UKC

Lunatic Drivers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Niall B 22 Apr 2014
As Rallymania alluded to on another post the (well some) driving at the weekend was atrocious. Specifically the person in the silver Skoda who did a really special overtaking effort on the A84 Glen Ogil Road (southbound) on Sunday at about 5.30pm. Also the bikers who filled the sapce between me and the car in front on the approach to Lix Toll. WTF?! I bet if I stopped the car and dragged any one of you off your bike or out your car you wouldn't be half as agressive. At least junkies might just take your wallet, these gets might take your life. It's a cliche' but driving to the hills is easily the most dangrous part of the day.

OK rant over, until the next time.
 rallymania 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Niall B:

ah, thanks for reminding me i was going to do this

for me it was 2 car drivers on the Ben Lawers road.

one we followed pretty much from the new BL car park right to just past the junction at bridge of balgie (that's about 6 miles) the whole way at between 20 and 25 mph (nearly stopped for 2 corners). completely oblivious to the queue of cars behind.

the other we only followed for a mile or so before he pulled over and let us nip past, but the first one i actually think the driver didn't look in their mirrors the whole way.

nothing wrong with driving at a nice steady speed, but come on folks if the car behind wants to get past, just pull in for 5 seconds and let them by.
aultguish 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Niall B:

Glen Ogle, southbound on Sunday also......about 7.45. A maroon coloured freelander (new shape) overtook 3 cars in the one manoeuvre at the bottom end of the Glen. They managed to pull in just before a blind bend and you've guessed it, a car coming the other way!
A very close call.
 Neil Williams 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Niall B:

My experience around the Lakes was 4x4s driven at 30-40mph braking heavily at each corner, then speeding up to 60+ whenever an opportunity to overtake safely presented itself.

Neil
 Bob 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

That's standard for tourist drivers in the Lakes I'm afraid.

Rather bizarrely we had no traffic incidents to report for the whole weekend. However we did manage to avoid being on the roads for the most part, at least at the busy times.
 Sharp 22 Apr 2014
In reply to rallymania:

Last two days driving home from work been behind two different (very) old women, both driving at 4omph on straight a roads, slowing down to 20mph for the corners. The one yesterday was the worst in the 30 zone, looked about 80 years old, sped away from me at 40+mph on the straight and then slowed down to under 10mph on corners, roundabouts or if another car was coming the other way.

Seems to be the rule that if you drive at 40mph in 60 zones then you have to drive at 40mph in 30 zones as well. Utter menace and so common place. I understand in rural areas cars are lifelines to the oldies but really, if driving over 40mph on A roads is too scary, beyond your driving ability or reaction times then you shouldn't be driving over 30 in pedestrian areas.
In reply to Niall B:
Agree that there were some interesting driving over the weekend but...Can you say you were all without fault?

I followed a line of cars (around 10) all bunched up behind a lorry. None of them had any intention of overtaking, yet they were all bumper to bumper. If you read the highway code, you would see you're supposed to leave enough room so that cars/vehicles overtaking can slot in. This means you can overtake one car at a time, instead of having to do 10. These drivers are just as bad;if you then want to overtake you are left the option of doing something stupid and dangerous, or just getting frustrated at being stuck behind people who have no idea how to overtake - or allow others to do so.

That's my rant over!
Post edited at 14:48
 Martin W 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Sharp:

> Seems to be the rule that if you drive at 40mph in 60 zones then you have to drive at 40mph in 30 zones as well.

This behaviour has an ancronym: FART, standing for Forty All the Ruddy Time. Coined by James May, I believe.
 rallymania 22 Apr 2014
In reply to aultguish:
thankfully that wasn't me then

i drove through glen ogle at about 6:45am on Monday (back to work for me, what joy) and i have a "rorty... ha" ford focus.

the 2 drivers i was stuck behind were driving those skoda yeti 4x4 things, one was red one was silver. i made machine gun and rocket launcher noises which both amused my passengers and made me feel better without actually doing anyone any harm
Post edited at 15:29
 butteredfrog 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Sharp:

> Last two days driving home from work been behind two different (very) old women, both driving at 4omph on straight a roads, slowing down to 20mph for the corners........

See you have "met" my mum then!
 Neil Williams 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Sharp:

Or at least if (a) you don't like driving over 40mph and (b) you can see a car has been following you for some time, when you get on a straight section remain at 40mph for a short while to give them an opportunity to pass.

While I'm not a super-slow driver I tend to stick to speed limits, so if I'm coming out of a 30/40 limit or slow section and there's someone behind me I will tend to delay accelerating slightly to give them the chance to get past if they wish.

Neil
 zebidee 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Niall B:

There
> Specifically the person in the silver Skoda who did a really special overtaking effort on the A84 Glen Ogil Road (southbound) on Sunday at about 5.30pm.

There are some significant sections on the Glen Ogle road southbound where you can see across a number of corners and are able to overtake.

