hardest ones have bolts on them?
In reply to Michael Gordon:

I have found what i think could be an E8/9 slab.

The Indian Face of the SW
 Ed morris 28 Apr 2014
In reply to Alun:

Daddy Cool is only middling 6b, the moves (on toprope) are about the same difficulty as those on Beyond the Beyond (E5 6b), except you can't fall off.

The hardest limestone slab in pembroke is Noddy the Nubbin and the sensuous smear E5 6c/Fr 7b+. The bolts could be forgone safely at about E6/7.

Edd
 3 Names 29 Apr 2014
In reply to remus:
Yes but of course the grade doesn't make sense if you only have half of it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...