UKC

In defence of M.A.M.I.Ls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnnyW 25 Apr 2014
As I prepare for my PedalonParliament protest tomorrow (google it, and yes, there's a theme here eh?!), I have noticed a good bit of MAMIL bashing going on of late, (Chris Evans was at it this morning on R2), so I thought I'd fight back!

1) I was a YoungerManInLycra once y'know, and getting older doesn't preclude me from (one of) my hobbies, however distasteful you find my attire

2) I originally cycled in more conventional clothing. It simply doesn't work, doesn't do the job, and is uncomfortable. Chaffing, non-absorbent, flappy etc.

3) OK, I am not Wiggo, whether I wear Sky team kit or not, but then neither are you Ronaldo in your football top down the pub, or indeed Alex Honnold in your North Face 'pants'.

Just saying like..............
 nniff 25 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

MAMILs have to be better than 'Tracksuits Worn At The Supermarket' types pushing their junk-laden trolleys along with their bellies.
 balmybaldwin 25 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

I wholehartedly agree.

However, there is no excuse for this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/81028076@N06/7423600134/
 Bob 25 Apr 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

err, that's not lycra!
 Blackmud 25 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

When I used to club ride/race 4/5 years ago the middle aged and older blokes weren't this stereotype of balding midlife crisis blokes throwing excess cash in Italy's general direction, but impressively proficient pedallers with a penchant for pain and pints, in that order. It's a shame that these people will be lumped in with the stereotype due to age, when they've been at it since they were kids and will likely (as many do) keep at it well into old age (one bloke who used to tear it up with the racers doing 90 odd miles in 5 odd hours in summer heat was 71 if I remember right!).

There are only two things to do with people whose views and opinions one finds unsatisfactory:

1. sit on the front and deal out pain on the hills

2. drop them at the top.
 Enty 25 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

If it wasn't for the good old MAMIL I don't think I'd have a viable business.

I had a group of MAMILS in last year, retired Police, dentists etc all with 4k+ bikes. At the beginning fo the week they didn't have a clue - you know, turning their bikes over on the garage floor to put the wheels in, using tyre levers to get tyres off, all that sort of stuff.

By the end of the week I had them riding perfect through and off at 40kmh and even wearing matching socks.

E
 Kimono 25 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

My theory is to try and avoid the jersey/shorts combo…never really works. Stick to black shorts.

Oh, and cycling caps?? Don't get me started
 BelleVedere 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Kimono:
> My theory is to try and avoid the jersey/shorts combo…never really works. Stick to black shorts.

Meh! you'll know if you can pull off a matching kit or not - but if you can you should cos it looks fracking ace done well.

> Oh, and cycling caps?? Don't get me started

well under a helmet - yeah obvs
Post edited at 17:50
 gethin_allen 25 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

I'll defend mamils, all their cash going into the system has to be making road bikes cheaper in the end.
 Enty 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Kimono:

> My theory is to try and avoid the jersey/shorts combo…never really works. Stick to black shorts.

Full-Pro-Kit-Wankers? it's a Facebook group.

> Oh, and cycling caps?? Don't get me started

Now this is interesting. Over the years there's been some cool looking cotton cap wearers:

http://urbanspokes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Tom-Simpson.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/09/20/article-1214854-000E47C300000258-...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m73l6vhKdc1qh7sfno1_1280.jpg

and how not to do it:
http://live.rapha.cc/content/uploads/96-body.jpg

E

andymac 25 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

Cyclists seem to get slagged to shit.

Who cares what chris f*cking Evans thinks.

Lycra wearer and don't give a shit.does the job for me.

What is worse (in some eyes) is that I wear a team Sky Race Cape. Smart as.

I love the fact that the Cycling aristocracy look down on the wearing of such branded merchandise.

wbo 25 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW: I'd. Rather be a MAMIL than a half dead bloater sat at home watching tv and waiting to die.

I'd completely forgotten Chris Evans. Is he funny yet?

TobyA 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

> At the beginning fo the week they didn't have a clue - you know, turning their bikes over on the garage floor to put the wheels in, using tyre levers to get tyres off, all that sort of stuff.