Having lived up there you get to know where these sections are and aren't.

That said ...

> Also the bikers who filled the sapce between me and the car in front on the approach to Lix Toll.

The road from Stirling to Crianlarich is allegedly known as the chicken run amongst the biker community who (unfortunately) come from all over the UK to ride it.

I had to give first aid to one who had a wobble & clipped the wing of the car 3 in front of me, before being thrown in the air. That one closed Glen Ogle for a good hour. The guy was lucky enough to only get a broken ankle.
 Bob 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:
Hmm, that reminds me, actually had one incident of odd behaviour. Driving out of Colne last night heading over to Yoikshire a car came zooming up and sat about a car's length behind me. The road out of Colne through Laneshawbridge is one of those annoying 30mph zones where you can see for a long way but there's often police with speed cameras there so you basically just sit at 30 and don't fret.

The car behind does seem to be in a rush.

I get to the derestriction sign and speed up to about 50mph (didn't go to 60 as I thought I'd let him overtake), the car is now some way behind. When I get to Cowling, the car is nowhere to be seen and I slow back down to 30mph and seconds later, the car is right behind me. If he was in a rush then why not overtake me when he had the chance when in the 60mph zone? there was plenty of opportunity as there was little traffic coming the other way.
Post edited at 15:47
Douglas Griffin 22 Apr 2014
In reply to Niall B:

Followed a driver all the way back down Glen Muick on Friday, at a speed of around 25mph.

Everyone seems to have figured out that you pull into passing places to allow oncoming traffic to pass. Amazes me how few drivers also use them to permit overtaking. Could be that they never look in their rear-view mirrors, I suppose...
aultguish 22 Apr 2014
In reply to zebidee:

Up the top end is fine, you can see for a long way down the hill but my incident was at the bottom end and I was the lead car doing 50ish. I put my foot on the brake well before the bend because you could see he wasn't going to make it, just aswell really, as I reckon that one would've been a serious casualty for the poor woman coming up the hill in her wee car.....she had that look of death when she saw what was coming, poor lass.
I hate that stretch between Crianlarich and Lix, especially at weekends.
 Martin W 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

> Followed a driver all the way back down Glen Muick on Friday, at a speed of around 25mph.

> Everyone seems to have figured out that you pull into passing places to allow oncoming traffic to pass. Amazes me how few drivers also use them to permit overtaking.

Don't be silly, everyone knows that letting people overtake makes your cock smaller. Either that or it "encourages idiots to drive too fast". Or something. Anything to try to justify it as being for the benefit of the driver behind, or other road users - but of course nothing to do with bolstering their own self-esteem behind the wheel.
 Babika 23 Apr 2014
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay:

I never understand why the lorry doesn't pull over for 20 seconds? Does that make his willy smaller as well?

Just returned from France where on a winding mountain road our coach with 5 cars behind pulled into a layby for a miniscule amount of time while all the cars whizzed past.

Result = happy punters all round.

girlymonkey 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Babika:

Up here I tend to find lorries are not too bad at pulling over every so often. Its tourist drivers that do my head in. I am also a regular driver of the Glen Ogle road, and summer season on there really is suicide season!
 Andy Hardy 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Bob:

Sorry about that, I got a text which I had to reply to and that slowed me down for a bit

tony 23 Apr 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

And tourist bus drivers. My personal record was following a Dutch bus all the way from Ledmore to Rosehall on the A837. There's nowhere possible for overtaking, and the driver didn't understand about pulling in to passing places to let drivers behind. It was most frustrating, to say the least
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 Apr 2014
In reply to all:

These threads always amaze me - other than the posters, there appear to be two kinds of drivers out there, the soft sods in front of you slowing everyone down and the nutters behind trying to get past,

Chris
In reply to Babika:

In that situation yes, it would be good for the lorry to pull over for a moment. But if people drive with a minor amount of thought, those who don't know how to overtake can stay where they are while those who do/have the power to do so (I realise it's not so easy if you're in a micra) can get round the traffic pretty quickly. Everyone is still happy!

But then that would require people to have some consideration for others. Instead it seems most take the attitude that if I'm 'stuck' then so is everyone else going to be!

These are probably the same people who think the lane which you're driving in on the motorway, depends only on your speed. i.e. they have no idea what the rules of the road are!

Flinticus 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Martin W:

Never knew that the phenomena was so well documented! Its something I see all the time. It drives me fu*king nuts. Bad driving out of town, and bad driving in town.

Or the slow down at corners to a stupidly low speed then speed up on the straight so you can't over take. Gah!
 deepsoup 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> .. the soft sods in front of you slowing everyone down and the nutters behind trying to get past,

I see what you're getting at, but both do exist.
If you don't believe me you could try doing what I often do with my work - drive over the Snake between Sheffield and Manchester at noon on Sunday, try it again at 7am on a Monday morning.

Really they're subsets of a single group - drivers who are inconsiderate of others.
XXXX 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Niall B:

In a recent survey, 100% of respondents claimed to be above average drivers.

