UKC

a trip around scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timmyhobby 22 Apr 2014
hi, in a couple of months me and my girlfriend are going to Scotland for 9 days, realy want to go up ben nevis (probly the hvs up the face, how is it?), maby the cullin ridge (how is it???), defiantly visit the outer Hebrides and do some climbing/walking there. Does anyone have any suggestions to what would be the best bet of places to go on our little trip???????

Cheers, Tim and Hannah
OP timmyhobby 23 Apr 2014
In reply to timmyhobby:

anyone?
 Michael Gordon 23 Apr 2014
In reply to timmyhobby:

What is your level of experience? No offence but it's hard to tell when you mention HVS routes and the Cuillin Ridge but don't seem to know anything about them.
 tony 23 Apr 2014
In reply to timmyhobby:

Go to Skye and do some of the Cuillin Ridge and visit Trotternish for the weird rock architecture
Go to the Outer Hebrides for the beaches and the brochs and the stone circles and the emptiness
Go to Torridon for the most majestic mountains in the UK
Go to Stac Pollaidh for the cutest mountain in the UK
Go to Applecross for the drive over the Bealach na Ba, langoustine in the pub and the views to Raasey.

If the weather's good, there's nowhere better. Take midge repellent.
 Phil1919 23 Apr 2014
In reply to timmyhobby:

Don't race around too much.
 DannyC 23 Apr 2014
In reply to tony:

Sound suggestions there. After spending some of the Easter break at Erraid, I'd add that on to the list if possible. But with nine days, don't try to go to too many places. Leave time to enjoy each one fully.
 Choss 23 Apr 2014
In reply to timmyhobby:
On the outer Hebrides, go to south Uist and walk Hecla, Ben Corrodale, and Ben More, Preferably Including the Long bog trot in and out From Howmore.

Stunning views of the outer and inner Hebrides, Amazing mountain and rock Architecture, history, deer, otters, golden eagles, a whale Spotting From the top if youre lucky, stunningly blue seas and White sand beaches. Really Appreciate the empty beauty of the Uists From up there.

Then walk south on the White sand beach south From howmore on the west coast for a bit, marvel at the seal Colony.

But you can go to the outer Hebrides happily, you dont have to visit 'defiantly'
Post edited at 09:52
 Timm Ross 23 Apr 2014
In reply to timmyhobby:

Completely agree with all the suggestions so far.
Its not to say that HVS on the north face of the Ben is impossible BUT theres still a fair lot of snow around. Personally I wouldnt see anything good from getting freezing cold trying to summer climb with an innevitable wintery top out. Many more climbs to be enjoyed in Glen Nevis after doing a quick ascent of the Ben.
Just for the sake of adding to the list. Several groups have started going out to Ardnamurchan recently, myself included, and the conditions have been PERFECT (even if you do end up getting fed up of single track roads).
In reply to Timm Ross:

>
> Its not to say that HVS on the north face of the Ben is impossible
>

It very much depends which one!

Tom Last 23 Apr 2014
In reply to timmyhobby:

Centurion's fine for HVS.

Cuillin Ridge is difficult for a vdiff!

sebrider 23 Apr 2014
In reply to timmyhobby:

Some good advice given, I would also say don't rush around, best enjoy a fewer places more thoroughly.

Lots depends on the weather so I would make a plan dependent on that nearer the time. Midges will be out then so factor that in too!!

If you told folk the grade/style of climb you fancied I'm sure you would get some good advice. Centurion (HVS) and Minus One (E1) on the Ben...both are really nice, the latter taking you to the summit if you carry on up the NE buttress. Don't forget the sea stacks in Scotland, they have good routes VS to E1 or more.

Bon voyage!

GrahamD 23 Apr 2014
In reply to timmyhobby:

Scotland is a big place and it can take a long time to get between venues. Unless you want to spend most of your time driving, I would limit myself to 3 centres maximum - Ben Nevis area if that's what you want, maybe Skye and Torridon
In reply to timmyhobby:

If you only have 9 days and you want to visit the Outer Hebrides, you're not going to have much time for anywhere else.

If it was me, I'd probably wait and see where the weather is least bad! I've had any number of great trips to Scotland haring around the west coast trying to avoid the rain... When the sun's out it's pretty much all amazing though
In reply to tony:

just googled all of what you posted! all look amazing! cheers
In reply to Timm Ross:

cool, cheers. probably just walk it if the conditions will be snowy
In reply to GrahamD:

yea think thats a good idea
In reply to victim of mathematics:

to take it as it comes is a good plan! cheers.
 teddy_simmon 23 Apr 2014
In reply to timmyhobby:

This is something I am doing in a few weeks too.

Does anyone know whether their is a stretch of the cullin ridge we could do to get a flavour of the ridge for the day but without the harder climbing pitches?

Thanks

Matt
In reply to timmyhobby:

I know you were asking about climbing, but have you thought about throwing in some canoeing? Wife and I went with Conor at www.ewecanoe.co.uk from Poolewe and had a great time. Really recommend him.
 StuDoig 23 Apr 2014
In reply to teddy_simmon:

you can climb all the main summits via routes that don't involve the TD Gap, Naismith's etc - well worth doing in fact for the trickier route finding sections to avoid wasting time during the traverse trying to figure out where to go!

Regards,

Stuart
 Simon Rackley 23 Apr 2014
In reply to timmyhobby:

have you thought about mull? theres a lovely tidal island called erraid at the bottom south west corner and its stunning, theres plenty of single pitch climbing on nice pink granite.
In reply to teddy_simmon:

For some of the most exposed scrambling around (but nothing harder than Mod) the Banachdaich-Mhadaidh round gives a good day.
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 23 Apr 2014
In reply to timmyhobby:

If the wind is from the west go east.
If the wind is from the east go out west.
If the wind is from the south go north
but if there is no wind stay indoors.
 Fraser 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Heh, like it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...