UKC

Computer mouse problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
My mouse has packed up due to my pc being unable to load a file for the mouse, I want use the keyboard as a mouse to sort it but can't tick the checkbox in mouse accessibility options to enable it. I've tried using alt + M to tick it but it's not working. It's an old pc using windows me that i only use to run my large format printer. Any ideas?
Removed User 24 Apr 2014
In reply to jonathan shepherd:

Normally you can use tab to cycle through the window options and hit space bar to tick.
In reply to Removed User:
That's what i'm currently doing but it won't cycle on to the tick box it just jumps from the mouse tab at the top to ok or cancel but won't access the tick box.

Jack B 24 Apr 2014

And there I was thinking that WinME was dead... It really was Microsoft's worst ever offering. IMO Win98SE or Win2K are much better if legacy support is a must. Anyway, I have two suggestions:

Sometimes a combination of tab and arrow keys gets you places tab alone can't get you.

If you know what file is corrupt or missing, you might be able to fix it with a boot disk.
 balmybaldwin 24 Apr 2014

try hitting space when you've got the mouse tab selected... that should then allow you to tab around the mouse tab
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Thanks for your help, tried hitting space when the mouse tab is selected to no avail and also tried the tab and arrow keys. I think I need to try and find the boot disk but after 14 years and two house moves it's looking unlikely.
 balmybaldwin 24 Apr 2014

do you know what the missing file is called? you might be able to download it.

14 years is very good for a PC... it might not be long in this world
 Jim Fraser 24 Apr 2014

Get your Windows Manual. In it is a list of keystrokes. This should be enough to perform a wide range of actions in the OS.

Get to an internet search for windows keystrokes and you should find an even more comprehensive list.

(Not only can you operate Windows with keys but I have seen satellite earth station technicians run up computers and operate motion-controlled earth stationS with only a keyboard and no mouse OR MONITOR.)
 Jack B 24 Apr 2014

Here's another thought.

In earlier versions of windows, drives weren't always very coherent. If the driver is broken, it may be that other mouse drivers still work. You could try plugging in a serial/ps2/usb mouse.
In reply to Jack B: I've currently got a usb mouse and a wireless mouse plugged in and neither are working. I'm going to have another play tomorrow with some new keyboard commands and if i get no joy it's going to the great scrapyard in the sky. It's not that i really need it anynmore as i have a laptop i could use but the A3 scanner that's attached to it runs off an scsi card so i wouldn't be able to use that but then i've been thinking of getting a new scanner anyway so maybe it's just time for some new kit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...