UKC

Wet-weather grit venues?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bertbee 24 Apr 2014
Can anyone suggest some decent wet-weather grit venues in the Peaks (i.e. New Mills Tor, under the bridge etc.)?
 Jon Stewart 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Bertbee:

Err, could you tell me what time it is (i.e. 9.30)?

Apologies for the sarcasm, I couldn't resist.
OP Bertbee 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I don't get it?
 Michael Hood 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Bertbee:

I think it's because you've named the only Peak (no "s" - Al will be on in a minute) District grit that might stay dry in the wet.

Unless you're asking which gritstone is best to climb in the wet in which case I would recommend Ramshaw
OP Bertbee 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Michael Hood:

I wasn't aware of any grit that would be dry when raining, and stumbled upon the New Mills anomaly by chance - was wondering if there were any other options?

Best grit to climb in the wet is a good idea though...!
 d_b 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Bertbee:

Lawrencefield tends to do ok when the weather is a bit crap, but if it is full on wet ming then it will be as bad as anywhere else. In those conditions you may as well go for somewhere exposed and quick drying so you can get on the rock quickly if there is a break in the weather.
 Mutl3y 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Bertbee:

If it's any grit you are interested in then you can climb burglar buttress* at bell hagg, sheffield (not the peak) in a full on downpour.

*youll struggle to top out tho but variations exist.

Not really worth travelling for tho.
 Jonny2vests 24 Apr 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

Climbing wet grit doesn't do it much good you know.
 deepsoup 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Mutl3y:
> Not really worth travelling for tho.

Not even from the West side of Sheffield, arguably.
 Mutl3y 25 Apr 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

A local crag. For local people.
 Offwidth 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Bertbee:
New Mills is best; steep sections of crag facing away from the wind direction also works. There is the Cave at Shining Cliff where we put up a few routes in the rain...grubby wet exit though. Raven Rock gully at the Roaches can stay dry to the exit. Lots of bouldering, the best being the Churnett but try the lower stuff at Cratcliffe or Matlock Bank. Finally you have the limestone cave aid climbs.
Post edited at 11:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...