My bike is well less than a quarter of that, but I've probably done all of those things - that's how my dad taught me to fix flats when I was about 8! So, come on, tell us how it's done. Front wheel drops out easy enough but getting the back one out without turning the bike over seems a faff, so there must be some trick. And then some of my tyres I can push off with my thumbs but I don't think I can with all of them - there must be some good trick you have!
 Kimono 25 Apr 2014
In reply to BelleVedere:

> Meh! you'll know if you can pull off a matching kit or not - but if you can you should cos it looks fracking ace done well.

like this:

http://teammamil.com/uploads/3/2/1/5/3215734/7086985.jpg

Enty 25 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Right. Watch a pro mechanic get a back wheel out at the side of the team car in The Tour.
Make sure the chain is on the 11 or 12. Pros who have a puncture will do this as they are slowing down to stop.
Open the skewer, (maybe open the brake - not always needed) hold the bike upright by grasping the seat tube, bang the top of the wheel with your hand, flick the wheel sideways so the chain doesn't get caught on the right hand side of the skewer (much harder if the chain is futher up the casette) - voila!
Perfectly described here:
youtube.com/watch?v=hhlUI9ry2JY&

I haven't used a tyre lever for years. When the tyre is flat go all round the tyre pinching it so the both beads disengage from the rim. Then push the tyre to the centre of the rim where the diameter is smaller than the edge of the rim.
Stand over the wheel, grip the tyre and force it downwards. When you get to the bottom it should just lift off.

Perfectly described here:
youtube.com/watch?v=pLJhoqTpAaI&

E
 The New NickB 25 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I suspect the main skill is using folding tires, never needed levers since I started using them.
 Enty 25 Apr 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I'm off to glue a f*^&*ing tub on - wish me luck.......

E
 Enty 25 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Rule 49 Toby:

It is completely unacceptable to intentionally turn one’s steed upside down for any reason under any circumstances. Besides the risk of scratching the saddle, levers and stem, it is unprofessional and a disgrace to your loyal steed. The risk of the bike falling over is increased, wheel removal/replacement is made more difficult and your bidons will leak. The only reason a bicycle should ever be in an upside down position is during mid-rotation while crashing. This Rule also applies to upside down saddle-mount roof bars.23 <i/>

E
 nr 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Open the skewer, (maybe open the brake - not always needed) hold the bike upright by grasping the seat tube, bang the top of the wheel with your hand, flick the wheel sideways so the chain doesn't get caught on the right hand side of the skewer (much harder if the chain is futher up the casette) - voila!

Right, so I've got the bike in one hand, the wheel in the other, and now just have to wait by the side of the road for my team car to come along and give me a new wheel? Or, lob the bike on it's side on the verge? I may be breaking one of The Rules here, but if I'm on my own, I'll stand the bike on it's bars while I re-fit the wheel. It's just easier. And if I get seen by a Proper Roadie while I'm doing so, they have every right to shout "rule 49" at me.

Anyone else doing The Fred in a couple of weeks? I've probably left it too late to start training, so I'm going to start tapering instead. Don't want to overdo it.

nr.
 Enty 25 Apr 2014
In reply to nr:

You place your bike down gently on it's side, preferably in the grass, then fix the puncture.

Getting a wheel out of an upside down bike is not easier - it just isn't, how can anything be easier than that first video I posted? And why would you ever intentionally let your saddle and brake hoods touch the tarmac and scuff them?

Next you'll be telling me you put your empty gel packets up your shorts leg

E
KevinD 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Next you'll be telling me you put your empty gel packets up your shorts leg

Doesnt everyone?
Makes it far more personal when throwing them through a car window.
 Enty 25 Apr 2014
In reply to dissonance:

Yes!

E
 Blackmud 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

You've clearly never tried to take a conti ultra hardhsell off a khamsin.

It all depends on the combination. I worked in a bike shop for 5 years and the mechanics (yes, they knew exactly what they were doing) would have to break out the hardwear for certain combinations. A worn in folding roadie tyre does usually fly off the rim right enough, but schwalbe marathon pluses on some hybrid wheel are a different story entirely!
 Enty 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Blackmud:

I'll concede to the Khamsin. Shocking, ditched them years ago.

