UKC

What route is this? (Langdale)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Red Rover 23 Apr 2014
 Jon Stewart 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

It's the ridge that goes down to Stickle Tarn, it's in the scrambling guides. It's an alright scramble, not as good as it looks here (the scrambly steps are very avoidable). The route up the front is nicer.
 Mark Eddy 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

East ridge of Harrison Stickle: grade 1 or 2. The Cicerone guide gives it 1 star. There are numerous variations and it's well worth doing.
 Chris the Tall 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Red Rover:
It's Harrison Stickle viewed from Pavey Ark. Not sure if there are any specific routes on that face, but I have scrambled up there. I remember it as climb anywhere, pick your own line sort of thing - never too difficult, always fairly exposed but good fun

Actually both climbing and scrambling guides may well now include routes up there, but I'm never good at following them !

EDIT - I think I did the front(south) face, rather than the ridge
Post edited at 16:53
OP Red Rover 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks, I'm surprised its not something more, must be a deceptive photo, makes it look like it could be on Ben Nevis.
In reply to Red Rover:

The thing is, it's absolute gorgeous rough rock. If it was a smoother kind of rock would no doubt be quite a bit harder.

OP Red Rover 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking for a scramble to take my non climbing girlfriend on. Something thats grade 3 or Mod and feels 'mountainy', but won't be too busy, so I was thinking of the south face of Pike O Stickle.
 Offwidth 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

Trouble with some scrambles is runners and belays are not so easy as on easier climbs and if your partner starts to freak that might be scary.
OP Red Rover 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

I've thought about that, the reason I'm not taking her up something easier is that theres often a lack of belays so a fall would be pretty serious.

Not really bothered about runner I wont be falling I'll just be belaying her from above so all i need is the odd belay.

From what I've read of Pike O Stickle south face there should be belays and if she finds it too hard I can abb off with her (I've done rescue stuff so should be OK).
 Offwidth 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

I'd just try something less exposed and easier to escape from first, you could even do stuff on the ghyll scramble on the way up.
OP Red Rover 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

I'll have a good look at the guides first, jsut idly thinking at the moment. These won't be her first time on rocky ground, we've scrambled about on random rocks and boulders before.
OP Red Rover 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

But youre right it shouldnt be exposed or it could go wrong and she'll never want to go out again, but I dont want it to be too unexposed and escapable so it feels pointless.
 John Kelly 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

sorry to be pedantic, Pike of Stickle south face - are you sure, do you mean Harrison stickle south face (which is great)
john
Removed User 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Red Rover:

Just take her up the Middlefell Buttress...
OP Red Rover 23 Apr 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

I meant Pike O Stickle south face. Meant to be a grade 3 scramble.

http://www.summitpost.org/pike-o-stickle-south-face/361048
 John Kelly 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Red Rover:
followed the link
don't have a copy of sparks book handy
there are 3 quite hard scrambles on the west/nwest faces - don't know of anything on s face- its been a while but we all got worried - rope is probably handy
get your hands on 'Scrambles in the Lakes South' Cicerone RB Evans if you can

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...