Andy Hardy 23 Apr 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

[...]
> Really they're subsets of a single group - other drivers.

Fixed

deepsoup 23 Apr 2014
In reply to XXXX:
> In a recent survey, 100% of respondents claimed to be above average drivers.
[citation needed]

Chris Harris 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> These threads always amaze me - other than the posters, there appear to be two kinds of drivers out there, the soft sods in front of you slowing everyone down and the nutters behind trying to get past,

> Chris

Simple physics. The good drivers are going the same speed as you. You don't catch them up, & they don't catch you up - so you don't see them. You'll only ever encounter traffic going at different speeds to you.
OP Niall B 23 Apr 2014
In reply to XXXX:

Yeah, heard that one before...

It's funny how much pyschology/ego is involved in driving. Not many people admit to be rubbish drivers.

Really the point I was trying to make with this post is not that there are slower or faster drivers then me, or better or worse, there always will be, it was the decisions people made which still amaze me. I genuinely thought I was going to witness a fatal accident on at least twice on Sunday. I don't want my fantastic day in the hills ruined by some mensa member turning themselves or anyone else to mush.
XXXX 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Niall B:

I'm always amazed at how many close shaves people witness. I've been driving a relatively modest 14 years but the only genuinely terrifying moments I can recall have involved me. One someone hit me on the motorway, the other was my fault. (I pulled out in front of an HGV doing about 50mph on a roundabout because I thought I was in a left filter lane.)

Some people take risks I wouldn't, especially with my family in the car, some people don't take risks that I would, fair enough.

I used to commute 45 miles each way on rural a-roads here in the congested SE. Every day I'd get stuck behind people who insisted on forty everywhere. When fuel hit £1.10 a litre (the horror) I decided to get a new job but in the meantime I drove with the realtime mpg figure on my display and kept it as high as I could. I never went over 50mph, never overtook anyone, got overtaken A LOT, but in all that time, my commute never actually took significantly longer than before but my blood pressure was much better.

Everyone should just chill out. Too many people 'police' the roads when they're driving and it causes stress and accidents.

zoobizooretta 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Niall B:

that's why i have a dash cam. They're cheap enough these days.(ebay & amazon, £15-£90)

You can send your footage in to the police and they will prosecute dangerous drivers. Plus they're useful IF you ever have an accident because its all on film and you can see who's to blame.

here's a useful guide to buying a cam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ0Tm9FFpKM&list=PLFB79814F24001328
 johncook 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Niall B:

When I was learning to drive (no, not to get a stagecoach license, just in case my friends are on here!) my driving instructor said there was only on thing to remember.
Every driver is an idiot, except me and you. And I'm not sure about you.
I drive for economy almost all the time. That means I get to the speed limit and stay there, whether it is a straight or a bend. My car goes round corners at speed very well. Allowing for speedo error I don't vary far from the limit. In the Peak I frequently get stuck behind 25mph in the 60mph bits and am often overtaken when doing the limit. If people want to pass me the road is theirs, unfortunately if I want to pass, it is often made difficult by them increasing speed or meandering across the line.
I am no perfect person, just occasionally, usually in the early hours, when the roads are empty, I will have a thrash, purely to find the limits of my car to make me a safer driver. (honest!)
I do try to be considerate of other drivers, but unfortunately the vast majority of drivers get in their little ego box and are inconsiderate (many of my relative for a start, who also text and phone call on their way home from the pub!)
 tehmarks 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Niall B:

The moron on the A22 who pulled out of a layby straight into lane two when the traffic around him was doing 70 deserves a special mention. How can people be so utterly moronic?
 Bob 23 Apr 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

> Sorry about that, I got a text which I had to reply to and that slowed me down for a bit

>

Fair play. Don't want to get in the way of important stuff.

andymac 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Niall B:

Bikers are the ones who piss me off.

Between Corran and Fort William is where I have seen the worst cases biker Russian Roulette.

Best of it is ; more often than not the bikers I have met have been off duty policemen and similarly (youwould think ) sensible professionals.
 Offwidth 23 Apr 2014
In reply to andymac:

A benefit of a bike is queues become less of an issue. A big risk is someone is more likely to kill you driving without due care and attention. A mid life crisis is evident where someone who should know better can see the first point but not the second. Having said that, if eveyone was more considerate, especially with bikes, I suspect crazy overtaking would become very rare indeed.
 Oli 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Niall B:

>WTF?! I bet if I stopped the car and dragged any one of you off your bike or out your car you wouldn't be half as agressive

I think you may have a similar amount of issues to those you are complaining about.
 Seocan 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Niall B:

i commute between glasgow and edinburgh, so in this compettion to find the prickiest drivers its an easy win, take yesterdäy, castlecary blocked both ways by 7.30am, the return commute, 90minute delays because castlecary blocked both ways. To see real pricks on the road come and watch the weegies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...