UKC

Peak training walk for 3 Peaks challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 richardhopton 25 Apr 2014
Hi
I was looking for suggestions for a longish Peak walk for the 3 peaks challenge.

I was considering the Snowdon Horseshoe as its a long day (5-7 hours) and some of these guys have done little to no hillwalking.
But the obvious Crib Goch puts me off slightly..

We are coming from Birmingham which is why I am ruling out the Lakes as the extra 3 hours drive both ways may be a little too much in a day.

Cheers in advance.

Rich
 The Potato 25 Apr 2014
In reply to richardhopton:
if you dont think they can manage crib goch then just go up the PYG track instead, or park in nant peris, walk up the llanberis track up snowdon and lliwedd then get a bus back down to the car.
Post edited at 15:05

Marsden-Edale?

jcm

Which 3 peaks? If its the national 3pc then the best training for that is trying to sleep in a van that's swerving around the road to get you to your next mountain. If the Yorkshire ones then just do some long walks in the peak district.
OP richardhopton 25 Apr 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Yep, National 3 pk.

Which long walks do you recommend?
Clauso 25 Apr 2014

The Kinder Killer'l kill ya:

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Kinder+Killer

27 miles and 8,400ft of ascent.
 Wesley Orvis 25 Apr 2014

my mate comes up from Birmingham most weekends to the Lakes and he recons that it takes the same time to get to the South Lakes as it does North Wales with the better roads but the mileage is longer going to Wales.

How about the Carneddau circuit? Much quieter and if your not after scrambling a better day out.
 wilkie14c 25 Apr 2014

you simply not going to get the same terrain in the Peak unless you get up on kinder/bleaklow etc
Living in brum I'd get into N Wales myself and get on snowdon/tryfan/glyders etc as you need 3000ft mountains really not the rolling hills of the peak
 Offwidth 25 Apr 2014

An alternate 3 Peaks or a version that dosnt involve the 24 hour target or best of all a longer walk in the same area. Driving around mountain roads at night in a hurry and rushing thorugh communities without contributing to their economy and possibly waking them up at night or increasing risk of rescue through artificially generated fatique isnt what I'd expect folk using UKC to be involved with as they should know better.
 Simon Caldwell 25 Apr 2014

> the extra 3 hours drive both ways may be a little too much in a day

since you're practising for the national 3P, I assume you mean that 3 hours extra is too little?
 Carolyn 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> An alternate 3 Peaks or a version that dosnt involve the 24 hour target

Very few still involve the 24 hour target IME.....

....or at the very least, it gets stretched to summit to summit. It's just too much of a challenge for those who've barely walked on a mountain before, even if they're fairly gym fit.

If you could take the time to read this article to make yourself and other participants aware of the sensitive issues surrounding the n3pc.

http://www.institute-of-fundraising.org.uk/guidance/code-of-fundraising-pra...

Thanks
 The Potato 25 Apr 2014

well good luck to ya anyway. I personally dont see the point in the 3 peaks, a lot of driving, waste of fuel and for what?
Better to do a harder walk like the 14 peaks or yorkshire 3 peaks that doesnt involve hours doing nothing in the car
altirando 25 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I agree. But answering the question, there is an excellent 30 mile circuit of the Berwyn ridge from the Dee valley side that would be easily accessed from Brum. Can provide more details if wanted. And another circuit of the same length of the switchback Clwyd ridge.
 stevieb 25 Apr 2014

A good practice walk is a version of the Edale Skyline which is about 20 miles and includes 3 climbs and mostly good paths. You start from Edale and head up Grindsbrook or Ringing Roger. Over Win Hill, down into Hope then up the other side. When you get to Mam Tor, you can stay on the tops over to Kinder, which can be boggy, or you can drop down and up Jacobs Ladder
altirando 25 Apr 2014

Thought afterwards, just a one way walk on the Clwyd ridge would exercise people who are not regular hill walkers. A continuous switchback of up and down. Especially north to south as the gradients are steeper. Also has the advantage that the trail is wide and obvious, no risk of people getting lost, and there are points where support can be given. Kinder etc is a plateau with easy flat walking once you are up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...