E
 TobyA 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Next you'll be telling me you put your empty gel packets up your shorts leg

I'm gonna stick mine up your shorts leg!

Thanks for the videos - actually come to think of it I have been doing that in part some what already, although I hadn't thought about dropping it into low gear. Nevertheless, having to put your bike down on the rear mech seems worse to me than putting it over on its saddle. The saddle already has to deal with my arse, a bit of grass won't do it any damage! But squash the mech if you're not careful (or break the hanger I suppose is most likely) and that's money.

Enty 25 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, rear mech damage is a danger. Lay it down gently on the other side.

For a full round of applause hang it from a road sign or a low tree branch by the nose of the saddle

Seriously though, if you're with a group you can get a puncture down to less than 2 minutes. One holds the bike, one deals with the new tube and pump whilst the owner of the bike removes wheel and tyre.

I was in a group in Mallorca last month and one guy double punctured over a big pot-hole. Team effort got us away in less than 5 minutes. And the saddle, brake hoods and rear mech never touched the ground

E
 TobyA 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Blackmud:

> but schwalbe marathon pluses on some hybrid wheel are a different story entirely!

Been there done that. For more fun, try a marathon plus winter (studded) at -10! (see first pic here: http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/boys-on-black-bikes-socio-e... ). We have to change car tyres twice a year here so you develop a system for that, but I found when changing my bike tyres in late autumn it was the whole wheels off and keep them overnight in house along with the studded tyres I was going to replace them with. After warming them all up to room temp, you could manage the swap.

Funnily, I have Marathon Plus Tours currently on my CX and they were a breeze to fit - didn't need a tyre lever at all, so as you say must be all down to the rim combination.

Enty 25 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Does anyone make their own studded tyres? is it possible? I always wondered.

E
 TobyA 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

There are things floating around the internet on people putting screw through to make spikes etc. but it seems like a lot of effort. You can buy studded bike tyre here even in some of the big supermarkets that have a sports section and they're not outrageously expensive, particularly the non-brand ones from the Finnish equivalent of Halfords.
 Enty 25 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

When I used to ride mountain bikes in Lancs / Yorks I sometimes wondered this but I'm not keen enough now - Amber Solaire is my most important accessory nowadays.

E
 James FR 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

Thanks for those videos. I learnt that the most important tip is "line up the tyre logo with the valve to keep it pro".
 Enty 25 Apr 2014
In reply to James FR:

> "line up the tyre logo with the valve to keep it pro".

Bang on!

E
 Blackmud 25 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Yup. Re: diy studded tyres, one of the mechanics at my bike shop did that once, put a 2 or 3mm diameter bolt through every knobble with a nut on the outside. When riding to work on hard packed snow he slammed on his brakes (with monster rotors) and the tyre spun round on the rim, it had so much grip on the road but I guess perhaps lower temps and pressure caused the grip of the tyre on the rim to be reduced. I've never seen that happen to anyone else.
 Blackmud 25 Apr 2014
In reply to James FR:

And scrap the lock ring and dust cap. I used to tell people that they only put these in to meet shipping requirements.
 Enty 25 Apr 2014
In reply to James FR:

That's rule 40 by the way.

I rather shoddily took a quick photo of my new bike last month and got pulled up on valve alignment. Not in terms of valve to tyre logo, but having valves in the same place for the photo. Rule 26!

E

Enty 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Blackmud:

> And scrap the lock ring and dust cap. I used to tell people that they only put these in to meet shipping requirements.

Love this one - when I change a tube for a new client and casually throw the lock ring and dust cap in the bin. The look on their face!

E
 Blackmud 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

And isn't there one about drive side crank arm running in line with seat tube? Funny. Also, coloured leg/knee warmers with black shorts look terrible, especially white ones.

Shame my road bike is still at my parents house 350 miles away, all I have up here is a condor fixed gear (two brakes, mudguards and rack fixed gear, not bright colours, retro graphics and narrow handlebars fixed gear) and the wind up here is ridiculous. It'd make me a beast, but the prospect of slogging into a direct headwind on my own for miles isn't too attractive.
 balmybaldwin 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

Tried it once in my teens, managed about a meter before my tyres were flat!
> Does anyone make their own studded tyres? is it possible? I always wondered.

