UKC

mountain hardshell for bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davy_boy 23 Apr 2014
does anyone use there mountaineering hardshell jacket for cycling ?
reason for asking im fed up with my cheap cycling jacket I bought a few years ago not very waterproof and always rides up at the back. have got a sportive at the weekend and its forecast heavy rain. so while hunting through the cupboard I decided to try my north face goretex jacket and it covers my backside has a hood that will swallow my helmet and pitzips.
am I on to something here or are cycling specific jackets worth having ?
 balmybaldwin 23 Apr 2014
In reply to davy_boy:
Cycling specific jackets are worth having, but it sounds like your hardshell is a better fit than your cheapo cycling top.

Cycling jackets should be longer at the back and arms to allow you to stretch out on a bike. some have a backside flap to keep your bum dry.

The biggest difference, and one tha you might struggle with the hadshell is the amount of heat an sweat you generate when cycling could get you wet under the hardshell.

I wouldn't wear your hood over your helmet - it will act like a very effective air brake.

If you must wear it, put it under your helmet, but personally unless it's really cold (sub 5C) i would avoid it as it's horribly restrictive to your hearing (even at low temps I just use a wool skull cap type thing)

And Mountain hardshells tend not to have all the reflective piping etc that you find on cycling jackets for safety/visibility
Post edited at 12:02
OP davy_boy 23 Apr 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

might just use it for the weekend then look for a proper cycling jacket that fits. still new to this road biking stuff much prefer offroad.
my shell is longer at the back as its a ski mountaineering jacket which does cover even when sat on the saddle which was what got me thinking. your right about the hood was just something I tried out this morning.
will probably get a few strange looks from the pro type guys turning up with a north face jacket and 5.10 mountain bike shoes.
Rigid Raider 23 Apr 2014
In reply to davy_boy:

Yes, nothing marks you out more than riding in inappropriate gear. You may say you don't care but cycling clothes are cut for the purpose and walking kit doesn't work.

Better to brave it out this weekend and save for a decent cycling waterproof by a good name like Endura, one that's well cut and made from a stiff enough material that it doesn't flap annoyingly and allows moisture to escape.
In reply to davy_boy:

I recently bought a folding bike for weekly London commutes to and from the train, and wanted a very lightweight and hi-vis jacket. It seemed a waste to buy something I couldn't climb in so I got a Marmot Hyper, as below; around £70 on SportsPursuit, in neon green. Very happy with it.

http://coldthistle.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/marmot-hyper-jacketa-field-test-a...

However, if you're doing sportives then I guess you're on a road bike, the cycling position is different and you may need cycle-specific cut. I have a Gore w/p jacket that only fits when my arms are right forward on the handlebars of my road bike!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...