UKC

Another commuting question - this time it's Brum...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andy 25 Apr 2014
Decided against commuting to Manchester, so my new job now involves a couple of days a week in Solihull. I'm going to rent a serviced apartment in Birmingham to avoid hotel breakfasts, and so will be commuting from central brum to the middle of Solihull. I can leave a bike down there, so probably going to take my single speed CX bike - but was wondering about the best route. The most direct way involves the A34 and the A41 (I think), both presumably busy roads - that doesn't bother me if I can get a reasonable wiggle on (ideally with a bus lane), but wondered if any locals knew of a good way that's still fairly quick (I've looked at the canal, which'll be an option some days, but I'd like to have a way of getting in and back in about 30-40 mins if poss).

I guess going from Brum to Solihull in the morning I'll be going against most of the traffic?

Thanks
 Little Brew 25 Apr 2014
In reply to andy:
Traffic seems to flow both ways, i lived for 18 years between both of those locations, Acocks Green (On the train route between the 2!)

a good way would be as you said A41, ok it is an A road, but it is a Bus route too and has the odd stretch of Bus lanes, not much mind! it is worth having a look on Google street view and looking at some of the junctions, some are 'interesting.'

I still drive stretches of that route regularly and often see mad cyclists on it, but if needs be you can always Train part of it and cycle the rest as it follows the train line most of the way.
Post edited at 09:23
 Wingnut 25 Apr 2014
In reply to andy:
A34/A41 is the way I've usually done it too ... basically, following the route of the no 37 bus. Wouldn't completely discount the canal towpath, though, I've both walked and ridden to and from Brum that way and once you get past the industrial grot near the city centre it's very pleasant.

>>I'm going to rent a serviced apartment in Birmingham
Despite having a reputation for being expensive, there *are* affordable flats to rent in Solihull itself ... may be worth bearing in mind depending on circumstances?
OP andy 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Wingnut: I only need the flat a night or two a week - so this works out cheaper than renting somewhere full time. I just rent it for the nights I'm there, then can leave stuff there over the weekend (including my bike) and then they put it in the room for you the week after.

The towpath looks nice, but it's a fair bit longer - but if I have my CX bike I have the option of either.

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...