> E

Wee Davie 25 Apr 2014
In reply:

Velominati Rule #32
Humps are for camels: no hydration packs.
Hydration packs are never to be seen on a road rider’s body. No argument will be entered into on this. For MTB, they are cool.

A nice hydration pack vs the archaic, rattly (and dirty) frame mounted bottle combo...

Somebody give me a good reason to not use a pack?

didntcomelast 25 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

I ride a Pashley. Its the type of bike you can ride in good old conventional clothing, I have even been known t wear my tweed jacket on chilly days.

Its the way forward.
 Blackmud 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Wee Davie:

Uncomfortable as it causes a hot and sweaty back and bears down on your heaving diaphragm as you grovel up hills, teeth clamped firmly around the handlebars?

Or unfashionable.

One or the other.
 Blackmud 25 Apr 2014
In reply to didntcomelast:

Pashley's are sin. Ever had a rear puncture and had to dismantle basically every mechanism on the bike to get the back wheel out? Aesthetically wonderful, but from a mechanic's point of view, something of a shambles. They also weigh as much as a small car.
 Wee Davie 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Blackmud:

I don't care about fashion in this argument. I've used bottles/cages on a good few bikes (mtb and road) and I'm a big unfan of them now that hydration packs are available because-

a) I don't like any extraneous scheidt on my bikes.
b) I dislike extraneous scheidt that can get loose or rattle on a ride.
b+) That includes saddlebag toolkits.
c) Bottles get dirty from the road. Lovely.
d) I don't like adding weight onto the bike itself.
e) Bottles ruin the clean lines of the bike.
f) Just because.
 didntcomelast 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Blackmud:

Owning it is a bit like owning a landrover, you know its not perfect, or light, but its so pleasant to ride and you cant help but smile when out and about. Marathon plus tyres have helped in the puncture stakes, but yes its all or nothing when it comes to the rear wheel. Ive been trying to tension the chain for weeks, what a pain, but I still love it.
 Richard Carter 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Blackmud:

Sounds like my bike, I have an Itera plastic bike - fixing a rear puncture is a major undertaking :-P
 Hat Dude 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Right. Watch a pro mechanic get a back wheel out at the side of the team car in The Tour.

As a nice touch on the Tour of Pembrokeshire at the weekend; they had a Mavic support car and motorbike.

Unfortunately neither was around when I punctured but just as a friend did, the car arrived; out jumped a guy and the wheel was out fixed and back in the blink of an eye. Friends only complaint was that he didn't get a breather!
aligibb 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

hmmm, I still haven't managed this and bike has to be firmly plonked upside down. I then commence battle with the rim and tyre for about 10mins to get it off, quickly sort the tube and recommence for another 10mins to get it back on.

There is a growing lost of people (all men!) who I have been out riding with when I have punctured and they see me start and grab my wheel off me in a superior way, NOOOO that's not how you do it, here let me.

They battle for 15mins and then give in using and snapping tyre levers along the way. And I finish the job off.

I think it must be the worst possible rim/tyre combo, but it is a 25yr old bike with some pretty old wheels on it too. Here in all its glory mid puncture - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=684165631625795&set=pcb.6841669...
 TimB 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:
> Does anyone make their own studded tyres? is it possible? I always wondered.

I saw a DIY version with cable ties a while back (disc brakes only...) hang on...

There it is : http://inhabitat.com/make-snow-tires-for-your-bike-with-zip-ties/
Post edited at 11:02
 TomBaker 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

> I had a group of MAMILS in last year, retired Police, dentists etc all with 4k+ bikes. At the beginning fo the week they didn't have a clue - you know, turning their bikes over on the garage floor to put the wheels in, using tyre levers to get tyres off, all that sort of stuff.

> By the end of the week I had them riding perfect through and off at 40kmh and even wearing matching socks.

> E

Whats wrong with all those things? I'm not middle aged yet, just used to mountain biking rather than roads.
 lynda 29 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

my only plea is; DON'T wear white lycra shorts.

