UKC

Laptop for video editing??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 24 Apr 2014
Sorry, its another what laptop should I get tread.

My ageing desktop has now got to the point that it can't play large video files (>720p@120fps, or 1080@60fps) which is making editing them a rather frustrating exercise.

I'm considering a straight swap to another desktop, but I like the flexibility of a laptop, especially to do some editing on holidays etc if I want. I can always connect it ot a bigger screen if the laptop screen is too little for longer projects.

If I were to go down this route I would probably look to set-up my old desktop as a media server.

I'm looking to spend around £600 but could be persuaded to spend more if it means the laptop is likely to last me a bit longer.

I'm looking at
Intel Core i5
Memory - 8GB
HDD - not sure, probably go for a SSHD with 32GB+solid state, and 500M-1TB overall size
Graphics Card - seperate card of some kind, but I haven't really looked into these yet - is it really necessary to go for a seperate one or are the on-board cards getting better now?

Ideally I would go for a small laptop 11-13" screen, but I can't seem to find anything this small with the spec I want.. smallest is 15" which I can live with but not ideal.

A few other thoughts have cropped up - like do I want a Mac? I think at the moment there is software I need to run that is windows only, and I don't know how good the windows emulation is on a mac?

Any suggestions of what to look at would be great Thaks
 rallymania 24 Apr 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

high perfomrance plus small form factor equals expensive.

you might be better with a small laptop for mobile and a bigger machine for your main work.
i use adobe premier pro, and laying out the timeline isn't that CPU intensive and with that you can then export the project to a dedicated rendoring machine with better horsepower to create the final video output.
the rendoring is the thing that uses the CPU / graphics card and the process that will test your machines durability. a small laptop with lots of power will get hot and then probably go into a reduced performance mode. even a full sized laptop will get hot and need care in handling. a desktop is a much better option for video output.

there's also the drive issue. yes to a solid state drive, as much ram as your budget allows and a proper video card are all good things to look for. regarding disk space you could always use a NAS or a USB drive as your main file storeage and have a sensible sized SSD in the laptop for your "now" work.

and finally bear in mind if you have a one machine that does it all and that machine is a laptop you are pretty well buggered if it breaks or gets stolen

HTH's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...