UKC

Skiable, soloable winter routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
James Jackson 24 Apr 2014
Hi all,

With winter rapidly retreating, I find myself planning for next season... Always the way!

I *should* next season have the opportunity to take lots of weekends in the Alps, and would like to make best use of this. I've recently discovered the joys of ski mountaineering, be it skinning up things or climbing steeper things with skis on a pack, and then enjoying a ski descent.

I have a number of goals in mind for Alpine routes I would like to ski down, but these will probably take a couple of years' development. In the meantime, I need ideas of things to develop on. Criteria are somewhat along the following lines:

* Alpine grade up to summer AD equivalent, but ideally F / PD for the early explorations
* I'm likely to be solo, so a minimum of glacial travel a bonus
* Soloing rock not really my bag (think Winter II kind of stuff as v. comfortable)
* Doable in one or two days from the car

I'd welcome any route suggestions for me to take a look at. For my development, the kind of stuff I have in mind would be, in Summer, nice snow-plods to rounded summits. The steeper stuff can come later, but interest on descent isn't really a drama.

Cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...