The sight of back hair poking through and bum crack is really off-putting
 Richard Carter 29 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

At what are you a MAMIL? 40? I guess it's when you reach half the life expectancy for where you live?
 GrahamD 29 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

I'm an aspirant MAMIL and proud of it.

I own a bike with a spec way better than my cycling warrants and I love it !
 Kimono 29 Apr 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> I'm an aspirant MAMIL and proud of it.

> I own a bike with a spec way better than my cycling warrants and I love it !

new question:
how is this 'spec to ability' ratio measured?
In reply to JohnnyW:

whats a mamil?
 Liam M 29 Apr 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Middle Aged Man in Lycra. To some the phrase has derogatory 'All the Gear, No Idea' connotations.

In reply to Liam M:

> Middle Aged Man in Lycra. To some the phrase has derogatory 'All the Gear, No Idea' connotations.

Oh, I see. Well that's a shame as I am just about to go out and purchase a roadbike as a way to exercise when I'm injured from running as I am now. Do I need to ride my bike in harris tweed and long socks or perhaps a shell suit. Maybe a hoodie and jeans showing my undercrackers would be a better idea?

Or maybe I shouldnt go and buy a bike at all and instead sit on my arse and do nowt because some pillocks object to seeing more mature gents in tight shorts and aerodynamic tops. Im 38; am I middle aged?

Chris alive, some people really do have too much time on their hands.
 Bob 29 Apr 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I'm 55, by the time you get here you don't give a **** what anyone thinks!
 Sir Chasm 29 Apr 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> whats a mamil?

Enty.
 GrahamD 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Kimono:

> how is this 'spec to ability' ratio measured?

I'm not sure its measured - more a self realisation that you have bought a racing style bike just for the look and feel and sod the fact that you only ever bimble round sportives or the local pubs....and you don't care !
 jethro kiernan 29 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

What ever bike spec you get it will never be as over speced as most cars and never as over speced as a chelsea tractor
 blurty 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Bob:

> I'm 55, by the time you get here you don't give a **** what anyone thinks!

Yep, it's one of the few advantages of getting older

OP JohnnyW 29 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

Wull, I'm not sure my Claude Butler Echelon is over-specced. I would like something more exotic, but I feel I need something that matches my 'steady sportive' style, and I just can't justify the expense...........
 GrahamD 29 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

The expense is justified a) because you want it and b) its still very cheap for a mid life crisis
In reply to Enty:

> Besides the risk of scratching the saddle, levers and stem,

Bloody road biking primadonnas. Get a proper bike* and give it some battle scars. You'll soon stop bothering about a few little scratches.

* a mountain bike. I'd like to see you taking the tyres off an MTB wheel without levers.

Bob 29 Apr 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

> * a mountain bike. I'd like to see you taking the tyres off an MTB wheel without levers.

>

I do hope you are joking! Even a namby pamby baggie wearing MTB rider shouldn't need levers.

In reply to Bob:

In truth, I think it depends on how new the tyre is, and how many times it's been on and off. New tyres can be a sod to get on and off, even with levers, but usually get easier as the bead stretches*.

I don't wear baggy shorts or tops; I'm a reformed roadie...

* but that doesn't make for snappy 'rules', does it...?
 steev 29 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

The sooner folk in this country get over the idea that lycra is some kind of weird fetish the better.
 steev 29 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

Ditto those tedious 'rules'.
 Liam M 29 Apr 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I didn't suggest it was my position; I'm happy to see anyone getting out and enjoying activity.

I'm just explaining the term, and the way the phrase is sometimes perceived, hence giving rise to the thread title
 Kimono 30 Apr 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Bloody road biking primadonnas. Get a proper bike* and give it some battle scars. You'll soon stop bothering about a few little scratches.

> * a mountain bike. I'd like to see you taking the tyres off an MTB wheel without levers.

>

depends on whether you have headless tyres or not.
That said, i can remove my tyres without levers but i still turn my bike upside down….much easier.
And, as you say, its already got its battle-scars
 Kimono 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Kimono:

er, beadless of course

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...