UKC

3000m peaks pyrenees in 1 day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mc2006 24 Apr 2014
I am going to the Pyrenees in July, I am wanting to find some 3000m peaks that could be done in a day, I will have a hire car so I am wanting to park up early morning get up and back down before the storms.
Any areas or peaks anyone knows of that could be done in a day.

Thanks in advance
60survivor 24 Apr 2014
In reply to mc2006:

Base yourself in Vicdessos in the Ariege. Pic MONTCALM 3077. But there are many pics to do in the area and plenty of rock climbing too! good base, I live a couple of hours away.
 Doug 24 Apr 2014
In reply to mc2006:

there's many, where will you be based ?
OP mc2006 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Doug:

I have not booked accommodation yet so haven't decided.
We will be flying to Barcelona then getting a hire car. We have been looking at the spanish side around ordesa national park, Benasque.

Michael
 Doug 24 Apr 2014
In reply to mc2006:

My memories of 3 000m peaks on the Spanish side is that most involve a night at a hut (or a very long day). A couple of obvious peaks which would be day trips are Le Taillon & Pic de Neovielle as in both cases you can start from a pretty high car park.
OP mc2006 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Doug:

Ok great I will look into those.
 kylo-342 24 Apr 2014
In reply to mc2006: We did Monte Perdito in a day from the Spanish side. It was excellent, although we were quite tired at the end of it!
OP mc2006 24 Apr 2014
In reply to kylo-342:

How long did it take you? I wont mind early starts and late finishes.

Carolyn 24 Apr 2014
In reply to mc2006:

I can't quite remember, but it's certainly be possible to do Monte Perdido in a day. IIRC, we walked up and camped near the refuge one evening, and comfortably did the peak, returned to camp, packed up and walked out the next. I think we didn't make a particularly early start (maybe walking at 8 or 9) and were back at tent by mid afternoon? We mainly did it that way as we needed to camp somewhere....

My memory is hazy (it's at least 10 years ago), but I think you "need" to get a shuttle bus from the main car park up to where there used to be a higher car park, which might limit your start time. But it may not actually be all that far, I have a feeling we walked it on the way down having just missed a bus and not feeling like sitting around.
EvanDavies 24 Apr 2014
In reply to mc2006:

I have done both Tuc De Molieres and Punta Alta in a day. Left the car at about 6-7am and were back by mid after noon, 3-4pm.Both need a car to access the start. Molieres was up and down via the same route whereas Punta Alta was a circular walk. Both quite similar walks, gentle start alongside river, passing lakes/boulder fields as you go up with easy scrambles near the top. You can base yourself in Pont de Suert or Boi which will give you decent access to both as well as a few other 3000's (I believe the Besiberri massif is nearby, but that may require a two-day trip)
 Abi Chard 24 Apr 2014
In reply to mc2006:

Aiguestortes national park would be a good option, based in the Vall de Boi. You can camp at Taull, drive up to the Cavallers dam in the morning (lots of granite trad and sport climbing there, single and multi-pitch) and you have the option of either the Punta Alta de Comalesbienes on one side or the Pic de Comaloforno on the other. Neither are one of the big ticks, but it's a beautiful spot and you won't see many other people out walking.

The Pyrenees are fantastic - enjoy.
 Doug 24 Apr 2014
In reply to the OP
And don't get hung up on 3 000 - it's just a number & there's many peaks which are great days out which are lower

JJL 24 Apr 2014
In reply to mc2006:

You can do Aneto in a day from the French side

kylo-342 24 Apr 2014
In reply to mc2006:

We went in a group of about 15 people, but everyone walked at their own speed in groups of 2-3 ish (i.e. not much waiting for stragglers).

I think 5 of us (the fittest) got to the top -- the round trip back to the car park took between about 12 and 14 hours I seem to remember. There wasn't much stopping for long lunches etc.
 Pyreneenemec 25 Apr 2014
In reply to mc2006:

Vignemale can be done in a day from Gavarnie ( bivvy Lac d'Ossoue ) around 1600m ascent. Half a dozen 3000m summits can be bagged !

Aneto can be done from the south using the Ballibierna track, again around 1600m ascent. Bus service in season, the track is closed to cars. The same access can be used to tackle the two 3000m Ballierna peaks.

Using the Cavelers lake for access, a few of the Aigues Tortes 3000m peaks can easily be done in a day : Beciberri, Como Lo Forno & Punta Alta. The traverse from Beciberri North to Pico Celestin Passet is a fine outing, graded AD.

Posets can be done in a long day from the Viados hut ( car access to the hut itself). As can the Eriste peaks, a few of which pass the magic 3000m mark !
If you're fit the traverse from the Eriste Col to Posets is a spectacular ridge route, graded PD+. Photo in my gallery !

Plenty there to wet your appetite !

OP mc2006 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

Thanks for the info thats perfect. Plenty of ideas from people. I have just booked flight to Barcelona. Looking at accommodation in the vall de boi as that is near cavallers.
 Pyreneenemec 26 Apr 2014
In reply to mc2006:

Seeing as you are considering the BoĆ® valley as a base, I thought I'd suggest a good restaurant ( well to be honest, I haven't been for over 10 years). It's the "Villa Maria" at Llesp. Been the same people since 1980.
It was fantastic value. Their "Jabali al chocolate" ( wild boar stew in chocolate sauce) was to die for- but sadly doesn't appear on the current menu.

Anyway here's a link, just in case :

http://www.restvillamaria.com/

Another place worth checking-out on a rainy-day is the nearby hill-top village of Roda de Isabena. Smallest cathedral city in Spain. The restaurant "La Catedral" is amazing, set in the old refectory. I ate here only a couple of weeks ago- "Jabili al chocolate" - delicious ! Excellent value set-menu.

http://www.hospederia-rdi.com/restauranteC.htm

Yeah - I like my food !

OP mc2006 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

Haha cheers thats great. Will look into them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...